What's Next For Hammell?

Iain7_mfc

Gannon is now 4 games in to his career at the 'well and has dropped Hammell after the 3rd. Being honest, i don't think we'd miss Hammell that much if he left as Reynolds showed he is more than capable of filling the gap. Hutchinson had a great game tonight at centre half and i hope Craigan can use his knowledge and experience to develop the guy more.

Is this the end for Stevie????

Unless we revert back to normal in future then I can't see Hammell playing a major role as Reynolds looked very comfortable at the back and going forward. It speaks volumes when, after never playing a senior game at that position and replacing a man who's made well over 200, that you could not have told which was which.

I think Hammell will retain his place in the squad as it will serve us well to have a lot of people who can play all over defence, but his days in the starting XI are over I think.

What next?

time to fight for a place in the starting squad, like it should be,for too long, too many have been aware they'd be in the starting 11 due the the squad structure.

He believed he was good enough to move on in the past, he should continue to believe he's good enough and win his place back to prove it, now he and others just have to knuckle down and get on with it.

He's been dropped for one game, and now has to prove he's worth getting back into the team.

That's how football squads work. :cheers:

Aye, but its a new concept for our squad to have to fight for a starting place. Theres never been more than one player per positon before with this squad :mellow:

I would still have Hammell at left back and put Reynolds in midfield, but what the fuck do I know. The manager stumped us all with his formation and ended up winning 8-1.

From now on I am just going to accept his word as gospel.

Amen to that :mellow:

i wouldn't read too much into tonight's game, i'd imagine that gannon had them pegged as the shower of shit they are after the game over there.

heard a boy behind me say he thought reynolds was probably at left back to nulify there right winger who was clearly there tap man. think that could be the case and as much as reynolds strolled it i still don't think his distribution is good enough to play fullback.

First he probably needs to lose some weight. If you look at the team photo in the programme tonight he's almost as big as Andrew Mumford!

I've always rated Hammell, I think he's a good player and just because he's been dropped for one match doesn't mean its the end for him.

It's also pretty annoying when people praise Reynolds for having one decent game at left back when Hammell has literally had a hundred good games for Motherwell in the same position.

Hammell also played really well in the away tie against Llanelli and put in a beauty of a cross for one of the goals. Gannon is just being canny and giving him a wee kick up the arse to get more out of him. He's already crossed swords with Craigan and dropped Lasley tonight as well. Looks like he's working his way through the experienced players in the side and letting them now they won't get an easy ride.

I'd expect Hammell to play a big part in the upcoming season.

I think we have to trust Gannon's judgement here. He got it right when he lambasted the team after losing to Llanelli, and now he's maybe given some a kick up the arse to show that they're not a first pick.

Plus of course Jay's right. It is a squad game and Flamurtari weren't the greatest side in the world, but he's shown that he's going to pick the best side to win a particular game, rather than stick with the predictable.

Those who know me will tell you how much I love Hammell...

Best crosser of a ball in our team bar none, yet EVERY time he bombs down the left he opts to cut inside rather than hit the byline. Never goes on the overlap and never makes himself available for a pass when we are on the attack.

I suspect these are the reasons he has been dropped. Nothing wrong with his defensive ability but simply must show more effort and variety going forward.

Unless we revert back to normal in future then I can't see Hammell playing a major role as Reynolds looked very comfortable at the back and going forward. It speaks volumes when, after never playing a senior game at that position and replacing a man who's made well over 200, that you could not have told which was which.

I think Hammell will retain his place in the squad as it will serve us well to have a lot of people who can play all over defence, but his days in the starting XI are over I think.

I'm quite surprised that after we turned over the albanian minnows without hammell in the squad that people think his career is now over.

What a load of shite, he's been a mainstay in our squad for years and had more assists last season than any other player.

He needed a kick right up the backside, IMHO i felt in the first game against llanelli he looked completely disinterested.

Gannon's message has been sent out and if he responds in the right way i'm sure he'll be back

I think it was simply an indication that Jim Gannon will use the entire squad in whichever way he feels is required to win the game.

The omissions of Smith and Fitzpatrick may prove to be significant, but I don't think the starting 11 was an inidication that Hammell and Lasley are going to be permanently out of the team.

I'm with the guys who wouldn't read too much into Hammell being dropped. Gannon went with a formation to do a job last night and by god they did that and then some.

Hammell I am sure has a big part to play this season and what we saw last night was the tactical genius that is Jim Gannon :huh::notworthy:

Stuart.

Agreed. There's no way that back 4 will start a single SPL game, O'Brien is no right back and I dont think Saunders is up to it to be honest. Hutchison to RB maybe? And Reynolds back in the middle with Hammell back in.

Maybe Saunders will prove me wrong, looks way to lightweight for that position.

Agreed. There's no way that back 4 will start a single SPL game, O'Brien is no right back and I dont think Saunders is up to it to be honest. Hutchison to RB maybe? And Reynolds back in the middle with Hammell back in.

Maybe Saunders will prove me wrong, looks way to lightweight for that position.

:D He's just turned 18 man - give him a bit of time to develop

i think hammell is the best all round player we have.

Goodyin <_<

Personally I like the thought of Reynolds at left back, he has pace and unlike Hammell ( Who I have said on many occassion I believe to be overweight and average) has a defensive side to his game. O'Brien is never a right back (Or for that matter a good football player), but I believe we have a right back already in the form of Page. For me he is more assured than Saunders, and okay maybe he doesnt go forward as much he is a better defender i believe than Saunders and at the end of the day isnt that what we are really looking for? Hutchienson, for me looked very assured, obviously we need a centre half added to the sqaud, but our defensive problems arent as deep as first thought, and think positivly, with a keeper that isnt a bombscare behind them, they will improve!