St Johnstone Match Thread - The Dawning Of A New Era!

steelboy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in myself and I an happy with the point. Don't think before the game I would have been too excited by that result but that's football. The Well support today was tremendous. The two goals we scored were crackers especially Forbes'.

O'Brien was VERY unlucky. INSIDE of the post he hit, with Main static, and it flashed across goal. Ruddy looked poor. Saints missed wildly at an open goal when Ruddy slid out his box at the corner for a 50-50 and MISSED the ball completley. He also should have done much better for the first goal. No idea how he didn't get it.

Hammell looked like a first division player. Poor choices in play and a lack of concentration. If we have enough time to replace him after a transfer then Dundee can have him. O'Brien showed flashes of genius but again his final product just wasn't there. Sutton won everything in the air but whats the point of knock downs from headers when you are the ONLY man up front and surrounded by defenders?? Not Sutton's fault. I think he needs a nippy partner up front to help him. Two man attack of McHugh and Sutton for me at the mo. O'Brien on the left, Murphy in the right (with both falling into midfield when required) and a midfield of Coke and Forbes.

For me Jamie Murphy was our best player today. I know a lot of people will go for Forbes, Coke, or even Hateley but ome of Jamie's work was very similar to the promise he showed at the start of last year.

One thing is sure.....we are going to concede a ton of goals this year......but we are going to score just as many.

I'll say one thing about Gannon. He has bottle.......and his team formation is bloody hard to figure out at times :lol:

Just in,

Missed the first 15 minutes due to the traffic chaos at castlecary. At one point was contemplating just saying f*ck it and heading to the clyde stirling albion game. Glad i carried on, fantastic game of football. One of the best i think we'll see this season as i can picture some of the dross games coming up over the winter.

St Johnstone were impressive and will be no where near the bottom of the table on this showing. They were solid first half and second half it was 50/50.

I'll need to see the replay tonight, but thought the ball had crossed the line just before they scored, and as others have said Ruddy and the defence in general were shocking. Anytime St Johnstone were near our goal you expected them to score.

Stand out performances for me were from Coke, Murphy, Humphreys when he came on, McHugh, Hateley who was solid at right back and my man of the match Ross Forbes. Wonder strike from him. JOB was unlucky with his effort and we also had a header that whistled over the bar.

Superb game of football. Bring on Killie with next week.........then McGhee. Come on well!!

Yeah decent summary Al-B

only thing I'd say is in the first half it seemed like they had acres of space in behind our very light wieght midfield, it almost seemed at times we were a man down the way the team lined up, The line up didn't work but JG sorted it for sure second half:

First half it seemed more like:

----------------Ruddy---------------

Hateley---Hutchison---Craigan---Hammell

----------------Reynolds-------------------

------------------Coke------------------

------Murphy----Forbes-----O'Brien------

-------------------Sutton---------------------

with Coke and Reynolds in the same hole? and Hammell was getting raped with them having a free run at him.

Second half was what I had hoped to see from the off, high speed, passing game with lots of enthusiasm from the boys, McHugh (son of Dooooogiieeee!) changed the game :lol: , his direct approach seemed to help inspire the likes of Forbes and Murphy who had been very quiet earlier on.

Still a lot to be concerned about, defensively, but this young side have goals in them so we should be ok.

Hately slotted in Ok, he's not a right back yet but I'd rather have him than OBrien in there,

the Humph looked much better today when he came on

Dissapointed in Hammell and Obrien, Saints fans definately got to Hammell and O'Brien looked well out of sorts with the exception of him dipping inside and unleashing a stormer that rattled the woodwork near the end.

*********BBC Alba @8 tonight just to see another Forbes wonder goal************

I'll need to see the replay tonight, but thought the ball had crossed the line just before they scored, and as others have said Ruddy and the defence in general were shocking. Anytime St Johnstone were near our goal you expected them to score.

Stand out performances for me were from Coke, Murphy, Humphreys when he came on, McHugh, Hateley who was solid at right back and my man of the match Ross Forbes. Wonder strike from him. JOB was unlucky with his effort and we also had a header that whistled over the bar.

Pretty much what I thought of the game as well. Good not to see the young boys' heads go down despite going a goal down twice.

Hammell looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights a few times. I don't think he'll be playing next week.

As for Dougie McDonald - fekkin joke!!

I'll say one thing about Gannon. He has bottle.......and his team formation is bloody hard to figure out at times :lol:

I'll agree with that :notworthy:

I didnt manage to catch any of the game at all but after reading the report on the 'fishel site when I got in, I had no idea who was playing where :lol: All I made out was a lot of midfielders and no known right back to begin with :lol:

Overall, I'm pleased with the point, I had us down to either put a barrow load past them or get beaten 1-0, so happy to meet in the middle.

Watching Alba and it seems Ruddy is wearing a goal keeper top 2 sizes too big for him. Where is our pink or aqua looking strip gone?

Aye and the MFC logo (no badge) is a transfer rather than stitching. Terrible looking. I can only think it is the following;

Keeper can't wear blue when we are playing St Johnstone, Rangers, etc.

That pink abortion will NEVER see the light of day again :D

I always feel an away point is a good result in this league. Just look today Celtic were the only other team that managed anything. So I don't think there is anything to be despondent about.

We were defensively all over the place at times today but we created quite a lot going forward, the thing that worries me most is on days it doesn't happen for us up top I can see us shipping three or four to pretty ordinary teams.

Thought Gannon had flipped when I saw the changes he was making at HT but to be fair to him it encouraged us to play more on the deck and their defenders seemed a lot more uncomfortable when we did that.

Our two goals were sensational, the use of the neck muscle by Hutchinson for his header was probably harder to pull off than Forbes's shot. O'Brien's effort was out of the top drawer as well, I thought it was going to bounce in rather than back. I take it from the lack of protestation on here the other 'goal' definitely hit hs hand? Never really saw that but Murphy never argued.

All in reasonably pleased - I knew our defence was shite before i went and nothing has changed.

Al B's summary of the game was spot on to be honest.

We were pretty shaky at the back throughout but dangerous going forward.

Impressed with Forbes again and the boy Humphrey looked like he had good delivery.

Gannon is not scared to change it and i'm pretty sure he doesnt fancy Sutton so i would anticipate a striker in the nxt couple of weeks.

Happy with the point, St Johnstone will do ok.

Edit to add: What was up with Slane today, injury or just left out?

Injured in the warm-up apparently.

On the subject of Hammell, there was a moment just after the restart following St Johnstone's opener when the ball was played out wide to him, but he wasn't remotely concentrating on the game and the ball went past him and out for a throw. I wouldn't even expect to see that kind of thing at our 7-asides on a Tuesday night :D

Cracking game of football 2nd half. Wish JG hadn't taken Craigan off mind you at half time. Ok we had lost a goal but it took a wicked deflection. 2nd half i was watching through ma fingers every time they got by the half way line. :D . Craggs might not be silky but by feck when he's not playing we're a BOMBSCARE at the back. We need 3 players a centrehalf a right back and another striker. At times today we were really good and definately glad i went today even if ma blood preassure was going through the roof. :lol: . Funny feeling i'll be saying that a few times this season with our exciting young guns.

Al B's summary of the game was spot on to be honest.

We were pretty shaky at the back throughout but dangerous going forward.

Impressed with Forbes again and the boy Humphrey looked like he had good delivery.

Gannon is not scared to change it and i'm pretty sure he doesnt fancy Sutton so i would anticipate a striker in the nxt couple of weeks.

Happy with the point, St Johnstone will do ok.

I'd agree as well. Funny you say that about Sutton as I get the impression that Gannon likes him. The tactic in the first half was to direct everything through Sutton as worked so well against Flamurtari and Steaua. It was just the nature of the opposition that meant it didn't work today.

St. Johnstone look like they'll cause teams problems, they're big and strong, good in the air and very direct. I do believe they may struggle against "football" teams though and the likes of Celtic are likely to run rings around them on the deck. The second half was so different due to the way we played changing and we looked much more dangerous running at their defence. I think the second round of games are likely to be quite different to the first as I reckon the manager will be coming up with a tactic to suit each opposition.

Humphrey looked better today, maybe just needs some game time to get up to speed. The big worry's the defence but hopefully if we can bring in an experienced right-back we can shore things up a bit. Oh and despite his heart in mouth moments, Ruddy kept us in the game with a couple of stunning saves.

On the radio on the way home I heard Sandy Clark (i think), say he was going to give the MOM to Hateley before Forbes rattled one in.

I mean, the boy didnt play terrible but i thought he was no better than half decent and that Right Back isnt his preferred position. Seemed to want to drift infield a lot

I forgot how much of a c**t Sandy Clark was, not for his comments, just in general.

Injured in the warm-up apparently.

On the subject of Hammell, there was a moment just after the restart following St Johnstone's opener when the ball was played out wide to him, but he wasn't remotely concentrating on the game and the ball went past him and out for a throw. I wouldn't even expect to see that kind of thing at our 7-asides on a Tuesday night :D

Lol eh I can't say I share your confidence there.

Have to say I don't think Sutton or Craigan had done much wrong in first half. That said can't argue with changes we were far better 2nd half than 1st. St.Johnstone were no great shakes though. I feel today whave not learned a great deal as to how our season will go.

Lots of positives, quite a few negatives but all in a thrilling second half and if we add wins to that level of entertainment we'll be in for an interesting season.

I have to disagree about whoever said O'Brien was out of sorts, was about only bright spot in first half and lively throughout. Question marks as usual over end product at times but looked decent I thought.