St Johnstone Match Thread - The Dawning Of A New Era!

steelboy

Apologies if mentioned before but what happened to Slane he was warming up and named in team announced over tannoy? Did he pick up aninjury or was he ill :doh:

From official site:

The Steelmen didn’t have the best preparation when Paul Slane limped off just minutes before kick-off.

The young winger had been struggling with a minor calf problem and despite the best efforts of the medical team, just wasn’t able to start the game.

“He’s been feeling a tight calf all week but he was wanted to play, in fact, he was desperate to play but as a precaution we felt it best to take him out to ensure he doesn’t do any more damage,” said Gannon.

“We made the decision to change it about five or six minutes before the kick-off. He came in complaining about the calf. He got a rub and a bit of treatment and he was keen to play but I could see from his body language that he wasn’t totally happy.

“We made a couple of quick adjustments. Like I’ve said, you get paid to make these sorts of calls and we tried to deal with it dynamically. I think it was the safest thing to do but it was a shame for the lad but it gave Tom Hateley the opportunity to come in and done fantastically well.”

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=132

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to start...

First half, I would agree we looked nervous. Weight of expectations possibly given the optimism about the place? Having said that, re-watching the game on Alba last night, we created more in the first half than I remembered. I don't think Sutton was having that bad a game. Was winning a lot of ball but no one seemed to be getting close enough to him to make enough of the second ball.

Second half, we did look a lot more dangerous. Every time we went forward, it looked like we could score. I think Murphy looks a far better player playing as a centre forward and the combination of McHugh and him has potential. Humphrey looked better than he had done previously but I have to say that could have been down to the fact we were putting the ball in front of him with no one to beat and no time to think, just enough time to whip it in. On the odd occasion he had more time to think or had an opponent to beat, he seemed to struggle. Maybe needs a wee bit of coaching on his decisionmaking? No coincidence that we looked better when Coke and Forbes came into the game more. Not sure if there's enough bite in the two of them to play as a midfield 2 in a 4-4-2 in the SPL. Having said that, Coke put in a couple of crunching challenges yesterday, obviously doesn't know McDonald's fondness for sending off Motherwell players.

And now on to the defence. Hately did quite well for his debut. Obvious that he wasn't a natural full back but did well enough in the role. I like Hutchison, big and very raw, but I think all the tools are there for him to become a very good centre back. Reynolds even looked decent at centre back. Less said about Hammell the better really. Ruddy is the new Dykstra. Good goalkeeper, but some moments of real insanity.

I didn't think Craigan was playing that badly and I thought his distribution was no worse than Hutchisons so the change, even though it worked, does strike me as a strange one. I can see the reasoning behind the Sutton change more as we were obviously going more for the mobile on the deck approach. How the likes of Sutton, Craigan and Lasley react to be benched or sidelined, and how Gannon deals with these players that we will need at some point over the season, will say a lot about each of their characters. Gannon has to be careful not to alienate players he might need to call upon.

One thing's for sure. This is not going to be a dull season...

Where to start...

First half, I would agree we looked nervous. Weight of expectations possibly given the optimism about the place? Having said that, re-watching the game on Alba last night, we created more in the first half than I remembered. I don't think Sutton was having that bad a game. Was winning a lot of ball but no one seemed to be getting close enough to him to make enough of the second ball.

Second half, we did look a lot more dangerous. Every time we went forward, it looked like we could score. I think Murphy looks a far better player playing as a centre forward and the combination of McHugh and him has potential. Humphrey looked better than he had done previously but I have to say that could have been down to the fact we were putting the ball in front of him with no one to beat and no time to think, just enough time to whip it in. On the odd occasion he had more time to think or had an opponent to beat, he seemed to struggle. Maybe needs a wee bit of coaching on his decisionmaking? No coincidence that we looked better when Coke and Forbes came into the game more. Not sure if there's enough bite in the two of them to play as a midfield 2 in a 4-4-2 in the SPL. Having said that, Coke put in a couple of crunching challenges yesterday, obviously doesn't know McDonald's fondness for sending off Motherwell players.

And now on to the defence. Hately did quite well for his debut. Obvious that he wasn't a natural full back but did well enough in the role. I like Hutchison, big and very raw, but I think all the tools are there for him to become a very good centre back. Reynolds even looked decent at centre back. Less said about Hammell the better really. Ruddy is the new Dykstra. Good goalkeeper, but some moments of real insanity.

I didn't think Craigan was playing that badly and I thought his distribution was no worse than Hutchisons so the change, even though it worked, does strike me as a strange one. I can see the reasoning behind the Sutton change more as we were obviously going more for the mobile on the deck approach. How the likes of Sutton, Craigan and Lasley react to be benched or sidelined, and how Gannon deals with these players that we will need at some point over the season, will say a lot about each of their characters. Gannon has to be careful not to alienate players he might need to call upon.

One thing's for sure. This is not going to be a dull season...

Melvin,

Agree with most of your view, and I thought the Craigan hook was to get Reynolds out of midfield where in my opinion he is not mobile enough, but Gannon recognises that he is still decent at the back. Maybe Hutchinson and Reynolds is an option?

In his interview he explicitly stated "We needed players who were going to take more responsibility to pass the ball properly and attack with a bit of what we call slick and quick". AFAIC that's why Craigan was hooked - maybe he'd been told to lead by example and keep it on the deck, and when he hadn't, off he came?

I'm just in the door, and I never got a chance to listen to the game today. I can't be arsed reading through a 22 page thread, so would some kind soul post a breakdown of how we did please? The goals we scored & conceded, what were they like? How did we line up, wat subbies did we use, and how did we play?

A tad lazy, but it'll only take a few minutes for somebody to reply :huh:

Cheers.

Anybody?

First half we were a bit out of sorts, not playing as well as we have been. Much of that was down to Saints enthusiasm and workrate. They were dangerous at set plays and caused us problems throughout.

The first goal should've been cleared before it came back in, although it did require a jammy deflection to find the net.

Second half was much better, with Gannon's personell and tactical changes reviving the team and giving us an exciting forty five minutes. Both our goals were terrific and we could and maybe should have had more.

Their second goal was much like the first, very avoidable and poorly defended, although they did get the bounce of the ball.

All in all it wasn't too bad a game, and a point on the opening day is alright.

Cheers for the updates Yir! Wasn't easy waiting for texts when you are over a thousand miles from home, though I did attract a few quizzical looks dancing around at the equaliser....

lost 2 goals from corners. thought we were impressive going forward 2nd half, but some of the defending yesterday was terrible. made it a cracking game though

i would start mchugh next game, he was my man of match

By the way was it a handball? In the heat of the moment i thought it was a great goal but I am disgracefully biased :lol:

Commenting on a cheeky Maradona-style goal bid spotted by ref Dougie McDonald, Well's JAMIE MURPHY confessed: "It was a handball. I don't know what I was thinking of. It was just a reaction. I apologised and took the yellow card."

Journeyed up to Perth yesterday to take in the first game of the SPL season and I think given that SJ were always going to be up for it big time and that our guys haven't really bedded-in yet then a draw was always going to be acceptable. Its a point away from home and regardless of the opposition that's always acceptable.

As for the game. Overall, I felt SJ were the better team and probably should have won. First half definitely belonged to them and we were very poor. Our second half performance was much better and we always looked to go forward and we did create chances but they missed a couple of good chances to kill us off.

Fair play to Jim Gannon. At last we have a manager who when he sees something isn't working, he makes changes - early. His two half-time changes in taking off Craigan and Sutton were brave but they were needed and they worked.

The most disappointing feature of our play yesterday was that we are still incapable of dealing with bog-standard crosses into our penalty box. Both SJ goals resulted from a deep cross to our back post which was then headed back across the goal and caused chaos and resulted in both goals (although the first goal did take a wicked deflection on its way past Ruddy). SJ continually adopted this tactic all afternoon and got a lot of joy from it - long throws, crosses and corners - and we were atrocious at trying to deal with it. When we put Reynolds back with Hutchison and made Hutchison the 'attack the ball in the air defender' we did look a little better.

Apart from our frailties with crosses we also looked very weak and poor on the left side of our defence with Hammell and O'Brien really struggling at times and SJ continually looked to exploit this, particularly Hammell's poor defensive positioning.

Considering he was chucked in at the last minute, young Hately was excellent at right-back. Coke was terrific and along with SJ Jody Morris was the most accomplished player on both sides.

From what I've seen so far (SPL and Europa League) I think we will struggle badly unless:

- sort out the centre-half position;

- sort out the left-back position;

- get another forward in - one who can hold take the ball in and hold it up.

But again good to have a manager who walks the talk as they say.

Journeyed up to Perth yesterday to take in the first game of the SPL season and I think given that SJ were always going to be up for it big time and that our guys haven't really bedded-in yet then a draw was always going to be acceptable. Its a point away from home and regardless of the opposition that's always acceptable.

As for the game. Overall, I felt SJ were the better team and probably should have won. First half definitely belonged to them and we were very poor. Our second half performance was much better and we always looked to go forward and we did create chances but they missed a couple of good chances to kill us off.

Fair play to Jim Gannon. At last we have a manager who when he sees something isn't working, he makes changes - early. His two half-time changes in taking off Craigan and Sutton were brave but they were needed and they worked.

The most disappointing feature of our play yesterday was that we are still incapable of dealing with bog-standard crosses into our penalty box. Both SJ goals resulted from a deep cross to our back post which was then headed back across the goal and caused chaos and resulted in both goals (although the first goal did take a wicked deflection on its way past Ruddy). SJ continually adopted this tactic all afternoon and got a lot of joy from it - long throws, crosses and corners - and we were atrocious at trying to deal with it. When we put Reynolds back with Hutchison and made Hutchison the 'attack the ball in the air defender' we did look a little better.

Apart from our frailties with crosses we also looked very weak and poor on the left side of our defence with Hammell and O'Brien really struggling at times and SJ continually looked to exploit this, particularly Hammell's poor defensive positioning.

Considering he was chucked in at the last minute, young Hately was excellent at right-back. Coke was terrific and along with SJ Jody Morris was the most accomplished player on both sides.

From what I've seen so far (SPL and Europa League) I think we will struggle badly unless:

- sort out the centre-half position;

- sort out the left-back position;

- get another forward in - one who can hold take the ball in and hold it up.

But again good to have a manager who walks the talk as they say.

I agree with you El Grew. On the positive side, Hateley looks a good addition to the side - a great debut. As for Hammell, JG has spoken about coaching skills not being a limitless pursuit. Hammell's positioning, tackling and clearances were a problem last season. So the question now is - can Gannon help Stevie fix things?

I think young McHugh has already convinced everyone he is another striking option. But I still think the squad needs someone else in up front.

But over all, I like this new era all ready.

Cheers JG :)

Highlight of the ALBA coverage for me - outwith the goals obviously was Gannon's reaction to the ref after McHugh was ploughed by their centre half and the the tit only dished a yellow.

i bet the ALBA boys were breathing a sigh of relief that he was walking away from the mic (or their control room guy) had lightening quick reaction to turn the level down)

"A f****g yellow?"