Opening Day Memories

decorator

Do your posts ever make fuckin sense????? Jinked into aberdeen to see the sheep get rammed a fourth time :D

Anyway, opening day memory? Belter of a game last year at Tynecastle, pity about the outcome, as with the Malpish season against Rangers (uncle Phil equalised in front of the cooper) hopefully tomorrow will be one to remember

1st August 1998- a 1-0 home win over St Johnstone then into Glasgow to see the delgados play at The Mitchell Theatre as part of ten day weekend.

The first of many times that I saw that great band and I didn't know at the time that Alun, Hendy and Barzo were 'Well fans. All in all, an excellent day. :D

Bumped into Barzo at Central Low Level after the 2-1 Sellic CIS semi defeat in 2006 and he was equally gutted about the manner of that defeat.

Do your posts ever make fuckin sense????? Jinked into aberdeen to see the sheep get rammed a fourth time :)

Anyway, opening day memory? Belter of a game last year at Tynecastle, pity about the outcome, as with the Malpish season against Rangers (uncle Phil equalised in front of the cooper) hopefully tomorrow will be one to remember

thats two people now said the same thing,think it might be getting to some posters that i might know a thing or two about the club :D

Having been relegated from the old First Division in 1968 we bounced right back at the first time of asking. Our opening game was against Kilmarnock. We won 1-0 courtesy of a Dixie Deans goal. It was a brilliant sunny day. The highlights were on BBC that night. What better way to start a season. We had a great first season back - reached the semi-final of the League Cup and finished only 6 points off 4th spot. :D

The 4-4 game against Celtic 4 years ago when we came back from 3 nil down to 4-3 then Beattie scored late on. Was on holiday at the time in France but can mind listening to it in an Irish bar going mad at every goal we got that day. Hopefully we'll take all 3 points tomorrow though. Mon the Well!!!!!!

Couple of landmarks here ....... 1975/76 season saw the new Premier League kick-off in Scotland. We drew 1-1 at home to Ayr Utd in front of over 5,000. I proudly wore my new doc martens, one amber lace and one claret lace :huh: , Brutus jeans with cheesecloth shirt, one scarf tied round wrist and other in knott round neck :ph34r: Sure that was when the fence went up in the Shed too.

League used to start at end of August, after 6 League Cup section games.

Couple of landmarks here ....... 1975/76 season saw the new Premier League kick-off in Scotland. We drew 1-1 at home to Ayr Utd in front of over 5,000. I proudly wore my new doc martens, one amber lace and one claret lace :huh: , Brutus jeans with cheesecloth shirt, one scarf tied round wrist and other in knott round neck :ph34r: Sure that was when the fence went up in the Shed too.

League used to start at end of August, after 6 League Cup section games.

Fence didn't go up until start of next season, I think.

The 1-0 win at Paisley 2 years ago in Dingus' first game was great, gave us all such optimism for the year ahead.

Who remembers Stevie Nicholas' injury time equaliser at Easter Road in '99?!! Tremendous! Ten years before that you had Cusack almost in the terracing behind the goal to celebrate his debut equaliser at Tannadice!

a lot of legislation came into place round about then, safety at sport stadiums act, local council safety certificates, etc.,

2 new rows of crash barriers were constructed at the same time fence went up I think, and they blocked off access to the back of the Shed - a favourite battle ground on match day.

OB really didn't have a clue back then did they :ph34r:

1st August 1998- a 1-0 home win over St Johnstone then into Glasgow to see the delgados play at The Mitchell Theatre as part of ten day weekend.

The first of many times that I saw that great band and I didn't know at the time that Alun, Hendy and Barzo were 'Well fans. All in all, an excellent day. :ph34r:

Bumped into Barzo at Central Low Level after the 2-1 Sellic CIS semi defeat in 2006 and he was equally gutted about the manner of that defeat.

Gerrard Stirling rocket..........................................Ginger hair is...........unacceptable :huh:

Opening games I can remember being at (than Gerrad Stirling Rocket)

Airdrie 1971 0-1 at the arc

Ardrie 1974-humped 1-3 at the arc

Plastic whistle 77-78 0-1 at thearc

hivees 1999 2-2 lehman 2 for them away

dundee 2000 0-2 ditto Argies or was that 2003 home

dunfermline 2001 2-5 well players fighting wae each other away

livy away 2002 2-3 3 down aftre 20 mins

dundee 2003 0-3 at arc goram in goals

smeltic 2005 4-4 watching on sky in london magic day oot

h**s 2006 1-2 uncle phil scored

the bright spot 2008 1-0 at love st

Shoud I go to St johnstone ?????????

I've seen a few opening days come and go now so plenty to think back on.

Highlight would probably be the 2-0 win over Celtic at Fir Park in 1990 on a roasting hot day in the Sun. One of the last occasions you could celebrate a win over the Old Firm in the Shed on a terracing.

I remember the Dunfermline game at East End too, getting stuck in roadworks at Edinburgh and getting there close to if not just after kick-off but in good time to see a comfortable 2-0 with a cheeky wee back heeler from Tommy Coyne.

Although we lost I mind us taking in what must have been around 3000 to Ibrox for the opening day of the 1994'95 season and being robbed again by dodgy officials.

Some of the worst were actually days where I've not been able to make it. When it comes to the opening day there's always a bit of childlike enthusiasm on the go and to be champing at the bit and be stuck in the house when the season starts is a bit soul destroying.

Here's hoping for the day!!