Ticket Prices

patons02

Right,

What is the script with ticket prices?

£20 adults (overpriced - £2 for a romanian game, 5 euros in Nancy)

£10 concessions - under 16s and over 65s

Concessions in Scottish grounds usually include students.

St. Johnstone, don't be silly from the dirty robbing bastards.

What is everyone elses thoughts?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices are about the same everywhere, that's why I rarely go to games anymore. It seems that clubs would rather charge people more and put up with reduced attendances, than drop the prices to something less ridiculous and actually have people come to the games.

for the first time in 19 years, i havent renewed my season ticket.

i went along today, purely cos it was the first game of the season and i will continue to pick and choose what games i go to. home and away

from what i gather, we cant complain about anything. we will be charging away fans £22

so today was actually a "cheaper" day out although still way too expensive

The cost is a disgrace - sadly i is the cost of 'progress'. Players have more power and they all have angents taking a cut and that is where most of the moeny is going instead of back into football's infrastructure. Something that needs sorting but the powers-that-be are getting rather a large whack of cash too so are unliley to do the right thing.

A lot of money but you will probably see Motherwell charge similar prices when they come to Fir Park. Fan's are well and truly out-priced in this country, especially considering Football isn't exactly a sport followed by the wealthy.

But, concessions at Fir Park are for over 60s and if we offer a student concession to away fans many Motherwell fans paid over the odds today. There should be a reciprocal agreement, St Johnstone are taking the piss.

Look on the bright side! What a support we had today mon the fuckin well!!!!!!!!!

i agree with you, we had a great support y'day and at some points very vocal too.

but i think a lot of folk went for the novelty factor (first game of the season, first game up there in a while, we've done well in the europa games) That wont be the crowd for every away game (sadly) and thats purely down to the cost

its been an ongoing arguement for years now, but it wont change and we're the ones that'll suffer

Football in Scotland (while not as bad as England) is drastically overpriced.

I paid 10 euros to watch Hertha Berlin versus Borussia Dortmund 2 years back, at the Olympiastadion. I enjoyed yesterday and actually think McDairmid is quite a pleasant wee ground. No way is it worth twice as much as the Bundesliga though.

Anyone who thinks it is justifiable is conned or naieve.

Reality check.

Most Scottish clubs are going down the grubber. They have to charge what they do to survive. It's not like they are ripping people off and posting huge profits like BP of millions of pounds a second. At the end of the season when the accounts are done and you are very lucky, you might make a small lose or scrap into the red and a lot of clubs don't even manage that.

The prices are set by necessity and expensive as it is facts are Motherwell have generally been pretty good at keeping admission prices and season tickets down in comparison to other teams in the division. It's no good comparing us to Hertha Berlin, they get 40,000+ through the gates, have much greater merchandise sales, sponsorship etc. They live in a different world.

If it costs £3,000,000 to run an SPL team for a season then it has to be paid for, no matter if there are 10 or 10,000 people willing to pay. Just so happens we have 4,000 - 5,000 diehards but lets face it no one else is interested.

In order to reduce admission to say £10 per game you would have to increase attendance by about 1,800 for every home match over a whole season and that's with out any of the extra money being invested in the team.

Not going to happen, I'm afraid.

Reality check.

Most Scottish clubs are going down the grubber. They have to charge what they do to survive. It's not like they are ripping people off and posting huge profits like BP of millions of pounds a second. At the end of the season when the accounts are done and you are very lucky, you might make a small lose or scrap into the red and a lot of clubs don't even manage that.

The prices are set by necessity and expensive as it is facts are Motherwell have generally been pretty good at keeping admission prices and season tickets down in comparison to other teams in the division. It's no good comparing us to Hertha Berlin, they get 40,000+ through the gates, have much greater merchandise sales, sponsorship etc. They live in a different world.

If it costs £3,000,000 to run an SPL team for a season then it has to be paid for, no matter if there are 10 or 10,000 people willing to pay. Just so happens we have 4,000 - 5,000 diehards but lets face it no one else is interested.

In order to reduce admission to say £10 per game you would have to increase attendance by about 1,800 for every home match over a whole season and that's with out any of the extra money being invested in the team.

All very true but it's a sad fact that it's fan loyalty that allows them to do so. Attempting to overcharge in other area of revenue i.e advertising, tv deals, player transfers etc won't work because clubs would get told to piss off however the fans can always be overcharged. I'm not neccessarily saying clubs are taking advantage because, as you point out, it's neccessity, not greed that makes them do so.

It's just a depressing situation for all involved. Plaudits to John Boyle trying to redress the balance a little.

I think we'll find we won't have any away games cheaper than yesterday's £20 unless it's a special one-off deal. St. Johnstone will by no means be the worst.

Edit: a quick check on Accies website shows they will charge Aberdeen fans £22, £11 for concessions. Kilmarnock charged Accies £20 and £14 for concessions, but to fair to Killie it was £5 for under 12s.

Without going through everybody's website I think this shows £20 - £22 will unfortunately be the going rate.

It would be interesting to for the SPL to conduct an experiment, charging Bundeslige prices for a few weeks. The truth is no-one knows for sure whether lower prices would ensure significant enough gate increases to ensure financial viability for clubs.

My only gripe regards Saturday is there appears no universal rule regards concessions for UB40s and students. I think there should be reduced admission at all grounds.

Reality check.

I think the pricing here needs the reality check - it is too high, plain and simple. You are looking at competing with any number of cheaper Saturday activities. I tend to go to the game with my wife, so there is £40 before petrol, food, drinks. Families are more. Any number of things you can do are cheaper than a Saturday at the football and, a lot of the time, warmer.

That wasn't a direct comparison I made to Hertha Berlin. It was a point regarding pricing. You can make the point about the larger fan base or merchandising, but I think it is still off the mark really. Not all teams in Germany are of that size, yet pricing is consistently cheaper than here. However, were we to follow that logic that it is cheaper to watch big teams, how would that explain the price of an OF ticket/season ticket, or worse still a EPL season book? Doesn't add up.

My point still stands - we are paying way over the odds compared to Europe. Clubs trying to screw gthat little bit extra out fans in away ticket pricing only serves to put them off. ( Particularly galling, is when they add that extra £2. ) No else is interested, you are right. They're not going to get interested in a hurry while it is basically overpriced.

Most of the points here are spot on - all views are right.

it's a complete Catch 22 situation.

It's way too expensive.

All the initiatives by the clubs and the SPL and the SFA etc etc are about clubs breaking even / providing revenue (TV, sponsorship, prize money etc). Supporters have for some time (I think 1990 marked the slow onset of the prawn sandwich brigade) been given little or no consideration.

There needs to be a serious initiative to reduce the cost of watching football by any authority serious about the future of the game.

The more time goes on the more I'm coming round to fatcalfs way of thinking. We need a major collapse of a league or a governing body before we can emerge from the rubble and re-find our level (as a country)

It would be interesting to for the SPL to conduct an experiment, charging Bundeslige prices for a few weeks. The truth is no-one knows for sure whether lower prices would ensure significant enough gate increases to ensure financial viability for clubs.

My only gripe regards Saturday is there appears no universal rule regards concessions for UB40s and students. I think there should be reduced admission at all grounds.

St Mirren charge people who are unemployed ten quid to get into the game. I know there have been discussions about it being unworkable, basically you need to take proof that you are on benefit when you buy the ticket and of course there are ways that people who don't qualify could end up with a reduced price ticket. But no different to people getting concessions or juvenile tickets they aren't entitled to.

If it gets people through the gate who wouldn't normally be able to afford a game then why not, because 20 quid off 60 odd quid benefit will be more than most people on benefit can afford.

I wonder how many people will pay cash at the gate at an away game seeing as the concession age is 65 for most other SPL clubs and 60 at Fir Park.

The more time goes on the more I'm coming round to fatcalfs way of thinking. We need a major collapse of a league or a governing body before we can emerge from the rubble and re-find our level (as a country)

Exactly -it'll need to be revolution, not evolution. There are too many people doing too nicely out of football in the current for any significant change to occur.

Unfortunately due to my wedding next year, every Pound counts so i will not be getting a season ticket this season, however I will be at the Game on Saturday but I'll need to stump up whatever they charge me to watch my team. £270 lets be honest is a fair price for the East Stand as i think you get a good view, dont like the cooper or the main.