Ticket Prices

patons02

Never thought that he could have been bumming a free ride:doh: Not me never quoted any costs for Llanelli. That's cause I was driving the wife's car which I am totally unsure of its consumption because a careful driver like me gets far more mpg than the Schumacher that I am married to <_< Now if it had been mine diesel, it goes for miles ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only the under 18s ticket though that's such good value at Bolton though, but that really does encourage under 18s to support the club. Although Bolton did cut prices on all their season tickets this year. Good to see a club trying to attract more young people through the gates.
Aye, but Bolton will get a wee bit more money from the EPL telly deal than we get from the SPL deal. The money has to come from somewhere.

There are quite a lot of Well fans don't live in the area and can't keep a season ticket on because the overall price would cost too much.

I'm not arguing against season tickets as the backbone of any club, just pointing out arses-on -seats and not always necessarily the same faces are what generate the cash.

There are quite a lot of Well fans don't live in the area and can't keep a season ticket on because the overall price would cost too much.

I'm not arguing against season tickets as the backbone of any club, just pointing out arses-on -seats and not always necessarily the same faces are what generate the cash.

That's a fair point mate. For various reasons over many years I just couldn't commit the cash at the time required to get an ST.

There's got to be something fundamentally wrong if the reason someone is not inside Fir Park on a Saturday for the sake of a tenner or whatever. I'm not saying we should open the gates and let everybody in for nowt, but as a club (or clubs if we broaden it to the SPL) why would you live with empty seats on a Saturday without getting collective heads together and coming up with something innovative to fill them.

If someone 'genuinely wants' to come along on a Saturday and is prevented from doing so because of financial constraints then to me thats a crying shame - and I've actually been in that boat over a number of seasons and know folk right now who stay away purely on cost grounds - great 'well folk at that.

It's all to cock!

That's a fair point mate. For various reasons over many years I just couldn't commit the cash at the time required to get an ST.

There's got to be something fundamentally wrong if the reason someone is not inside Fir Park on a Saturday for the sake of a tenner or whatever. I'm not saying we should open the gates and let everybody in for nowt, but as a club (or clubs if we broaden it to the SPL) why would you live with empty seats on a Saturday without getting collective heads together and coming up with something innovative to fill them.

If someone 'genuinely wants' to come along on a Saturday and is prevented from doing so because of financial constraints then to me thats a crying shame - and I've actually been in that boat over a number of seasons and know folk right now who stay away purely on cost grounds - great 'well folk at that.

It's all to cock!

Such as St Mirren have done by letting people who are unemployed in for a tenner. There's no reason why Motherwell couldn't do the same. Ask people to bring proof of ID when they pay for their ticket plus a letter stating their entitlement to benefit, less chance of it being abused than if people are just asked to turn up with their signing on card.

Or give a concession season ticket to people on low incomes. Aberdeen have a scheme where if people work in certain jobs that they do unsocial hours, they have the option of buying a 10 game season ticket. There could be and should be more flexibility when it comes to ticketing options, surely the club would rather have a seat filled and it cost ten quid to sell than an empty seat?

Wellgirl you keep harping on about getting unemployed folk into Fir Park

No offence intended, I've been unemployed a few times myself, but to be quite honest if someone is unemployed (and hardup/struggling) they shouldn't be thinking about spending even a tenner of their income on a feckin football match.

you are flogging a dead horse

I don't mind all these initiatives at letting new punters in on teh cheap but the flipside of that coin is that the die-hards who are there week in and week out never seem to catch a break like that. Howzabout reduced season ticket prices (a %age off) if you have a season book for 5 years? A further reduction after 10 years 'service' etc etc? Would just be nice to look after the everyday guys a bit.

Wellgirl you keep harping on about getting unemployed folk into Fir Park

No offence intended, I've been unemployed a few times myself, but to be quite honest if someone is unemployed (and hardup/struggling) they shouldn't be thinking about spending even a tenner of their income on a feckin football match.

you are flogging a dead horse

Agreed.

Nah that's just no' right.

In every situation you've got to live.

It's unlikely if your on the bru whether you'd have any spare dosh to go on a regliar basis granted. But it would be good if there was something in place to get everybody in to the ground that fancied being there on any given week.

aye MJ but you were only on the dole in the "not employed in a legitimate sense" were you not :P

I'm not saying prices are OK far from it and I agree Diggle that it would be good to have the ground full by having anyone that wants to be there to gain entry.

and I totally agree that being out of work shouldn't mean life grinding to a halt

but I still stand by the basic point that if anyone is on the dole and struggling they shouldn't be spending the proposed £10 on a fitba match.

If there was some other scheme in place, e.g a subsidised or reward scheme for community/club/voluntary work to get folks in then yeah, flood the place with them

aye MJ but you were only on the dole in the "not employed in a legitimate sense" were you not :P

I'm not saying prices are OK far from it and I agree Diggle that it would be good to have the ground full by having anyone that wants to be there to gain entry.

and I totally agree that being out of work shouldn't mean life grinding to a halt

but I still stand by the basic point that if anyone is on the dole and struggling they shouldn't be spending the proposed £10 on a fitba match.

If there was some other scheme in place, e.g a reward scheme for community/club/voluntary work to get folks in then yeah, flood the place with them

Why not? People can choose to spend their wages anyway they choose, why shouldn't people who are out of work go and see the occasional football game. As for people who are signing on, some people might be doing voluntary work anyway, why should people need to work towards going to see Motherwell? If other SPL clubs can implement this and they have, there's no reason why we can't. It's not flogging a dead horse, it's recognising in this current economic climate that there may be football fans who are going to be joining the dole queue and as a result won't be able to see their team any longer.

Or is football only to be for people who are in employment? As for harping on about it, I mentioned it twice before I made this post, once to say what another SPL club were doing, hardly excessive.

The unemployed do get to spend their money on what they want, but you're suggesting they should be able to spend half of the amount someone who is working (and maybe not very well paid) does.

I'm not setting the prices here, I said ten pounds because that was the figure set by St Mirren. The fact is, you could have someone who is a student who is as well off as someone who works but still gets a discount, you could have someone over 60 who qualifies for a concession who is still in full time employment. You aren't going to be able to make prices fair for every single person who goes through the gates at Fir Park, but with the number of people out of work rising and pay at the gate prices also rising, there will be a lot of people who won't be able to afford to go to Fir Park or any other ground. A lot of people on low incomes also get tax credits which some people on basic benefits don't and it's these people who are going to have to stop going to football.

Naw ah wis on ma erse thanks tae Maggie fuckin' Thatcher but fitba' and travel were cheap enough that I could still get tae games. That's the comparison, guaranteed it widnae happen today although granted ah wis still at my parents hoose then but even so.

Why not?

Because jobseekers allownace is £64.30 and you are proposing £10 of that be spent on 90mins entertainment, so why not? because that's fucking mental! if you are living of £64 and you are proposing £10 right away, not mentioning travel etc.

People can choose to spend their wages anyway they choose,

its not wages its a survival allowance, a bare minimum

why shouldn't people who are out of work go and see the occasional football game. As for people who are signing on, some people might be doing voluntary work anyway,

I'm not saying they shouldn't, in fact, I said they just shouldn't be spending the amount you proposed, and good on the ones doing voluntary work, and a huge well done to them, Oh and wait! our club already gives some free entry and I'm advocating extending those schemes in association with other bodies like the government for those that are unemployed and doing retraining/voluntary community/club work.

why should people need to work towards going to see Motherwell?

:O

If other SPL clubs can implement this and they have, there's no reason why we can't. It's not flogging a dead horse, it's recognising in this current economic climate that there may be football fans who are going to be joining the dole queue and as a result won't be able to see their team any longer.

SPL clubs? thought it was only St mirren, has it been successful?

Econonomic climate? yip hard times for many and measures should be taken accordingly but IMHO spending £10 of a week on entry to a Football match is not a measure I would take.

Or is football only to be for people who are in employment?

JOG ON

As for harping on about it, I mentioned it twice before I made this post, once to say what another SPL club were doing, hardly excessive.

no not excessive :P

EDIT: apologies Fatcalf I was basing that opinion on my readings of your situation in the past, Good times regarding pricing, indeed in the past for football fans and I'd love it to go back to those days when football was affordable for all, please don't misinterpret my rantings above for anyhting other than, saying £10 entry for UB40's is illadvised

If you can't afford it......erm don't go.

Where do you draw the line - the unemployed, students, OAPS whatever don't get their shopping cheaper at Adsa, they don't get half price tickets to go see Springsteen or U2 at Hampden, they don't get cheap flights etc, etc. Without getting into the whole benefits issue, the money they do get should be prioritised and I wouldn't have thought a football match was a priority if your kids are starving or you can't put a warm coat on them in the winter.

Been said before that football is in the entertainment business and as such it's a luxury not an essential. Sorry if that's a bit harsh but I'm paying for a wedding this year and, amongst other sacrifices, have had to draw a line at going to away matches (Perth on Saturday was my first since November last year, and only because it was the first of the season) - as much as I'd have loved to go to Llanelli or Bucharest I couldn't. Different from being unemployed etc but we all have to cut our cloth according to our individual circumstances.

In any event - football IS overpriced in this country. Five euros for the match in Nancy !

Stuart.

I'm proposing that people have more of a choice, which they don't at the moment. As for the amount of JSA you get or the fact that it's a basic survival allowance, I'm perfectly aware of that as I'm currently out of work.

What's stupid in the current climate is pricing people out of football given that we are in the middle of a recession and the number of people out of work is rising month on month.

As for your JOG on comment, I'm not sure what you meant by it, because if you think that people on JSA shouldn't be spending a tenner going to the football and that it's excessive, the question I asked about is football only to be for people in employment seems quite reasonable under the circumstances.

apologies Fatcalf I was basing that opinion on my readings of your situation in the past, Good times regarding pricing, indeed in the past for football fans and I'd love it to go back to those days when football was affordable for all, please don't misinterpret my rantings above for anyhting other than, saying £10 entry for UB40's is illadvised

No apology necessary, my entrepreneurial side came to the fore later when I couldn't get back into employment after a while out of work :lol:

Anyways in that situation now there's no way I could justify going to games, different times though but I'd be well pissed off at missing out due to cost. Away games are a no-no even though I'm doing okay these days, that says much about pricing (or the amount of drink I like to consume on your average awayday, one of the two)