Physical Stature

Motherwell Seagull

Watched the Utd v Hearts game and was reasonably impressed with both teams who I thought continued to try to play football despite the physical nature of the game.

Having only watched our youngsters on the TV, it did cross my mind about how well they would stand up to some of the bullies in both of last night's teams?

Am too used to seeing certain Utd defenders impose themselves on our back 4 at set pieces, and the Hearts midfield (for what now seems like decades, or am I simply thinking of ex hearts players at Airdrie?) bully our midfield into submission.

Any thoughts on how we will cope with more physical teams this year?

Its something that i've always felt that the team have lacked in recent years. Looking at the team at the moment i would only say that Coke,Sutton,Craigan and Ruddy(compared to Buzz,Fraser) are physically strong and should come out on top of most 50/50s. Looking at teams such as Hearts, Dundee United and Kilmarnock they all have players that have a real physical presence on the park and particularly at set pieces can use this to their advantage.

Again on Saturday we lost two goals from corners, poor clearances it has to be said, and this will continue to cost us during the season unless we don't get a big centre half in to do something about it.

According to the official site, he's 6ft1...

He's tall but skinny. Another one from the bowl of rice and water Motherwell youth system.

If you look at the team picture taken at Flamurtari, Forbes is significantly taller than McGarry, Hammell and Lasley and a little shorter than Sutton and Saunder, so I'd guess he's about 5'11 - 6'0 tall.

They had scott mcdonald listed as 5ft 7 and he was much shorter then me. When stevie hammel was here first time round he was 6ft and buzz was listed as 6ft 3 (the same height as mclean was listed at)!!! Do they take their height with their football boots on and on their tiptoes?

Fact is that both Coke and Forbes are both over 6ft tall. As is Hately. And Hutchison is quite a powerful big lad. And then there's Ruddy. And I don't think Jennings will be easily bullied.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Gannon seems to be addressing the issue...

Yeh, I notice the side being a bit bigger than last few seasons. Good move.

i think forbes is probably 5 foot 10. buzz was a couple of inches taller than me and i'm six foot.

for most of the players it doesn't really matter. dundee united, hearts and killie were all much bigger than us when we finished third and it didn't matter then.

Iv'e seen you. You're smaller than me and i'm an inch above being classed as a midget. :notworthy: