Jim Gannon

cossiemfc

I was at the hospitality in the centenary suite yesterday with the family celebrating my dad's 60th birthday. Jim came into the suite and signed autographs. My bib sis mentioned to him that it was by dads birthday. He signed a programme for gim and then came over and wished my dad happpy birthday. He then talked to us for a couple of minutes about the game and the pitch.

It made my dad's day. He was delighted and couldn't beleive that the Jim took time to come over and talk to him.

What a great birthday for your Dad. Not surprised by Jim Gannon's contribution. Don't know how many games you go to but it appears JG's practice, to shake every player and official's hand at the end of the game, win or lose - and then applaud the fans. When he was appointed, Stockport fans came on here to say he was a legend. In just 8 games, he appears to have one all Well fans over - for both his management skills and sportsmanship.

Jim Gannon's been like a breath of fresh air for Motherwell and the SPL. IMO one of the major reasons that Scottish football has stagnated in recent years is due to the people who have come into management in the SPL. With only a couple of exceptions, eEverytime a managerial position has come up its been the same old tired guys that get tipped for it and generally get it and continue with the same boring old ideas and attitudes.

Fair play to John Boyle (and I have been one of his biggest critics during his time at FP) but he appears to have unearthed a real diamond in Jim Gannon.

Gannon has arrived without any of the baggage that usually accompanies SPL managers when they go and off the managerial merry-go-round and it is impossible to believe that he and the likes of Maurice Malpas etc. are in the same profession.

He immediately noted the lack of athleticism, fitness and skill evident in some of the players at our club but that there were some terrific youngsters with great potential and unlike the previous regime has not been afraid to play them. He has (again unlike the previous regime) used his knowledge of the English game and lower divisions to unearth other good young players and play them. Necessity may be the mother of invention but Jim Gannon has demonstrated imagination and management ability way above others who have been 'kicking around' the Scottish scene for a long time.

Good luck Jim and long may it continue.