Best Age To Start Taking The Kids To Games

TvTotherwell

Aright folks.

Recently started getting access again to my daughter B-)

Only getting access to her at the weekends. obviouslt stopping me getting to games.

Few of my mates have been saying to start taking her to the games, shes only a year and a half and not sure if its too young. Took my nephew a few times but 3 three.

I feel it'll be too scary for her when the goals are going in. especialy as we are banging them in these days :wallbash:

whits yer opinions.

Completely up to you but my 4 year old doesn't have the attention span to sit in one place for 5 minutes never mind for a full game of football. He'd be quickly bored so I haven't taken him yet. I know my dad started taking me when I was about 4 or 5 but in the days of terracing it was fairly common to see young kids down the front at the wall where they could move about a bit when they get bored.

Rather than your daughter's age I would say it's more down to when you feel she's ready and showing a bit of interest.

I was only a few months old when my dad had me up at the old club shop under the Main Stand signing me up for the Claret and Amber club. My old man was having the same dillema as yourself and when Tommy McLean was shuffling past, my dad asked him if he thought I was too young. 'They're never too young!' was the immediate response, and if wee Llama TomTom says so then that's good enough for me!

Whether or not you have the patience to put up with her at the game could be another matter, right enough....

started taking my eldest son at 2 1/2 and i found that he was bored shitless after claret n amber fucked off down the tunnell at the start of the game !!

one family sized bag of Opal Fruits later and he was as good as gold for 90 mins !!

my youngest is a different story though , he is nearly 4 and I wouldnt dream of taking him because he is absolutely mental !!! I'd be waiting for him appearing on the pitch or something ! he might be ready when he goes to school, but I doubt it ...lol

anyway, it kinda reaffirms that each kid is different , and where one might be ready at 2 another might not at 6 !!

you know your own kids best so it'll be your shout

:P

I used to take my son to Hughenden on a Friday night for the Glasgow Warriors rugby when he was 6 months old. He slept in one of these baby carriers strapped to my chest. He has only just started going to the football aged 7. I took him to a friendly when he was five but he cheered when the oppostion scored and was bored after about 10 mins.

Bring them at 7+ i would say but only if they have a pal with them. I used to take my wee cousin all the time to games and up until he was about 11 he would get bored stiff after ten minutes and ask all sorts of annoying questions.

Depends on the kid i suppose but make sure there is another kid there they can play the nintendo DS with if it's a 0-0 borefest

I started goin when i was about 6 or 7 and my wee brother went at the same time so he must've been about 4. It helped that the two of us knew what was goin on a bit- we were the ones that wanted to go. dunno what we were like but the younger ones that sit round about me a re a fuckin pain in the arse, always always always up and down to the toilet/kiosk etc

My wee boy is 5 in October, and has been going semi-regularly since the week before his 2nd birthday, a 5-0 romp over Killie in teh Malpish season. He's been to about 20/25 games over the 3 years and he is totally hooked on all things MFC and watches the whole game without a problem, I've even took him to the odd away game and he's been a mascot at home. So it really depends on the kid. We sit in the East Stand and always sit at the end of the row, so that we dont irritate anybody as he sometimes has to sit on my knee.

He's unbeaten in the league but has seen us beaten by Dundee in the cup :ph34r: and Llanelli and Steaua in the Europa.

As I say he's totally hooked on MFC, even to the extent that he was nearly greeting after I suggested (in jest) that he should support somebody else after we got beat off Llanelli. Now to get cracking on his wee brother.

The kids are the future of our club, so we need to make sure they take the 'correct' path from an early age.

I started picking and choosing games when my girls were about 4, the oldest one couldn't be bothered and it was a constant case of "Dad, can I get, crisps \ juice \ sweets" I'm cold, I'm bored", etc and I rarely saw much of the second half of any game. The wee one, on the other hand, loved it, and now has a season ticket. It's pretty much down to the child, but I wouldn't take anyone as young as 18 months, and certainly not on a typical Scottish winters day.

Pick an end of season game to test the water once you think she's old enough and take it from there.

My son's first game was "away" to Gretna when he had just turned 4. It was a good game to start him with as the ground was rather quiet and we just about had a section of the cooper to ourselves! This also doubled as his first trip to the beach.

His second game was the Flamurtari game, which was great as every time he started to get restless we'd score.

He was very close to going to the cup final in 2005 though, at about 3 months old, but we got a babysitter in the end :-)

Personally I think that 4/5 is probably about right, but it really comes down to your own patience. I'd reccomend the cooper or the main stand though, as you can avoid inconveniencing those who go to the games to get away from the wee buggers!

Like most have said, every kid is different. My wee boy's had a season ticket since he was 4 (he's now 7) and has been hooked since day 1. Wish I had the cash to take him to away games as well, because it's an absolute pleasure sharing the pain & glory of the Well with him.

Get Diane or Leeann to watch the bairn for the 90 minutes, they do eff-all on match days anyway.