Jim Gannon

Chris Larkin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Gannon (from Sunday) on the BBC podcast thing yesterday. He speaks very very well, he seems very tactically astute. Every time I hear him I'm more impressed with the way he talks and what he seems to be trying to do.

I listened to that this morning and I'd urge everyone on here to do the same. Absolutely superb listening to JG talk about football - intelligent, articulate, enthusiastic - quite clear that he thinks very deeply about the game and is very excited about being our manager. Breath of fresh air from all the usual suspects and their played out cliches.

I listened to that this morning and I'd urge everyone on here to do the same. Absolutely superb listening to JG talk about football - intelligent, articulate, enthusiastic - quite clear that he thinks very deeply about the game and is very excited about being our manager. Breath of fresh air from all the usual suspects and their played out cliches.

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...

Been surfing the online newspapers on my break at work and came across this interesting interview with Jim Gannon. It doesn't only cover his time at Motherwell or just football for that matter. So in case anyone hasn't read it here you go:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ed-to-kill.html

I really, REALLY f#$king hate Aberdeen, not just as a team but their entire fanbase... Having lived there for 5years... THE PLACE IS AN ISLAND CAUGHT IN A TIME WARP! They are the most inward thinking, narrow minded bell-ends to have ever been shat into society imho, and its reflected in their derogitory views on our club. The usual crap about us dodging asministration when they are worse off, the fact that we sell players when they are too stupid to and sack a decent goalkeeping coach instead and not to mention the pish about our provintiality. YES WE ARE A PROVINTISAL CLUB... WE KNOW!! Sad thing is, they are a "big" club who arent any better than the so called provincial clubs!... and to top it off they make the naive jibe at our attempts at silverware..... I DONT REMEMBER ABERDEEN BEING IN ANY CUP FINALS THIS DECADE!!!...... GET IT ROON YE! BUY A PAPER, ITS A LONG TIME SINCE 1980... WHATEVER IT WAS

rant over ;)

if this was Facebook, this post would get a thumbs up, "i like this"!

Its a pain in the arse living next to these guys sometimes!

difference for me between them is if gannon says it then it will happen.

Gannon - premiership striker and right back will come in...... a premiership striker and right back come in.

McGhee - I will talk to my contacts and get in quailty loan players, i know people in Germany..... fuck all

Boyle helped mcghee out by letting him get Hughes and Porter to beef up the team, Gannon hasn't had that luxury. He has used all his knowledge of the lower leagues in England and the promise of playing at a higher level in scotland to get players in who fit within our budget.

Boyle helped mcghee out by letting him get Hughes and Porter to beef up the team, Gannon hasn't had that luxury. He has used all his knowledge of the lower leagues in England and the promise of playing at a higher level in scotland to get players in who fit within our budget.

to be fair but you don't know how much ruddy, yassin and lukas are costing us. yassin was supposedly one of the top earners at charlton and even guys on the fringes at everton earn several thousand pounds a week. we won't be paying their full wages but we won't have them for free either and i doubt that they're relatively cheap. my guess is that we were well under budget and because of that gannon was able to bring in two fairly expensive loan deals before the window shut. for all the money we've spent this summer the only person we have a chance of getting a fee for is humphrey.

porter was a magnificent bit of business by mcghee, even taking into account wages and signing on fee we would still have made a net profit on him never mind almost 30 goals in 18 months. looking at gannon's signings coke and jennings are probably on fairly modest contracts with the intention of putting themselves in the shop window for a better move back down south next summer for free and yassin, lukas and ruddy are most likely off in january. add in the fact that o'brien, hammell, slane, lasley and mcgarry are all out of contract next summer and reynolds will be at the quinn/clarkson time to sell stage and we could be looking at even bigger summer of rebuilding in 2010.

porter was a magnificent bit of business by mcghee, even taking into account wages and signing on fee we would still have made a net profit on him never mind almost 30 goals in 18 months.

Yep, however it was Levien who identified Porter. McGhee managed to get him because Motherwell was 2hours closer to his burd down south.

to be fair but you don't know how much ruddy, yassin and lukas are costing us. yassin was supposedly one of the top earners at charlton and even guys on the fringes at everton earn several thousand pounds a week. we won't be paying their full wages but we won't have them for free either and i doubt that they're relatively cheap. my guess is that we were well under budget and because of that gannon was able to bring in two fairly expensive loan deals before the window shut. for all the money we've spent this summer the only person we have a chance of getting a fee for is humphrey.

porter was a magnificent bit of business by mcghee, even taking into account wages and signing on fee we would still have made a net profit on him never mind almost 30 goals in 18 months. looking at gannon's signings coke and jennings are probably on fairly modest contracts with the intention of putting themselves in the shop window for a better move back down south next summer for free and yassin, lukas and ruddy are most likely off in january. add in the fact that o'brien, hammell, slane, lasley and mcgarry are all out of contract next summer and reynolds will be at the quinn/clarkson time to sell stage and we could be looking at even bigger summer of rebuilding in 2010.

I'm depressed again !

Past my bedtime now and so have not properly read the previous posts.

What I have been sick of is manager's coming here for a couple of seasons to push their resume for another club. It's been maybe 20 years since we had a long-term manager and I am not suggesting Gannon is for the long term, hadn't heard of him before to be honest. However, I am really pleased by what he has achieved and has tried to achieve in a very short few months. Consistency is what I want to see once the order of players is sorted.

What I have been sick of is manager's coming here for a couple of seasons to push their resume for another club. It's been maybe 20 years since we had a long-term manager and I am not suggesting Gannon is for the long term, hadn't heard of him before to be honest. However, I am really pleased by what he has achieved and has tried to achieve in a very short few months. Consistency is what I want to see once the order of players is sorted.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with that 100%.

I would rather take a steady stream of ambitious McGhee's and Gannons, over a stale but consistantly lower side of mediocrisy Jim Jeffries.

Besides, it does the squad good to freshen it up every couple of years, keeps them on their toes.

As Big Stall said you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine aswell so I agree with you 100% claretbandonambershirt.I would rather have an ambitious manager,who the fans and player like,in the hotseat long term.With our young squad at the moment I would like us to do what Man Utd do and sign only a few players each summer and let only a few players go in the process.It keeps a balanced squad and it means the players know their teammates style of play.As Gannon is only 41 and still young it could be a good thing.

As Big Stall said you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine aswell so I agree with you 100% claretbandonambershirt.I would rather have an ambitious manager,who the fans and player like,in the hotseat long term.With our young squad at the moment I would like us to do what Man Utd do and sign only a few players each summer and let only a few players go in the process.It keeps a balanced squad and it means the players know their teammates style of play.As Gannon is only 41 and still young it could be a good thing.

Sadly I dont know if the terms 'ambitious' and 'long term' really go together at all in football these days, and certainly not at a wee club like ours.

Hopefully Jimbo will be the exception however. I would of course like to think that when he brings us champions league qualification :P he'l want to see it through with us rather than take a big money move to Portsmouth or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...