Local Rivals

Special aka

I'd say Hearts are the team I get most riled up against! Just really, really hate them, Calum Elliot especially. Became less fond of Killie since Jim Jeffries took the Jambo charm with him. I'd love it if Airdrie were in our division, and we had a chance to play them more often, but I know a lot of people from Airdrie, and I know everywhere in the West of Scotland is old firm dominated, at least in Motherwell you do see Motherwell fans from time to time, In Airdrie you most definitely don't! And as for Accies, they always seem to care about the rivalry far more than we do.

As someone who currently works in Edinburgh I have to agree with Special AKA...it has to be Hearts. Probably for much the same reasons. Many of my workmates support Hearts and work is a nightmare when they are on a good run. Then again, I guess I might just be a little OTT when we beat them. The Cup Semi springs to mind. Payback for the Texaco Cup robbery in my eyes.Funnily enough Hibs and their fans do not have the same effect. After Hearts I just love it when we take anything from Rangers and Celtic.

As for more local rivalry, who could possibly prefer beating Accies to tanking Hearts, Rangers or Celtic. And Airdrie are irrelevant except when we need to borrow their midden for a wee while.

The jambos have been our biggest rivals for a while.

Airdrie can be tasty when they have a team (so we'll have to wait a while for that to return). But Accies is a nothing game.

Hamilton are insignificant - should be far more heated than it is - but these days it's just the same as a Killie game or something.

Any stattos got attendance figures for us vs the Hackies in the 80's? my memory tells me it was between 8000 and 10000

For me it has to be the Accies.

My Mum is from Hamilton and if she hadn't moved to Motherwell after marrying my Dad lots of years ago then I may have been an Accie.

So it isn't that I want or need to beat them it is more of what might have been, stuck supporting a team that will never amount to anything more than merely making up the numbers. So thanks for moving Mum. :lol::P:lol::lol::woop:

While on the topic of local derbys, who would you say our local rivals are ?

Is it Accies ? Is it Clydebank ? Does it depend on who we have as a league game ? Or is a cup-tie more important ?

Depends if we talk local derby or rivals I suppose. Geographically it is Accies, although during the 70's for me it was Airdrie, as we were generally in the same league and had several cup-tie encounters. Then in the 80's it became Hearts, as I began working in Edinburgh and we shared many a crucial game/nasty encounter. However, for much of the last 20years our local league rivals have been the Tims.

So, if you are down in London on a course, (or whatever), and several football supporting guys go to the pub for a beer and to bond. You are asked the question. So being a Motherwell fan, who are your big rivals ?

For me, the game I get most up for is the visit of Hearts. :doh: Gary Mackay, John Robertson, Craig Levein, Jim Jeffries, Willie Gibson, Walter Kidd, Wayne Foster, Dave Bowman, John Colquhoun, Scott Crabbe, Henry Smith, Rab Prentice, Ian Baird, etc., etc., BASTAS the lot of them :O

hahahahha. made that up.

I can see what you're saying though, they may have been closest for a while. but not local.

and the fact you love a good greet about celtic makes me think even more that you are just throwing them in there cos you LOVE them/their fans! haha

This should just be called "who you hate most"

Depends how you define the term local I suppose doesn't it?

For me local is Lanarkshire and if you are talking Lanarkshire you are talking Airdrie. I find there's more hostility with them than Accies. With Hamilton and Motherwell being so close and a fair number of our fans coming from that side of the town there's a lot more interaction and an understanding of each other's teams. I know of quite a lot of instances if we've had no game folk going to Hamilton in the past to see them.

With Airdrie though there's almost universal animosity towards us which is reciprocated more readily than with any stick that comes our way from Hamilton.

........... I can see what you're saying though, they may have been closest for a while. but not local..............

Yeah, closest rival is where I'm coming from, in the more often than not absence of Accies/Airdrie over that period.

Besides, Parkhead is barely 15miles from Fir Park while Motherwell and the surrounds has more than a smattering of Beggarz and I'n sure we all know one or more and love to beat them ......... so it's a rivalry just like the one Leeds have with Man-U or Derby have with Forest or Liverpool have with Man-U I'd say.

Grew up hating Hearts more than anyone, my dad always told me they were our bogey team and I took an instant dislike to the usual suspects.

As AlB suggests however, they couldn't give a fuck about us. Nevertheless, I still find the Hearts games a wee bit special.

Meanwhile, I always liked to see the Accies do well in the lower leagues and still don't see them as a close rival in the SPL. As for Airdrie, I've never really been exposed to the much discussed hatred between the 2 sets of fans.

The local rivalry was always Airdrie, with the Accies and Albion Rovers almost being thought of quaint, but going to the footie in the late 60's\early 70's helped develop a a deep loathing of the Jambos that endures to this day.

Have to say that as i now live in Falkirk, there's a fair bit of pleasure when we turn them over

MON RA DOSSERS

Grew up hating Hearts more than anyone, my dad always told me they were our bogey team and I took an instant dislike to the usual suspects.

As AlB suggests however, they couldn't give a fuck about us. Nevertheless, I still find the Hearts games a wee bit special.

Meanwhile, I always liked to see the Accies do well in the lower leagues and still don't see them as a close rival in the SPL. As for Airdrie, I've never really been exposed to the much discussed hatred between the 2 sets of fans.

Same mate.I hate hearts more than any other team.The biggest rivals for me have to be them.SCUM

No wins are more satisfying than the ones against the weegies bigots but any game against Airdrie or Accies is good to remind them who the good team in the shire is. Not really rivals though, I think in my time going to Well games lucky if we shared a division even 5 seasons between them. Wouldn't mind Accies staying up a while to allow it to develop but hard to maintain hostilities whilst they been lurching around the lower leagues.