Referee For Game Against Hibs.....

SPLrefs.com

On the radio on Sat they were commenting on how he had a reputation for letting the game flow last season but had been 'reigned in' by the supervisors and told to tighten up on a few things.

This year his games have been punctuated by letter of the law pish.

I started another thread in 'Other Football' while I agree it's a hard job and don't pile in to refs in general. i think the standard is decreasing rapidly - and in Scotland we're seeing the elimination of common sense and the use of discression.

How many of the goals were celebrated by players on the running track in England over the weekend - I noticed it all over the place in MOTD and Football league Show round ups as well as in the Manc derby yesterday. The guy at Watford ran down one side of the track slapping all the supporters hands.

Up here it's an automatic yellow - a la Hutch at McDairmid.

Fuckers might be playing to the letter of the law - but they're killing the game.

I just think in Scotland referees are blameless. They aren't allowed to be criticised without disciplinary action, I mean what happened to freedom of speech? Opinion? I mean if for example, I'll pick a player at random, If Giles Coke played rank rotten week in, week out, he wouldn't get a game. But Referee's are immune to that sort of thing in Scotland. I mean footballers make as many split second decisions as Referees do, and they are far more open to criticism.

For example take that incident in England, Bristol City and Crystal Palace game, when the ball was in the back of the net and the goal wasn't given. Alright, that was a particularly woeful decision, but the fact that the Refs and Linesman got suspended and were subject to a review was a step forward in my opinion. For them getting a grand a week, the standard of their performances should be monitored more closely.

Anyone just watch Nevin and Gordon talk through the eleven yellows in the Killie game there? Nevin said he got 10/11 right and see being honest watching it in isolation and concentrating on it rather than my pint I would tend to agree. My prception at the time was he was being picky but actually in hindsight maybe not. And was really pleased he did Pascali for jersey pulling - I hate that.

I didn't sit through that but I suspect it was a bit like getting all the ingrediants right in your recipe but making a dogs dinner of the end result.

Even say 10/11 were technically correct or at least arguably so, but when 4 softish tackles that are still fouls between two players adds up to two red cards then you've lost it. I don't like jersey tugging either and I recall seeing that one, he had a tug that barely hindered the player before letting go in an unthreatening position that if it did indeed impede the opposition player but was worth no more than a final warning.