We're On The Ball

Rocky'

;) What an odd post. If you want to sit down then you can certainly do so but theres no need to have a go at the people who want to/like to stand.

The Taylor Report is synonymous with the recommendation that all major stadia convert to an all-seater model, that all ticketed spectators have seats, as opposed to some or all being obliged to stand. The Football League in England and the Scottish Football League introduced regulations that clubs in the highest divisions (top 2 divisions in the English system[3]) must comply to this recommendation.

So we got an all seater stadia and no one is obliged to stand, they have a seat if they want it. Where does that say we have to sit down and shut up for 90 minutes or get thrown out?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stewarding at Fir Park on Tuesday night was more akin to Celtic Park or Ibrox than what we are used to. The best example was when one particular jobsworth who was bullied at school comes up to Jame (Mon_da_well) and calls him "wee man". Jamie points out that he is in no way "wee" (fat dick ;) ) and he is huckled out of the stadium. We counted atleast 14 people being ejected for nothing on Tuesday night and with the way some of them were treated i'd be surprised if they were back.

Me and my big cousin were both chucked out the stadium (for the second time in as many home matches) for no more than celebrating the McHugh goal on tuesday night.

Stewards really need to get a grip but i must say, there is one steward who at least has some common sence and always has a bit of banter with me and my mates, really cant say the same about one of the other fat stewards.

JOB was running down the wing and my mate stood up (along with all 20 or so of us) and the stewards start haveing a right go at him for no reason inparticular other than he was a lot smaller than the rest of us and he looked like an easy target, so King Kongs brother asks him to sit down and he does so politely saying to me how much of a joke it is and the steward hears him and starts bawling at him and then grabs him by the sleeve and pulls him half way across the seats (we were sitting in the middle) and in doing so ripps his brand new lyle and scott jacket, obviously he is raging and pulls away from him, one of the women policemen steps in and ejects him saying he's lucky for not jailed for resisting assault.

So he phones his mum and she comes down (remember were only 14 lads) and asks courtiously to speak to the head of the east stand security and is met by the call "shut the door and tell her to f*** off" she is going ballistic and goes and talks to one of the two policemen across the street and asks him where the head stewrding office is and all we got was "if your not happy write a letter to the club expressing your concern" < this is bullshit, on numorous occaisions i have written to the club and recieved no feedback whatsoever and zero help.

A few of us are seriously considering not going back and demanding a refund for our season tickets ?

But what can you do?

English obviously not your subject. Read the whole sentence, don't just highlight the bit that gives you a hard-on.

You saying the rest of the stadium sits and shuts up for 90mins.....not where I sit. You should try sitting there one game, see how the adults behave at the fitba.

Every game I've been at this year theres been hassle with the stewards & Motherwell fans who try to stay standing the whole game!

Its a fuckin joke a bit of common sense is all thats needed, more often than not the people standing are not blocking anyones view and if thats the case they should be allowed to stand! If there blocking their fellow fans view, then sit down or move....simple!!

Theres been confrontations/people getting chucked out various grounds since the season kicked off n its petty as fuck!! Oh theres 20 boys standing lets get 4 stewards to stand infront of them for the rest of the game and keep telling them to sit down...fuckin daft!

I think there should be a standing AND a seated section like in the past, that way you can decide what you wanna do! Personally I think standing is much better.

Every game I've been at this year theres been hassle with the stewards & Motherwell fans who try to stay standing the whole game!

Its a fuckin joke a bit of common sense is all thats needed, more often than not the people standing are not blocking anyones view and if thats the case they should be allowed to stand! If there blocking their fellow fans view, then sit down or move....simple!!

Theres been confrontations/people getting chucked out various grounds since the season kicked off n its petty as fuck!! Oh theres 20 boys standing lets get 4 stewards to stand infront of them for the rest of the game and keep telling them to sit down...fuckin daft!

I think there should be a standing AND a seated section like in the past, that way you can decide what you wanna do! Personally I think standing is much better.

Aye, lets just do what we want, never mind the rules and all that shite......that's the answer, simples....you're right enuff.

English obviously not your subject. Read the whole sentence, don't just highlight the bit that gives you a hard-on.

You saying the rest of the stadium sits and shuts up for 90mins.....not where I sit. You should try sitting there one game, see how the adults behave at the fitba.

Mate, what you on about?

I have no problems sitting at the football just dont really see the harm in getting a little excited when were actually doing something with the ball?

Anything wrong with that ?

EDIT - Sp

Mate, what you on about?

I have no problems sitting at the football just dont really see the harm in getting a little excited when were actually doing something with the ball?

Anything wrong with that ?

EDIT - Sp

No nothing at all, I agree (and act the same).

The problem down the bottom section of the east is they want to be allowed to stand all the time.

I sat further up that end with a mate on Tuesday and saw it for myself, it was sport for them....nothing more. To be honest, I don't even know why I bothered posting, I'm too long in the tooth to start arguing with teenagers who canny do what they're told.

Thats for stewards, polis and mammies...no me.

It doesent seem theres much point trying to have a sensible debate with you. I'll ask you once more though, where does it state in that paragraph that patrons must sit down for the duration of the game? It states that all the stadia must be all seated and that each punter with a ticket should be allocated to a single seat. This is simply to avoid a crush situation or too many people being in one section. In no place does it say that you have to actually sit in the seat for the full game. There is some kind of green pamphlet that has been produced that i believe the stewards and match commander adhere to and it is in this that i believe there is a guideline about getting people to sit down, in no way is this the law. I dont disagree with you that stadiums should be all seater to avoid disasters like Hillsborough but standing infront of your seat and cheering on your team is not a health and safety risk.

EDIT: I think that the only teenager who has posted in this thread supporting standing up is callum, the rest of us are aw big grown ups.

If the people that choose to stand are in no ones view of the game AND there standing infront of seat there is no safety issue.....I AGREE....... and they should be well within their right to do so...........NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Did you miss a goal because of the standing loyal Decal? ;) ...naw!! :P

Pardon my ignorance, have their powers increased? Since when are stewards allowed to manhandle the supporters? If so, why are the club paying for an excessive level of police manpower on matchdays?

Accident waiting to happen ;) Latest in a long line of 'one step forward, two steps back' (good job the team are playing well, deflection) from the corridors of power at the club. Well, the club have promoted some daft office bint into the safety officer role...

I've thought about putting up a logical explanation but i cant be arsed, ultimately the stewards are a joke.

Its safe to stand up on a First Scotrail Lanark to Glasgow train at 7.55am with folk so close that your touching and breathing on them, whilst on a moving vehicle, but its not safe to stand at a football stadium which is practically never at capacity which is moving at a velocity of 0ms-1 and has a vast area of grass which people can spill out on if they are gettign crushed to death.

Its all bullshit...anyone who sticks up for it is totally subordinate.

Edit: I understand not being able to stand at somewhere like Emirates or something which has a large capacity which is probably almost full each week, but dont police across the board, police to your particular scenario, and ours doesnt require the anal approach which they are taking.

Some of the debate on here seems to be centred around the legalities of standing at the game. This should not be in question. The stadium regulations state that standing is "strictly forbidden" and by buying a ticket or paying at the gate you are accepting this, whether you agree with it or not.

So, unless this can be changed, the stewards are well within their rights to ask anyone to sit down at any time.

The only complaint here should be the way that some of the stewards go about their business. We all know that club employees read the boards and post in other threads, so it would be interesting to hear their response to some of the allegations in this thread.

I have no idea what a steward earns, but I wouldn't imagine it to be a fortune, so it may just be a case of if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I am wholeheartedly behind standing at the football. However, because the end section of the East Stand is full of wee boys who seem to only want to do it to cause confrontation and feel mental for a wee while, it'll never get widespread backing from the Motherwell supporters, whether we like it or not. Guys like Decal may sound like he's being a bit condescending, but the points he make are valid and are shared by (in my opinion) the majority of the East Stand. Guys like me, MelvinBragg, etc standing in the back couple of rows don't bother anyone, but it seems like the crowd down the far end just want to push it all the time.

If the club/stewards/police/whoever announced that it was now perfectly acceptable to stand at the football, then these folk would take it upon themselves to do the bouncy for ninety minutes, and then moan about it when they're told to stop. They will always push it further, because a lot of them are motivated by showing off to their mates and bragging at school about getting chucked out the fitba, and it ruins it for the rest of us.

so King Kongs brother asks him to sit down and he does so politely saying to me how much of a joke it is and the steward hears him and starts bawling at him and then grabs him by the sleeve and pulls him half way across the seats (we were sitting in the middle) and in doing so ripps his brand new lyle and scott jacket, obviously he is raging and pulls away from him, one of the women policemen steps in and ejects him saying he's lucky for not jailed for resisting assault.

Okay there will be 2 sides to every story, but I'm sure that if you've enough witnesses who can collaborate your story, then you've every chance of moving forward with an assault charge against the steward here.

Given that it's also against a minor, its probably press which the club aren't wanting also.

Where's that Sun hack when you need him??

I couldn't agree more, but when did the Stewards get the mandate to manhandle weans??

If the club don't take anything forward on the stewarding then its left to Joe Public to start passing the grief back to them.

i've been PUT out every ground in the spl mate and you are right,the stewards are not aloud to lay a finger on you its the ob job

Standing at the football is fine as long as it doesnt affect another supporters enjoyment. There should be proper standing areas and the end section of the East Stand seems the best area for this to be allowed at Fir Park.

Manhandling by stewards isn't really on.

Calling them paedos en masse isn't really on (and lessens any of the legitimate gripes anybody has)

It's something that should have been effectively sorted a long time ago between the club, the stewards and the police and a consistent and enforcable solution clearly introduced for home and away supports no matter how big

Some of the behaviour at the deep end is crigeworthy though.