I'm Gutted Ross Is A Star

numpty

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...-is-a-star.html

JIM CHAPMAN still remembers the grin on Ross Forbes' face after his first competitive game.

The beaming kid marching off a wind-battered pitch at Berwick had loved every moment of his chance to shine away from the Motherwell stiffs.

Dumbarton boss Chappy had a warm glow inside too at the performance he'd just witnessed.

That's why he must be the only one gutted by the midfielder's rapid progress at Fir Park this term.

Chapman took Forbes on loan last January and saw him help the Sons land the Third Division title. He was hoping to borrow the 20-year-old again this term but Forbes has become a key man for Jim Gannon's Well.

Chappy said: "Ross has done just brilliantly this season.

"I'm actually disappointed he's in their first team because I was hoping he'd come back to Dumbarton!

"When Ross finished with us last season we asked Motherwell if they'd keep us posted and let us know if he wasn't going to feature.

"We were also mindful he was going into the last year of his contract. So if he was released we were ready to welcome him with open arms.

"But the changes at Motherwell in the summer meant the younger players got a crack at things.

"He got his opportunity to go into the first team and it's complete credit to him how he took his chance.

"It doesn't surprise me though because of his willingness to work and learn.

"Technically he'll cope no problem, tactically he'll learn and you only get experience by doing things.

"But as much as we were delighted to see Ross doing so well we were raging because I'm selfish that way and I thought I was going to get a good quality player back!

"There's a wee bit of me thinking 'He could be doing that for us again'.

"But I like to think the experience he had at Dumbarton is helping him produce what he is now."

Forbes embraced everything about his loan move, set up through Well's head of youth development Gordon Young.

He didn't act like a Billy Big Time. Chapman said: "I'd seen their Under-19s play a few times and Gordon had said Ross needed that wee step to become a bit more competitive.

"We got him in to train with us and you could see from his technical ability that he'd be an asset.

"But at the same time players must want to come on loan for it to have any chance of working. It's also important these type of boys go to a club where there's the right programme so they can continue their football education.

"Credit to him because he came here and worked so hard.

"We tweaked one or two bits of his game. His speed of play was quite slow because he had more time on the ball at the level he'd been playing at.

"In the Third Division it's fast and furious. He had to use the ball a bit better which he could obviously do.

"But his application and attitude towards everything we asked of him was first class.

"It wasn't as if it was 'Ross Forbes, on loan from Motherwell'. It was 'Ross Forbes the footballer' because he just loved working'.

"I'll never forget a comment he made after we put him on against Berwick in his first game for us in January.

"After helping us get a good victory down there he came off with this big smile on his face.

"He said to my No2 Alan Adamson: 'That was the first time I've played a game that's really meant something'.

"That struck a chord with me. You could tell he suddenly realised he had a responsibility out on that park and he took it on.

"Maybe he got a culture shock when he first came in - having to do stuff like take your own training gear home to wash.

"But I always say your character forms your reputation. And Ross' character is earning him a very good reputation."

I'm not really seeing any blatant credit seeking or anything like that there, just a good appreciation of the player and how it was mutually beneficial for them both when he was there.

It is a bit of a remarkable story that someone can go from playing in the Third Division to being a standout and key player in an SPL team in a small number of months. The fact that he's young and Scottish just adds to it.

Just a nice positive piece for once about one of our players. No more, no less.

That's what i took from it aswell, and i think he loan move did help because sometimes a wee step back from the comfort zone into the real mire of football can be the right guidance to make a player stick in and full credit to the boy cause he's doing exceptionally well.

If he can continue it over a few seasons he could go places in the game.

Yea, I thought it was a really good piece too!

Ross' performances to date this season would certainly vindicate the process of going on loan to get experience. However, the key is the player I'd think. If he wants to be there, get the best from it, then he'll benefit tenfold. If, on the other hand, he huffs and puffs and clearly has a problem with being there then it's almost a waste of time.

'Flow