"i Wasn't Disappointed To Lose Out On The Hibs Job"

numpty

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-21699141/

JIM GANNON has no hard feelings about John Hughes pipping him for the Hibs job - and insists becoming Motherwell manager was not just a consolation prize.

Gannon was twice interviewed to succeed Mixu Paatelainen at Easter Road but Rod Petrie and Co gave the nod to Leith legend Hughes instead.

But Gannon, whose side face Hibs tomorrow, recovered from the rejection by landing the top post at Fir Park - and admits he is more than happy in his job.

He said: "It is hard to say which is the bigger club. You can judge that on finances, crowds and success in the league and in all those categories last season Hibs were above Well.

"But the size of the club doesn't really bother me. It is about the spirit of the club and at Fir Park we have a great spirit growing.

"We have recovered from poor expectations at the start of the season to grow and we are very much a club that is in a healthy situation.

"It's a really enjoyable experience for myself, the players, the staff and the fans at the moment.

"I wasn't disappointed to lose out on the Hibs job because there was still a lot of dust to settle with my situation at Stockport.

"It was hard to explain the feelings I had at the time. I wasn't in a rush to get an appointment anyway.

"After the experiences of Stockport I thought it might be good for me to sit out of the game for a bit."

Gannon, though, has no regrets about heading to Easter Road to be interviewed.

He said: "It was a great experience to meet a fantastic group of professionals. You have nothing to lose in that situation because these people become aware of the kind of person you are.

"They obviously decided John was the ideal candidate for them at that stage."

People expected the Lanarkshire club to struggle after the departures of Paul Quinn, David Clarkson, Stephen Hughes and Ross McCormack.

A new batch of talented kids have come through but rather than fearing they will be snatched away, Gannon wants his top players to bring big money to the club.

He said: "I had this experience at Stockport where I had several players sold for millions and as a boss you accept that is a natural evolution of their career."

He just never puts a foot wrong in the press, does he? Imagine McGhee was in the same situation and asked the same questions. Mutley could learn a lot from Gannon in that respect.

Please take a seat.

I have to defend McShovelface here (I told you to sit down). I think he said something similar before last season's opener against Hearts. Something about it being a bigger job but not necessarily a better one, I'm sure someone could dig out the actual quote if they could be arsed (I can't). It was McShovelface's actions rather than his words that I took issue with most of the time. For the most part, he talked a good game...

But your general point does hold. Gannon seems to have a knack of saying the right thing to the media...

Please take a seat.

I have to defend McShovelface here (I told you to sit down). I think he said something similar before last season's opener against Hearts. Something about it being a bigger job but not necessarily a better one, I'm sure someone could dig out the actual quote if they could be arsed (I can't). It was McShovelface's actions rather than his words that I took issue with most of the time. For the most part, he talked a good game...

I think you're right about McGhee saying that last season about the Hearts job, but to be honest I think that he DID regret not getting on that plane eventually, especially once the European 'adventure' was over. His attitude toward the club and the support really riled me at times last season and it was as if he just didn't want to be here.

Jim Gannon so far has been a breath of fresh air to the club and has handled himself very well when talking to the media and does seem to have a genuine enthusiasm for his job at MFC and doesn't spend half of his pre or post match interviews talking about Celtic like his predecessor did. Don't get me wrong, I think that McGhee was/is very good with the media aswell and speaks very well, but does so more for himself than of the club.

Please take a seat.

But your general point does hold. Gannon seems to have a knack of saying the right thing to the media...

You are 100% correct here is the article. Still hate McGhee though <_<

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ell/7420398.stm

We will lose Gannon after two seasons though. Don't anyone get their hopes up

You could be right. Apparently he's very well quoted with what he's does at FP already, both on and of the park.

Then...we always have been a bit of a breeding ground and probably always will be.

Let hope JG can get us a trophy or 2 in the meantime!!

I suppose it also depends on what Gannon's amibitions are. He was always loyal in the past I seem to recall and maybes he'll want to take the club to a new level and actually achieve something concrete before considering a new challenge.

If Gannon does well for us then it's only to be expected that bigger clubs will come knocking on his door. I don't begrudge any Mothewell manager or player for wanting to move on an better themselves if they are good enough and have given us the best service that they can, but there's a way to go about things and there have of course been a few individuals over the last few years who's attitudes in their deparutres has left a bad taste in the mouth. We all know who they are.

I think maybe Gannon will stay longer than a couple of seasons. He seems to be a bit more loyal than McGoo. I believe he turned down the Brighton manager's job to stay at Stockport even though he knew they were going into administration, then what did he get for that loyalty, but paid off by the administrators.

But I definitely agree he is a breath of fresh air.

The reaction to McGhee from certain people is a bit over the top considering how he saved our team from the brink of first division football.

During his time at the club, people on here were glorifying him, much the same as they are now with Gannon, for his honesty in the press and how it is refreshing he says it like it is. That's until he says he something we don't want to hear, of course.

Mark McGhee may have annoyed people for leaving in the way he did, but being honest I don't blame him. He had the opportunity to go to a club (two if you count Celtic) that is very close to him and he took it. If the roles were reversed and I was the manager at Aberdeen and Motherwell came calling I would do the same. Aye it is upsetting after he tried to pinch some of our players away but shit happens, it underlines how good a team he built for us here.

From a personal point of view, he guided our football club through a very hard period when Phil O'Donnell died, something that is quickly forgotten by many. The man stood outside Fir Park shell shocked and spoke to the fans and press. He took the full team to the funeral and he even turned up to the fund raiser at the civic with Tam Cowan (to which he received a standing ovation if I remember rightly). He also revived the career of David Clarkson and Paul Quinn who were possibly a season away from first division football. The treatment he has received from some fans, including those at Aberdeen, are way over the top and are tasteless to say the least.

I fully expect Gannon to probably receiving similar treatment from certain people when he ends up going as well, but the fickle football fan will always be like that. I just hope it is not for a good few years yet.