Legends Who Have Played At The Ark'

garymurdoch

Had me thinking the other day of players who have played at Fir Park who have either gone on to become Legends or very highly respectable within the football world. My dad says Eusebio played at the ark.

For me personally in my lifetime Iv seen Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Ian Wright, Gazza, Crouchy, Sammer, Theo Wallcott. Maybe not legends but they have had very successful careers. Managed to grab Viallis autograph at the under 16s european championship where he scouted Italian captain Dalla Bonna to Chelsea. Also rememer seeing Robbie Fowler at a Rangers game and not to mention Sir Alex.

Anybody else seen some talented footballers at the Ark?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ajax team that played in a friendly had a good showing of legends (including guys like Ruud Krol), as did the Liverpool team in the Centenary game.

Any idea of the line-up?

Laurie Cunningham and Cyrile Regis looked special from what I've seen. Played against us in Joe Wark's testemonial in 1978-ish.

Christian Vieri played at Fir Park in Scotland U-21 match.

I remember a Scotland "B" international against Yugolslavia in the late 80's/eraly 90's. I'll need to dig out the programme but I think Vladimir Jugovic and Dejan Saviecivic were playing.

Sami Hyppia for Mypa-47

Maybe not legends but all very,very good players.

Was it Joonas Kolkka I think that also played for Mypa in that tie that really caused us bother. Went on to play for PSV Eindhoven and few other decent teams, not a legend but just a right decent player that helped MyPa along to victory unfortunately.

<h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading">

</h1>

Gerson of Flamenco who went on to star in the great Brazil world cup winning side of 1970. Flamenco played us in 1960 and Gerson started with them from 1959 to 1963.

A goal in the 1970 WC final must mean he tops the list. The boy done good.

Dwight Yorke and Savo Milosevic ripped us a new one in a highly embarrassing friendly match a few years back.

As well as Mattias Sammer, the Borussia Dortmund team that played at Fir Park featured Julio Cesar, Stefan Reuter, Andy Moller, Karl Heinz Reidle and Stephane Chapuisat!

Repeating others, though I believe the Dortmund team had 15 internationalists out of 16.

Sammer, Reuter, Chapuisat, Moller, Riedle listed as starts in the programme with Freund and Ricken on the bench. Seems strange that they needed our Lambert to improve them.  :D  

Looking back at the programme for the 1989 under 16 World Cup, no-one notable appears.

Brazil played Bahrain in the quarters at FP, though there is no-one with any profile in the Brazil squad. 

(Figo is listed for Portugal, though he would have played all his games in Embra and his team got to the semis, just to be beaten by Scotland :P )

SD

[edit: under 16 World Cup].

Frank Worthington played for Leeds and scored a cracker against us.

Gordon Banks performed heroics to restrict the well to a 1-0 victory over Stoke

I was at the Stoke game and Banks was magnificent that night, I still remember one save he made in the top right hand corner, he just seemed to fly through the air.

Another legendary keeper was Pat Jennings who played against us for Spurs in the Texaco cup alongside Mullery, Peters and Chivers.

Jennings holds the record for playing most times against Scotland - 19

Peters also scored in a World Cup Final

I suppose it has to be asked - Players who have played at Fir Park who have had top 20 hits ?

Neeskens scored in the 1974 WC Final (although it was a pen). The Dutch 74 and 78 squads were arguably the best teams never to win the World Cup.

Neeskens joined Michels and Cruyff at Barcelona in 1974 so didn't play in the Ajax team that played at Fir Park. Rep was also absent having joined Valencia after Ajax's failure to retain the European cup in 1975. His other claim to fame was his almost single-handed role in leading Corsican Mafia-backed side Bastia to the UEFA Cup Final in 1978.

As regards "Top 20 hits",Gazza may have a shout with his lamentable "Fog On The Tyne".