Legends Who Have Played At The Ark'

garymurdoch

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neeskens joined Michels and Cruyff at Barcelona in 1974 so didn't play in the Ajax team that played at Fir Park. Rep was also absent having joined Valencia after Ajax's failure to retain the European cup in 1975. His other claim to fame was his almost single-handed role in leading Corsican Mafia-backed side Bastia to the UEFA Cup Final in 1978.

The Ajax team was,

Tervoort

Suurbier

Krol

Hulshoff

Van Dord

Lamain

Zuidema

Gluic

Tahamata

Geels

Lerby

Subs,

Kok

Stuy

I've got the program framed with a match report. We won 4-2 and apparently we made a £4000 loss after we paid their expenses of £10000. The crowd was 7,535.

The match report says, "Motherwell played the possesion game used in Europe and pulverised Ajax, who fielded their strongest side. However, the enthusiasm of some the Dutch players was questionable"

I was only 9 at the time, but I vaguely remember the game.

Wasn't the Rangers Emerson the ex-Middlesbrough one ?

I was working at The Royal Lancaster Hotel in London when Middlesborough stayed when they were playing in the League Cup Final at Wembley.

Emerson was pretty much a law unto himself and they just seemed to let him do what he wanted. Night before the game when the rest of the team were tucked up in bed he was on the table next to me in the hotels Thai restaurant with his missus tucking into Thai green curry with a couple of Singha beers.

Next day he played really well

I was at the Stoke game and Banks was magnificent that night, I still remember one save he made in the top right hand corner, he just seemed to fly through the air.

f1z97c.jpg

sfcffl.jpg

Brilliant nights, I loved all tour Texaco Cup games (apart from the late Hearts semi final defeat at the Ark). God I hated Donald Ford!

Back to Banks he was a great keeper but Keith Macrae was better. :lol:

f1z97c.jpg

sfcffl.jpg

Halceon days look at the crowd inside FP enough to bring tears to a gless eye. Alas we'll never see the likes of those crowds again unfortunately. (I got lifted over the turnstile for that game so was able to buy a bovril wi ma money for getting in ;) )

The Ajax team was,

Tervoort

Suurbier

Krol

Hulshoff

Van Dord

Lamain

Zuidema

Gluic

Tahamata

Geels

Lerby

Subs,

Kok

Stuy

I've got the program framed with a match report. We won 4-2 and apparently we made a £4000 loss after we paid their expenses of £10000. The crowd was 7,535.

The match report says, "Motherwell played the possesion game used in Europe and pulverised Ajax, who fielded their strongest side. However, the enthusiasm of some the Dutch players was questionable"

I was only 9 at the time, but I vaguely remember the game.

Many thanks for this.

Ruud Geels up-front I see. Fantastic goalscoring record but I think he fell out with Cruijff so was rarely picked for the national side. Hulshoff won 3 straight European Cups and only missed the 1974 WC through injury.

• 1 month later...
Sasa Curcic = Legend.

Just seen him score a brilliant goal at Chelsea not long afer signing for Bolton on Sky Sports - Premiership Years form 1995 there. He was certainly a legend!

Known to enjoy his night-life and his appreciation of the opposite sex, he remarked: 'I would not sign for another club, not even if I was offered 15 million dollars. However, it would be different if they were to instead offer me 15 different women from all around the world. I would tell the club chairman: 'Please let me make these women happy - I will satisfy them like they have never been satisfied before'.

This little quote I found was interesting....

It has been rumoured that Ćurčić has been approached by Channel 4 bosses to participate in the final series of Celebrity Big Brother in 2010, after having appeared and won the Serbian equivalent two years ago