Men On The Post At Corners.

WilliePettigrew

We have lost goals to Accies and the sheep today from corner kicks. IMO if we had a man on the back post on each occassion then the opposition wouldn't have scored. When I played football and it wasn't that long ago, you always defended corner kicks by putting a man on each post. Why have we stopped doing this!

Aye that's pissing me off a bit too. Gannon was a defender though so whatever way he wants us to defend is fien by me.

1 loss in 12 league games doesn't lie.

Same thing happened, if I remember correctly, in his first game against Llanelli.

In saying that I am delighted with only two defeats in 14 matches in all domestic competitions.

I remember Gannon commenting on his reasoning for this a while back. He reckons that he prefers to defend properly in the box, rather than have a player on either post. Also asked his defenders how often they ever had to clear a ball off the line when positioned at the post, and they said hardly ever!

I remember Gannon commenting on his reasoning for this a while back. He reckons that he prefers to defend properly in the box, rather than have a player on either post. Also asked his defenders how often they ever had to clear a ball off the line when positioned at the post, and they said hardly ever!

If he had someone on the back post last two games then they would have said twice and we might have 4 more points.

Aye that's pissing me off a bit too. Gannon was a defender though so whatever way he wants us to defend is fien by me.

1 loss in 12 league games doesn't lie.

but howamy of those games should we have won but turned into draws?

Today's game

rangers

accies..

Any more?

We badly need a striker

Yeah, its the current trend among managers not to put players on the posts. They want all the players picking up a man rather than areas.

Yeah, its the current trend among managers not to put players on the posts. They want all the players picking up a man rather than areas.

Yip, if the opposition are marked properly then there is nay need for defenders on the posts. It's a sensible compromise I reckon.

To the original poster.... I understand your frustration but you've got to admit we look a lot more solid and organised at corners than we have done for years. Every corner used to be heart in mouth time for us so Gannon must have done something right.

Only couple of things on this.

If Gannon said to the players "how often have you cleared a ball off the line at a corner", the answer will always be hardly every coz it's been YEARS since we put a man on the post!

I personally wished we did put someone on the post, but canny mind what game it was yesterday in the premiership, but someone got beat at the post despite the fact they were hugging it showing how hard it can be.

My biggest moan is the fact that we have 11 men in the box at corners. It we had at least 1 man up front it gives us the opportunity for a quick breakaway rather than clearing the ball up to the halfway line where they have plenty of time to put it back into our box.

That goal was my fault. Nothing to with the defence. Some bugger near me said that it was never a corner and I said, it hardly matters we don't lose goals from these anymore. So humble apologies to all.

Seriously though I'd rather have them marking men. Two reasons - 1) as said its rare that the clearance is made and 2) if the clearance is a hit and hope the man on the post ends up playing anyone who is interfering with the goalie onside if the other team have a potshot from the clearance.

We have lost goals to Accies and the sheep today from corner kicks. IMO if we had a man on the back post on each occassion then the opposition wouldn't have scored. When I played football and it wasn't that long ago, you always defended corner kicks by putting a man on each post. Why have we stopped doing this!

Just watched the highlights online.............man on the post hopefully clears the ball !

My concern is in the last 3 games we have played at least 30 mins against 10 men and we have fell apart.......!!