Motherwell V Dundee United

Rickoza

soooo frustrating

with this game and last week against aberdeen .. and numerous other occasions ... these are not bad results

it's the manner of the results that hurts

to be fair it sounded like we came pretty close on a few occasions to killing it off today ... but in the end it's the same old story

disappointing

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On way home from the game, another 2 points lost, don't agree with it being a good result, I said it last week but why does gannon insist on making changes to a winning team that looks comfortable. Murphy was playing great and J.o.b did precisely hee haw when he came on. If they didn't go down to 9 we may have lost.

If we Had won instead of drawn against gers, accies, dons and united we'd be top. Very very frustrating.

Rant over, feel better now

I am disappointed like many with the result, but more pis*** off with people booing the team off the park! Do people realise what this can do to a team?

Footballing/Passing wise that was a superb game. At times I am sure Dundee Utd was thinking they would never get the ball again.

2 things need to be addressed: Finishing a team off and we still have defensive issues, but I am sure we will sort this as well.

So far Gannon is a huge success and I hope people dont spoil the development by stupidly booing for a draw against a team that beat the Celtic the week earlier! GET A GRIP!

A few problems with today's performance other than the obvious of throwing away ANOTHER two points:

a) Tom Hateley had a very poor game by his high standards, unfortunately his passing wasn't hitting the mark and he was leaving his team mates in a load of bother.

b) Bringing us on to Keith Lasley. Two games in a row we've taken Forbes off and the midfield have went to pot. Forbes is clearly not up to 90 minutes, so we need to address the problem, maybe change the shape? Push Hateley up? But Lasley is not the answer, he gives cheap possesion away, asks for passes in a hopeless position and then when he loses it commits a foul. He is just not a player for us anymore, the great white hope he is not.

c) Mouatikil's performance will be criticised in many other quarters I think so just a few thoughts on him and the impact of his attacking, we need to designate someone to cover for him as time and time again in that second half they were getting in down that side.

d) I don't know if its because of him attacking or if it's a Gannon tactic, but we do not need tocamp in our own box when defending a one goal lead against a team down to 10 men. We should take the game to them and kill them off. That's about 10 points we've thrown away this season now and the good will in the stands seems to be wearing thin about these draws.

On an unrelated note, what the hell were Conway and Dixon getting themselves all worked up about when they scored?

Best go and tell Radio Scotland to change there Man of the Match then.

They probably weren't watching. He took about a dozen set pieces, between corners and freekicks, and they were almost all shite. Too many missed place passes, and generally just a bad day at the office for him. Quite happy to forgive him as he's been excellent so far this season, but what I won't forgive is Gannon continuing to play Moutakil, continuing to make daft substitutions for no reason, and continuing to decide one goal is enough. Every fucking week.

So far Gannon is a huge success and I hope people dont spoil the development by stupidly booing for a draw against a team that beat the Celtic the week earlier! GET A GRIP!

I agree with that mate but I think people are annoyed that 3 games in a row + Rangers we have played against 10 men. Fair enough Rangers was only for 4 or 5mins but we did miss a penalty.

People have a right to vent their anger although it may be in the wrong way.

On another point we have to learn to kill teams off. We should have won at LEAST 4 out of our 8 draws. We wouldve been top 3 if we could just finish teams off.

On another point we have to learn to kill teams off. We should have won at LEAST 4 out of our 8 draws. We wouldve been top 3 if we could just finish teams off.

But that's just it I'm afraid. We aren't able to kill teams off, simple as that. We don't have players who can hold the ball up, we don't have players to create the chances and we don't have enough firepower to turn these draws into wins. We've also been quite lucky to draw many of the games that we have this season; ie. St.Johnstone away, Aberdeen home and away, Celtic away & St.Mirren away so I don't think it's just a case of 'we just have to turn the draws into wins'.

I think this is as good as it's going to get for us this season and that's not a criticism of Jim Gannon or even the squad in general. It's a team in transition and IMO it's doing pretty well so far to be where it is at this stage of the season.

A lot of folk got really carried away with themselves after the Flamurtari 8-1 game and the first few games of the season and there was all the talk of us finishing 3rd, splitting the OF, winningt he Cup and being better than McGhee's team of 07/08 but that was expecting too much IMO.

I'd say that we're doing better than expected rather than the other way around.

Aye, it's frustrating, but if I'd been told back in June that we'd be were we are now albiet with plenty of frustrating matches you'd have bitten their hands off. We need to turn draws into defeats, defiently, but FFS booing the team off won't achieve anything at all. Pretty sure they'd be as frustrated as the rest of us. A very fortuitous piece of goalkeeping stopped us getting a last-minute winner today but look at the positives. Unted have been getting praises from all over, yet today you'd think we were the team who'd the oustanding season so far. That move, the one which was wrongly flagged for off-side, was brilliant stuff. Our two goals well taken, and you just knew that United would get another chance. Even with 10 men, they are a good side and attack well. Disappointing aspect of it for me was we were caught chasing up the park at 2-1 up, unnecessary and dangerous against a side which I said during the week relies on the break. I know turning some draws into wins would've made a huge difference, but then, after 13 games, anyone else think we'd be just 7 points off the top of the table? Or beaten just the once in the league? Work to be done, errors to erase, things to learn from. Bigger picture.

the bottom line is that we are a very hard team to beat, and that we are heading in the right

direction. Frustration is all part and parcel of supporting the 'well. Whilst, it's great to bag 3 points, it's good given how young our team is, not to lose against a good solid team who are highly respected. Given abit of patience and proper backing we can improve and be successful. Won't hold my breath mind you on that last bit.

If we keep going as we are and clear out the dead wood, bring in one or two more players we will be fine.

I think this is as good as it's going to get for us this season and that's not a criticism of Jim Gannon or even the squad in general. It's a team in transition and IMO it's doing pretty well so far to be where it is at this stage of the season.

That's what I've kept coming back to over recent weeks too.

Much as its been a really frustrating few weeks in terms of opportunities spurned and we've left grounds with a feeling almost akin to when we've lost when it boils down to it, if Gannon is to be believed, then we are still at the beginning of the journey.

I would like to hope they doing as well as they are, players as individuals and as a team are learning and gaining experience week on week.

Granted I do wonder how many times we might need to play against 10 men to be capable and composed enough to be able to handle the situation. You might have thought that 3 games in a row might have given them enough savvy to be able to deal with a in fourth game in succession but I would still like to think that they will benefit in the longer term from having to deal with the scenario.

On the game itself good character shown to get back into the game after going a goal down with two fine goals to get us ahead. Just a shame that again we've let it slip.

Could understand the decision to bring on Lasley to offer a bit more protection after recent weeks but the Murphy substitution was very debatable.

Some players get a label as impact players coming off the bench but you certainly can't say that of Jim O'Brien this week and last and it remains a bit of a frustration that Gannon seems intent in trying to force him to play in the middle when he seems to have contributed most out wide.

But we are where we are. Could be better, but still a decent position to be in.

I actually thought that we played well today and for the most part don't think there was a single player that had a particularly bad game. Hatelely got us in to trouble a few times but was also pretty solid for the majority of the game. Yassin did better than he has in previous weeks I though, although his crossing still needs work. How he can play inch perfect cross-field passes from the half way line and then fail to beat the first man on a cross into the box is beyond me!

A lot of good performances today though. Sutton did well and I'm really glad he scored as his hard work over this season has really paid off for the team and he's deserved to get a goal. Another cracker from Jutkiewicz and Murphy was superb today. I can only think that he was maybe subbed after taking a wee knock or something because he was terrorising United at points.

It feels like a loss due to having been in front and controlling the game but it feels like we're close to it all clicking and taking some team to pieces.

The main thing that disappointed me today was that it was a very exciting match but when they started to get under pressure, United resorted to just kicking every man up in the air. And don't get me started on the ref. He seemed determined to prevent either team playing football, poor show.

Very frustrating 2nd half this afternoon. Too many times we just make things difficult for ourselves by players trying to do something over-complicated rather than playing the simple pass and we end up losing posession particularly in midfield.

Plus points were 2 quality goals from the Duke and Sutton, another good showing from Murphy and once again Saunders was solid at the back.

My last comment is about the referee - absolutely a joke of a game, so inconsistent. I see both Gannon and Levein have commented on his performance on the BBC website

Not that it matters a jot, but our goal that was disallowed for offside when it was 2-1, is the best goal iv EVER seen us score. Was Arsenal-esque, or like the goal Barca scored against Liverpool (i think). Everyone in the side was involved at least once including Ruddy, and the ball was literally passed right around United, finishing with a tap-in to an empty net. Unfortunate that the timing of the 2nd last pass was slightly off, but football at it's finest.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining match today, despite the best attempts of the ref to waste it. Overall I felt we played well but did lack the killer instinct to put the game to bed.

We did keep the ball fairly well when they went down to ten men, but I think our problem is how we should attack in that situation. It is something we need to address because its cost us a good few points this season.

Ironically it was trying to attack more and commit more players forward that proved our undoing with their equaliser, when perhaps keeping the ball and making them work harder would've been wiser.

So that's eight draws from thirteen and probably four of them should've been victories. Imagine how good a position we'd be in with those extra eight points! That said we're still doing okay and the next few games shouldn't be feared.

Not that it matters a jot, but our goal that was disallowed for offside when it was 2-1, is the best goal iv EVER seen us score. Was Arsenal-esque, or like the goal Barca scored against Liverpool (i think). Everyone in the side was involved at least once including Ruddy, and the ball was literally passed right around United, finishing with a tap-in to an empty net. Unfortunate that the timing of the 2nd last pass was slightly off, but football at it's finest.

Yeah but in some folks minds....they probably thought "imagine being caught offside, i reckon it's Moutaouakil's fault for not telling him" :D