Soldiers Season Tickets

fatcalf

Irrational retort.

I don't support the troops.... but equally I don't want them dead!

Haggis: Of course there's 2 men who are to blame, however I will not and cannot accept that soldiers are blameless in all this.

Just out of interest, can you explain what you find so abhorrent about soldiers of the British Army?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give up with this guy NethertonWF, this is one mixed up fella. No balls for the real thing, plenty of rabbit about what others do, but in his own time he is an armchair warrior.

Bang Bang

I know I should but he makes people who were anti iraq war look like complete ignorant fools and it does ma heid in. I'm working at 6am the morra anyway so I'l be heading to my bed.

I hope to get another couple of arguments in though :lol:

So you're against them then?

i'm not against anybody but if you sign up, get on a plane to afghanistan and cut abut with a gun there's a fair chance it'll end badly. no one is forced to do it and i don't believe that either war has done anything to improve security in the uk. what exactly should i be grateful for. blaing the politicians is shite argument, everyone is ultimately responsible for their own actions.

Superb,we have one hypocrite who gets ripped into fans of another club for basically holding the same views as he does, The other is anti war blah blah blah, but plays war games on his computer, 'Call of Duty' anyone, you could not make it up.

How does it go Chris, left right left right..................Hilarious.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i don't have the same views of the green brigade about rememberance, i think it's important and valuable. i didn't clap the soldiers today but i didn't boo them either, if other people feel the need to clap them fair enough. people can do what they want but i'm not going to change my opinion about the issue or keep quiet about it on a public forum for the sale of not offending one eyed clowns.

anyone - explain what valuable function the military are currently providing.

Where is their moral fiber? Why do a job which will likely result in the deaths of innocent people and children?

That's laughable. As is the idea floating around that soldiers are in it for the money. Admittedly I'm a wee bit out of touch with today's rates of pay but a private soldier/lance-jack would probably be better off finacially on Civvy Street. Folk further up the ranks might do alright but still won't be earning as much as their aquired skills could get them outwith the Forces.

While I disagreed (in the earlier thread) with servicemen getting free admission as standard, I think the club shouldn't be criticised for passing out a limited number of season tickets - especially when Fir Park is half empty for most games. It's a small gesture but, at times, it means a lot to know that there's folk back home who appreciate what you do and in that regard full marks to Motherwell for this initiative. That's not to say you have to support any particular involvement, just to realise that the Jocks/Tommys might not agree with it either but they have a job to do - a job that they signed up for but in doing so helped keep the British Army comprised entirely of professional soldiers and avoiding the need for mandatory service by people who don't want to do it.

Politicians are the ones who declare war and it's their mistakes that are paid for in soldier's blood. If you have to have a go at anyone, have a go at the politicos (and I'll join in with you whole-heartedly) but do so realising that the troops didn't pick the fight, they're just the ones left to deal with the fall-out of some questionable choices.

That's laughable. As is the idea floating around that soldiers are in it for the money. Admittedly I'm a wee bit out of touch with today's rates of pay but a private soldier/lance-jack would probably be better off finacially on Civvy Street. Folk further up the ranks might do alright but still won't be earning as much as their aquired skills could get them outwith the Forces.

why sign up then?

While I disagreed (in the earlier thread) with servicemen getting free admission as standard, I think the club shouldn't be criticised for passing out a limited number of season tickets - especially when Fir Park is half empty for most games. It's a small gesture but, at times, it means a lot to know that there's folk back home who appreciate what you do and in that regard full marks to Motherwell for this initiative. That's not to say you have to support any particular involvement, just to realise that the Jocks/Tommys might not agree with it either but they have a job to do - a job that they signed up for but in doing so helped keep the British Army comprised entirely of professional soldiers and avoiding the need for mandatory service by people who don't want to do it.

Politicians are the ones who declare war and their mistakes that are paid for in soldier's blood. If you have to have a go at anyone, have a go at the politicos (and I'll join in with you whole-heartedly) but do so realising that the troops didn't pick the fight, they're just the ones left to deal with the fall-out of some questionable choices.

Agree with a lot of that last comment but if people didn't sign up politicians couldn't send them anywhere. So the politicians are more to blame and yes the ordinary soldier is far more likely to face the consequences but by signing up you give the politicians that power over you. I couldn't do that and I don't understand why any but the most desperate would do that either.

i'm not against anybody but if you sign up, get on a plane to afghanistan and cut abut with a gun there's a fair chance it'll end badly. no one is forced to do it and i don't believe that either war has done anything to improve security in the uk. what exactly should i be grateful for. blaing the politicians is shite argument, everyone is ultimately responsible for their own actions.

i don't have the same views of the green brigade about rememberance, i think it's important and valuable. i didn't clap the soldiers today but i didn't boo them either, if other people feel the need to clap them fair enough. people can do what they want but i'm not going to change my opinion about the issue or keep quiet about it on a public forum for the sale of not offending one eyed clowns.

anyone - explain what valuable function the military are currently providing.

Oh resorting to insults again!! You are incapable of substaining an argument without one.

They aren't responsible for their own actions when they sign up they do as they are told and politicians make that choice. What part of that don't you understand? Do you want them to go on strike if they don't agree with a war?

Oh resorting to insults again!! You are incapable of substaining an argument without one.

They aren't responsible for their own actions when they sign up they do as they are told and politicians make that choice. What part of that don't you understand? Do you want them to go on strike if they don't agree with a war?

Yes, yes and thrice yes!

Some did refuse to serve in Iraq, if only more did but then it is a big ask when the government is willing to ruin your life for having strong moral backbone!

I think the club shouldn't be criticised for passing out a limited number of season tickets - especially when Fir Park is half empty for most games. It's a small gesture but, at times, it means a lot to know that there's folk back home who appreciate what you do and in that regard full marks to Motherwell for this initiative.

Well said that man.

Perhaps you can't understand it but it doesn't necessarily follow that anyone who signs up is desperate.

I do know that and find it quite worrying. Why would you voluntarily put yourself in such a position. Risking own life and possibly be asked to take someone elses for spurious reasons?

That is the crux of it for me. I definately don't understand it and not sure I want to.

Not wrong but do we need trained armed forces to help out with flooding? That said regardless it a laudible and useful purpose but it hardly makes up for all the rest.

Can you suggest another group of skilled labour that will do the job for nothing at short notice?

I don't know if you are aware, but the army don't just kill people.

Yes, yes and thrice yes!

Some did refuse to serve in Iraq, if only more did but then it is a big ask when the government is willing to ruin your life for having strong moral backbone!

:lol: I actually surrender to your ignorance. Well done your stupidity has defeated me.

:lol: I actually surrender to your ignorance. Well done your stupidity has defeated me.

Hurrah! :lol:

Prefer to think of it as an enlightened view, think of how much better off so many of the killed and wounded military members might be just now if they had as one just said to Blair, fuck off we're not invading Iraq you are clearly making this shit up about WMD! Would have been brilliant. :-)

I know I should but he makes people who were anti iraq war look like complete ignorant fools and it does ma heid in. I'm working at 6am the morra anyway so I'l be heading to my bed.

I hope to get another couple of arguments in though :lol:

His opinion in this debate is about as worthy as that of Hugh Keevins about football. Nuff Said.

I do know that and find it quite worrying. Why would you voluntarily put yourself in such a position. Risking own life and possibly be asked to take someone elses for spurious reasons?

That is the crux of it for me. I definately don't understand it and not sure I want to.

exactly. why do that?

Can you suggest another group of skilled labour that will do the job for nothing at short notice?

I don't know if you are aware, but the army don't just kill people.

Lol I obviosuly can't and I quite aware of that yes. I not been calling them bridge building wankers or anything and if we must have a military that is far a better use of their time and more power to them when they doing something positive.

Hurrah! :lol:

Prefer to think of it as an enlightened view, think of how much better off so many of the killed and wounded military members might be just now if they had as one just said to Blair, fuck off we're not invading Iraq you are clearly making this shit up about WMD! Would have been brilliant. :-)

I actually wished that they had. But if they did the argument would be the same. Why sign up? You knew what you were signing up for.

I actually wished that they had. But if they did the argument would be the same. Why sign up?

Presumably to defend their country from real threats and that kind of thing? Like someone invading as unlikely as that does sound in this era.

I do understand it would be a bit tough to run the thing if it was a 50/50 split on an issue or what not and to a certain extent they have to rely on other peoples word on what a situation is. But definately more defensive than offensive would be a start.

I'll applaud them for having the balls to sign up. I cant imagine in my wildest nightmares ever wanting to join the army and do what they do. Thanks to the servicemen and woman, like the ones on our park at half time, i dont ever need to. Russia, Germany, Austria, Finland, Greece Sweden and Turkey are all examples of countries where military service is mandatory and people dont have the luxury of choosing. So, aye, thanks all who sign up so i dont have to.