Jim Gannon And Referees

El Grew

Gannon does not want our team to close down and tackle, he wants us to play a passing game that is patient and builds from the back. He is teaching young players to play the game properly and if that means we don't win much then 'thats life'. Its a learning experience

it's not a learning experience it's the spl. if we're going to become a kindergarten club then maybe the season ticket prices should come down. everyone wants to see a team play good football and play fair but i think we're being a bit too extreme. what's good about watching our back 4 passing it about for a minute amongst themselves until they put themselves under pressure or watching our players stand off and let opponents attack at will while the oppostion are going in full blooded for the ball?

if solid, pragamatic football was good enough for faddy, pearson, clarky, mcdonald and quinn to get big moves and very rich i can't see it harming any of our current batch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not a learning experience it's the spl. if we're going to become a kindergarten club then maybe the season ticket prices should come down. everyone wants to see a team play good football and play fair but i think we're being a bit too extreme. what's good about watching our the back 4 passing it about for a minute amongst themselves until they put themselves under pressure or watching our players stand off and let opponents attack at will while the oppostion are going in full blooded for the ball?

if solid, pragamatic football was good enough for faddy, pearson, clarky, mcdonald and quinn to get big moves and very rich i can't see it harming any of our current batch.

We all knew the state of the team in pre-season when we bought our season tickets.

How can this not be a learning experience for all the young players? Of course it is. They have to learn to get used to playing the way the new boss wants them, and get used to playing against the calibre of player they will be up against and in the environment rather than other young guys and reserve players who don't give a shit infront of 2 guys and a dug up at Shotts every other week.

If you want to watch solid, pragmatic, knock the ball over the top for the stirkers to chase football, then go to Inverness to see Butcher's team do it again or head up the King George Park on a Saturday afternoon and watch teams both try it against each other.

After a while Jim will get his ideas across and after getting enough games under their belt and enough games playing in this system I'm certain that it will all click into place for these young guys, and it will only get better from there.

Even under Butcher's 'solid, pragmatic' approach with a young team we went through long spells without a win then long spells undefeated. It's bound to happen with a team filled with as many young guys as our, no matter what type of football you are trying to play.

It's been clearly stated that it's for the long term benefit of the football club - so there will be obvious shortcoming in the short term. We were in the shit as a club in July as basically we didn't have a team. We could quite plainly put have had ten guys who would have turned us into Airdrie by pulling in a bunch of journeymen on the cheap or we could have had one of very few people come in and get an exceptional level of performance out of young inexperienced players.

if you don't want to wait or you don't think it's worth full price then you can quite simply vote with your feet.

if you want to see this club stick around for the long term - then maybe it's worth thinking about getting behind what's going on now.

I for one don't think I'm being short changed.

C'mon The Well!

One thing I wonder about often is just how many of our fans would stick by us if the unthinkable happened and we did go down. Going by the reactions over the recent history when we've actually been doing fairly well all things considered there would be very few of us.

What was that term Fritz likes so much, Pantwetters was it? Indeed so. getting all het up about nothing very much. Need to learn to enjoy the ride cos the only thing guaranteed is that it will full of ups and downs. Some of you are likely gonnae suffer high blood pressure in a few years if you keep going the way you're going.

Yep, Forfar Away, Brechin at Home would definitely sort the wheat from the chaff! Great days though - as many will testify - and if it happened again I'd still be there.

The team we have just now would take 15 off the last Motherwell team to be relegated - although it must be said that wee McLean did a great job in turning that round.

The way things went financially in the summer we probably guaranteed safety for a couple of seasons. if we sell Reynolds for a decent fee in the near future that will be another boost - then its back to the conveyer belt.

Ye Old bastards are probably right but don't tar us all with the spoiled brush. Many of us who have only seen Motherwell in the top league would still travel home and away (when they could) to watch Motherwell play, be it against an SPL club or an SFL Club - in fact I would probably get to more games due to finances ;)

Saying that, going by the Malpas season our gates would be around 2000 - at the most - with the amount of "OMFG, this is shit, I'm never going back, never buying a season ticket again!!!11111oneoneoneone" posts that appeared on here :lol:

Ye Old bastards are probably right but don't tar us all with the spoiled brush. Many of us who have only seen Motherwell in the top league would still travel home and away (when they could) to watch Motherwell play, be it against an SPL club or an SFL Club - in fact I would probably get to more games due to finances ;)

Saying that, going by the Malpas season our gates would be around 2000 - at the most - with the amount of "OMFG, this is shit, I'm never going back, never buying a season ticket again!!!11111oneoneoneone" posts that appeared on here :lol:

I'm sure your right Wellfan1984 - and I'd like to think that the Playstation / SkySports / OPTA Stat / Strictly Come dancing brigade will be with us once the penny eventually drops.

Thing is there's shit and there's shit. The stuff of the Malpas era was slightly different as we had players (barring only a few) and a management team that didn't quite grasp the enormity of the situation and looked as if they quite simply didn't give a damn whether we were in the SPL or not. That performance up at East End park that threw us back in the mix was probably one of the most enfuriating unmotivated performances I can ever remember. And every time I looked over at the dug-out Malpas and hegarty were sitting on their with their faces tripping them. it wasn't until the St Mirren game that we showed any fight and determination. I was seriously thinking of storming the dugout at Dunfermline that night and shaking the wee prick by the throat.

The team that Butcher put out is probably more along the lines of what people are looking for at the moment - a bit of blood and thunder. They had great heart - but were on the end of some dull beatings and were naive beyond belief. Great to watch though and even though we should have gone down I think they still had the broad support of the fan base.

What we have now is better than all of that.

If we did go down, a lot of people would be surprised at how large our support would be especially the away support. The fans that relegation would entice BACK would be interesting, as I said, our away supports would be fucking huge and be much bigger than what we currently take in the SPL. Relegation wouldn't be all bad, it would certainly re-ignite the spark for Motherwell that the SPL has long since put out.