Woods On Ruddy

numpty

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...or-England.html

CHRIS WOODS sees real potential in John Ruddy - the potential to make it at Everton.

His boss Davie Moyes has gone further - he reckons the 23-year-old is an England keeper in the making.

Ruddy has been outstanding on loan at Motherwell from the Toffees this season. In fact, probably only Rangers star Allan McGregor would rival him for the golden gloves title.

And former Gers No1 Woods - goalie coach at Goodison - said: "We are well aware of how well John is doing because we have him watched in all the games.

"Of course he has still got the chance to make the grade at Everton.

"When you bring in someone as young as he was when he came to Everton, you need to see the potential.

"We looked at what we had to work with and we knew it wasn't just going to happen overnight.

"It is a question of a lot of hard work and taking chances. We are all impressed with him so far.

"He has got everything you need to be a top goalkeeper and he has already had the experience of playing for the England Under-19s.

"John has a great build which gives him a presence between the posts. "He also reads the game well and that is something that comes with experience.

"Now he simply needs to keep producing the performances."

Moyes added: "We think John has got terrific potential. We have seen things in him that we think could make him one of the top keepers.

"He has got a lot of work to do but we hope he will continue to progress. We are hopeful we will have a future England goalkeeper."

Ruddy joined Everton in 2005 from Cambridge and has been loaned out to eight clubs.

But Woods insists the moves have been vital. He said: "John is getting a lot of experience with Motherwell and I think now it is beginning to show through.

"Going to Scotland was all about him getting a regular game because this is what he needs at his stage of his career. The SPL is a good level to be at."

Woods will watch Ruddy against Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday, December 30.

But he admitted he doesn't know what will happen with the player when his loan deal runs out on January 1.

Well will want Ruddy to stay but Woods added: "That is something which will have to be discussed when it comes about.

"I have worked with John for over three years now and I know he is enjoying things at Motherwell."

Hopefully Everton will show their appreciation for the experience he's getting by extending the loan deal until the end of the season because he'll be a huge loss. There have been a lot of games where he has won us points by making saves which have been beyond that expected of a goalkeeper.

On the downside, if Moyes thinks he's a future international we have no chance of signing him long term although I assume wages would have prevented that anyway.

but why does Moyes think he is a future internationalist ?

Because he has had a run of first team football for us, where he has played well, that has benefitted John and Everton.

As for the fee thing, surely it would have been dependant on whether he played as well as he has and made his way back into the plans of everton ( thus taking it way beyond our price).

But if Moyes aint gonna drop his first choice keeper then surely another 6 months with us would benefit both clubs even more.

Imo It makes it a better chance of us keeping john till summer and for other gaffers to be prepared for jim Gannon to take their youngsters to improve them( like Lucas has).

So all in all it could be a win win situation for us

Bit strange if there's the agreed price in place.

The agreed fee of £250,000?

Since we were never ever, ever, ever, ever, not even in our wildest dreams, ever going to be able to afford the agreed fee it was pretty much irrelevant anyway.

If anyone ever thought we had £250,000 to spend on a transfer well I applaud you on your optimism!

The best we can hope for is the loan is extended to the end of the season, then it will be cheerio big man.

Actually you could find that Motherwell could easily pay £250K for a player. Just up to Boyle if he wants too. Doubt he does though.

You think? The days of Boyle putting in his own money are gone. We have a total income of about 4 million, we have a club to run and about 80 staff to pay with that money. We are not going to spend £250,000 + plus wages + signing on fees etc, probably bringing it up closer to £400,000 than £200,000.

That would be close to an 1/10th of the entire income of the club on one player - fantasy stuff.

Well, Reynolds has made noises about leaving in the next transfer window or two, as he doesn't want his contract to run out and wants some money to go back into the club for him.

I doubt Rangers can afford him anymore, would Championship club be interested?

Who knows.

You think? The days of Boyle putting in his own money are gone. We have a total income of about 4 million, we have a club to run and about 80 staff to pay with that money. We are not going to spend £250,000 + plus wages + signing on fees etc, probably bringing it up closer to £400,000 than £200,000.

That would be close to an 1/10th of the entire income of the club on one player - fantasy stuff.

Yes BUT if we did sign him and he kept up his form then we should get a fairly decent transfer fee in the near future. Get him signed!! £250k is a bargin

bob malcolm cost the best part of £300k over 18 months with zero prospect of any return.

we should be in a good financial position with the money from quinn, clarky, mcghee and the euro run totalling £1.5 million and the big reduction in the wage bill. i'd say the biggest stumbling block would be his wages compared to the rest of the squad.

I think a lot of things are up in the air depending on opinion and the way things unfold, with regards to what level John Ruddy will eventually play. Will he cut it at Everton? Would he make it at another Premiership Club? Who knows...it all depends on lots of factors. What I do think is as good as guaranteed though, is that at 250k we would most definately make a profit (and a relatively substantial one) on him eventually...wherever and whenever he ends up going, not to mention the benefits of having his services in the meantime. Seems to me like one of the most open and shut cases of "speculate to accumulate" you could have.

Of course this is all bearing in mind that the figure of 250k is unconfirmed, and fairly speculative. Just my take on the situation as we have it.

What I do think is as good as guaranteed though, is that at 250k we would most definately make a profit (and a relatively substantial one) on him eventually...wherever and whenever he ends up going, not to mention the benefits of having his services in the meantime.

Seems to me like the sort of player that would pay back that initial investment not just in a sell-on profit but in league position. I mentioned speculate to accumulate earlier and I really hope Boyle bites the bullet on this one and gets us Ruddy as a nice wee Xmas prezzie.

From the squad profiles on Evertons fishal site he seems to be 4th choice at goodison

"John joined Everton in the summer of 2005, for a fee of £250,000.

He had impressed at his previous club, Cambridge United, making 39 appearances in League 2 despite being only 18 when he made his professional debut.

He joined an impressive goalkeeping ranks at Everton, that included England internationals Nigel Martyn and Richard Wright.

He soon went out on loan to then-League 1 outfit Walsall and also completed a spell at Chester that same season.

Ruddy returned to Everton and made his debut in the February in unusual circumstances.

Third choice keeper Iain Turner started the game against Blackburn, deputising for the injured Richard Wright and Nigel Martyn.

Turner was dismissed after just eight minutes for deliberate handball and Ruddy was thrust into the fray.

He managed to keep a clean sheet in a 1-0 Everton victory.

At the start of the 2006/07 season Ruddy enjoyed a successful loan spell at Stockport County and also made appearances for Wrexham and Bristol City, picking up vital experience along the way.

In the 2007/08 season, the youngster was an unused sub in the Premier League on a number of occasions when Tim Howard and Iain Turner were injured.

He then got the chance to return to Stockport on loan and won the League Two player of the month award for March - keeping five clean sheets in six games."