Easily Offended, Offended Again

wee g

As always there are two sides to every story. Quite right to point out the hypocrisy of those Celtic fans who are offended by some of the things they hear whilst simultaneously singing the praises of an organisation that did some heinous things. However - and I don't know whether this was sung at the game at Fir Park - but the chant about "the famine is over, why don't you fo home" is disgusting. Anyone who has read anything about the tragedy that was the Irish potato famine and who has an ounce of humanity, wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing. Maybe it's all tit for tat nonsense, but I can't understand the mentality of people who take that rubbish into a football match - on any side.

As always there are two sides to every story. Quite right to point out the hypocrisy of those Celtic fans who are offended by some of the things they here whilst simultaneously singing the praises of an organisation that did some heinous things. However - and I don't know whether this was sung at the game at Fir Park - but the chant about "the famine is over, why don't you fo home" is disgusting. Anyone who has read anything about the tragedy that was the Irish potato famine and who has an ounce of humanity, wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing. Maybe it's all tit for tat nonsense, but I can't understand the mentality of people who take that rubbish into a football match - on any side.

Aye my ancestors came over here because of the potato famine. So should I go home? :notworthy:

As always there are two sides to every story. Quite right to point out the hypocrisy of those Celtic fans who are offended by some of the things they here whilst simultaneously singing the praises of an organisation that did some heinous things. However - and I don't know whether this was sung at the game at Fir Park - but the chant about "the famine is over, why don't you fo home" is disgusting. Anyone who has read anything about the tragedy that was the Irish potato famine and who has an ounce of humanity, wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing. Maybe it's all tit for tat nonsense, but I can't understand the mentality of people who take that rubbish into a football match - on any side.

What was sung was "Aiden McGeady, fuck off and go home" which is fair game if you ask me.

That's the nature of the beast, opposing players are fair game for heckling, which in squinty-puss's case usually puts him off his game :notworthy: Previous favourites such as Joe Harper, Gordon Strachan (while playing), Craig Levein, Wayne Foster, Walter Kidd, Shitey Galloway, Charlie Nicolas, and many more suffered much worse than McGeady FFS

However, what Motherwell's travelling support does not do is belt out sectarian bile at every opportunity. That cannot be said of the Filtheez now, can it ?

Let them fekkin moan, illiterate peasants cannot even spell :P

Edit .... OOOps sorry, this should have been in the McGeady thread. Could a very nice Mod move it please ?

I also red in a paper we were singing the potato song never heard it, why are they allowed to sing IRA songs and happy when scottish solders are killed

That was in saturdays record. In the "Everybody gangs up on me" puff piece with Aiden McGeady.

How they get away with printing bollocks like that I don't know. We did sing a song to the same tune, with some of the same words, but so did Celtic fans (I think the aiden mcgeady, why don't you go home chants were in response).

but the chant about "the famine is over, why don't you fo home" is disgusting. Anyone who has read anything about the tragedy that was the Irish potato famine and who has an ounce of humanity, wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing. Maybe it's all tit for tat nonsense, but I can't understand the mentality of people who take that rubbish into a football match - on any side.

I hate the old firm as much as the next man, but I totally disagree with that, and think that you are misreading the reason behind that little ditty by le h*n.

I take it that it is a direct retaliation to their friends constant yearning for Ireland, particularly the 'this land is our land, blah blah...free derry' shit that they spout out at every game! The h**s are basically telling them to fuck off back to this Ireland that they miss so much then. I dont think the song is glorifying the deaths during the famine as such. However, I am not constantly looking to take offence at things, and the h**s are not the nicest bunch you'll meet, but I do think that that song has been blown massively out of proportion.

I hate the old firm as much as the next man, but I totally disagree with that, and think that you are misreading the reason behind that little ditty by le h*n.

I take it that it is a direct retaliation to their friends constant yearning for Ireland, particularly the 'this land is our land, blah blah...free derry' shit that they spout out at every game! The h**s are basically telling them to fuck off back to this Ireland that they miss so much then. I dont think the song is glorifying the deaths during the famine as such. However, I am not constantly looking to take offence at things, and the h**s are not the nicest bunch you'll meet, but I do think that that song has been blown massively out of proportion.

Fair enough, but what are all their songs about - King Billy's On The Wall, Father's Advice, The Sash, Build My Gallows etc etc etc ? Ireland of course. Are they going home too ? They don't seem to get the irony.

Fair enough, but what are all their songs about - King Billy's On The Wall, Father's Advice, The Sash, Build My Gallows etc etc etc ? Ireland of course. Are they going home too ? They don't seem to get the irony.

Yeah, but they are not the songs I talked about.

Please don't misinterpret my post to be defending the h**s in general. It started and stopped at the song in question.

Edit --> The team that you support also sing a version of their most famous song.

Yeah, but they are not the songs I talked about.

Please don't misinterpret my post to be defending the h**s in general. It started and stopped at the song in question.

Edit --> The team that you support also sing a version of their most famous song.

Same tune, hardly the same lyrics. Matt Busby wasn't a Billy Boy B-)

I didn't think you were defending some of what goes in within the Old Firm songbook. But talk of 'going home' is a bit odd when both seem equally as obsessed with Ireland. You'd think at least one of them might give Scotland the odd mention.

As always there are two sides to every story. Quite right to point out the hypocrisy of those Celtic fans who are offended by some of the things they hear whilst simultaneously singing the praises of an organisation that did some heinous things. However - and I don't know whether this was sung at the game at Fir Park - but the chant about "the famine is over, why don't you fo home" is disgusting. Anyone who has read anything about the tragedy that was the Irish potato famine and who has an ounce of humanity, wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing. Maybe it's all tit for tat nonsense, but I can't understand the mentality of people who take that rubbish into a football match - on any side.

OH NO our resident tim is gettin offended again :lol:

OH NO our resident tim is gettin offended again :P

:P

A Mancunian posting on a Motherwell board can hardly be described as a resident tim. Perhaps it's a manifestation of my sassenach sensibilities but I'm not used to the casual sectariansim that is so ingrained within Scotland's central belt. I haven't lived with it and from the outside it seems shocking. Songs about Irish paramilataries and/or the the religion of others at football is something I struggle to understand. It all seems so parochial and narrow-minded.

Im sure i speak for most Scottish folk when i say that the REAL Irish are decent people it's the feckin KID ON Irish like Aiden McTraitor that get on our wick. The Smeltic fans make me laugh it's not even Irish flags they wave it's a fake Green White and GOLD! They're fake too. End of rant. :lol: