Best Motherwell Xi Of The Naughties...

Frazzie

Inspired by the thread on general football, I thought I'd start up a Motherwell-based one. There's probably loads of players I can't think of, but here goes...

Ruddy

Corrigan

Teale

Craigan

Paterson

Elliott

Lasley

Valakari

McFadden

Porter

Clarkson

That was actually really difficult, and was hard not to have a completely top-heavy team as you obviously remember the strikers more fondly than you remember the defenders. I've consciously left out a few good players there, but there it is anyway.

Thoughts and opinions?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love simo but he only played 19 games in 2000 then left, i'd say leitch with near enough 150 did far more. i also never knew that leitchy's name is really donald and not scott until i was having a glance round soccerbase just now.

my team.

smith

corrigan craigan reynolds hammell

hughes lasley pearson

mccormack mcdonald mcfadden

This is pretty tough to be honest. No doubt I will have forgotten about a few players.

Going to stick with the basic 4-4-2.

Ruddy

Corrigan Craigan Reynolds Paterson

McCormack Leitch Pearson McFadden

McDonald Porter

To be honest I struggled quite a bit for a centre half to go along with Craigan. Went for Reynolds as to be honest it was a toss up between him and Partridge as we aint really been too blessed with good defenders. Opted out for Teale as I dont think he played for us in the 00's but could be wrong.

Come to think of it, I don't think Teale did play for us in the 00's. He fell out with Boyle and played his last game late '99. (Thus costing us Europe in my opinion!) Don't know who I would play in his place then. Partridge? Craigan? Tony Vaughan?!?! Sengewald? Strong? Kinniburgh? Denham?

teale played his last game for motherwell in december 99. i can't remember all the details but he had a bust up with davies after we got a pummelling off rangers.

suprised to see brannan remembered so fondly, my recollections of the end of his time at fir park was that he only turned up when the tv cameras were there and that he fucked us about big time with that cayman islands debacle.

i hope all the threads on the site are being archived somewhere, it'd be a good resource to have when we're doing this again in ten years time to look back at what people were saying at the time and what opinions have changed over the years.

Gk - Ruddy

Rb - Corrigan

Lb - Paterson

Cb - Partridge

Cb - Craigan

LW - McCormack

RW - Foran

CM - Pearson

CM - Leitch

ST - McFadden

ST - McDonald

A very attacking midfield i've chosen. We've had a lot of good attacking players in the last decade with McFadden,Porter,McCormack,McDonald and Clarkson the ones which stick out. Pity about the defence though looking at the motherwellnet website at the squads over the last ten years we have never had a solid defence in my opinion.

GK - Marshall (I'm not picking Ruddy due to the fact that 6 months out of 10 years isn't enough for me)

LB - Hammell (pretty much been our left back in the noughties)

CB - Partridge

CB - Craigan

RB - Kaiser - no brainer that one.

Anywhere - Faddy

CM - Leitch

CM - Hughes

FW - Clarkson (7 out of 10 years isn't bad)

FW - McDonald

FW - Porter

Bench

Rosscoe, G.Smith, Quinn, Stepover, Foran,

Manager - Butcher, for admin and the cup runs.

...................Smith

Corrigan Craigan Delomeaux Hammell

..A. McCormack Brannan Pearson

.....McDonald Porter McFadden

Ross McCormack, Elliott and Lasley all unlucky to miss out on my selection. Clarkson & Quinn would probably make the bench.

Fingers crossed Ruddy is mentioned in a decade's time but 4 months work at present doesn't merit a starting berth.

........................Smith........................

..Corrigan...Craigan...Partridge...Hammell..

McCormack...Leitch...O'Donnell...Pearson

..............McFadden...........................

............................Porter..................

GK - Ruddy

RB - Quinn (I know I'll get pelters for that, but I thought he was great, and I never really rated Corrigan)

LB - Hammell

CB - Craigan (was tempted to go for Hutchinson instead)

CB - Partridge

LW - Pearson

CM - Leitch

CM - Uncle Phil

RW - McCormack

ST - Porter

ST - Faddy

Anybody who picks Clarskon needs sectioned. In my opinion.

------------------- Ruddy ------------------

Kaiser ----- Craigan ----- Kemble ------ Paterson

------------------ Leitch --------------------

--------- O'Donnell ------ Pearson ------------

-----------------McFadden ------------------

----------- Porter ------- McDonald -----------

Difficult decision to be honet. Main problems where Goalkeeper and CH. Picked Kemble as he was the only player I saw in Scottish football who could keep Larsson quiet. Went for Ruddy as I detested Gordon Marshall as a keeper, made great saves against teams like Dunfermline etc when it didnt matter but was a bottle merchant in the bigger games. Smith was awesome in his first season then went down hill and his in ability at Cross balls lets him down drastically.

Special mention to Alan McCormack the 1 season wonder at FP, Davie Clarkson also. There must be numerous players I have missed.

GK - Ruddy

RB - Quinn (I know I'll get pelters for that, but I thought he was great, and I never really rated Corrigan)

LB - Hammell

CB - Craigan (was tempted to go for Hutchinson instead)

CB - Partridge

LW - Pearson

CM - Leitch

CM - Uncle Phil

RW - McCormack

ST - Porter

ST - Faddy

Anybody who picks Clarskon needs sectioned. In my opinion.

Got to be one of the down right craziest posts I have ever saw in my life. If anyone needs sectioned its got to be you my friend.

Not including this seasons team...

--------------------Marshall

Corrigan - Reynolds - Craigan - Hammell

McCormack - Leitch - O'Donnell - Pearson

------------McFadden - McDonald

Subs - Dubo, Quinn, Partridge, Lasley, Kerr, Clarkson, Porter

You have 4 players from this seasons team in your squad! :lol:

Same team but with Partridge instead of Reynolds in starting XI.

GK - Ruddy

RB - Kaiser

CB - Craigan (from two seasons-ish ago)

CB - Reynolds (ditto)

LB - Hammell

LM - Faddy

CM - A McCormack

CM - Vadocz

RM - R McCormack

CF -Porter

CF - Skippy

Fluid kinda 4-4-2, 4-2-4. Went for Alan McC instead of Keef in the middle, owing to him having a wee bit more attacking drive and edge. Both would've been fine partners for big Krisztian in the middle, sadly don't think it ever came to pass.