Best Motherwell Xi Of The Naughties...

Frazzie

Cany believe Ruddy is getting into some of your teams on the basis of 18 games.

I was of the same opinion as you. I was stuck between the number of games or just who was the better player. I think in the last decade although he has come late in the decade Ruddy is still the best keeper we have had. So i thought pick the best team we have had irrespectice of games played. Ruddy has to be in the team, no?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see past Smith for the best keeper of this decade. Failing him, I'd have Marshall. No doubt Ruddy is good, but 18 games just isn't enough to be the best of the decade.

You're right though I think everyone chooses there team in for different reasons. I chose my team on ability rather than games so between Smith Marshall and Ruddy the best keeper is undoubtedly Ruddy though I definatley see your point.

Andy Goram

Shaun Hutchinson, Stephen Craigan, Mark Reynolds, Steven Hammell

Phil O'Donnell, Scott Leitch

DavidClarkson, RossMcCormack

Chris Porter, Scott McDonald

Manager Terry Butcher

Subs

John Ruddy

Paul Quinn

James McFadden

Keith Lasley

John Sutton

Cany believe Ruddy is getting into some of your teams on the basis of 18 games.

Especially this week!

The Vadocz thing as well....seriously....the guy hardly kicked a ball for us. The period that Vadocz came to the club we miraculously got even worse than before. Yeah, great player!

My Team of the Noughties

GK - Gordon Marshall - Went downhill fast but had an excellent season and a half and gave probably the best single goalkeeping display I've seen in a 'Well shirt in the League Cup semi final.

RB - Martyn Corrigan - No contest.

DC - Stephen Craigan - Most capped international player in the clubs history and a great 'Well man. This first season back from Thistle he was outstanding, as good as anyone even the hallowed Martin/Krivokapic/Boyd etc

DC - Eric Deloumeaux - Only at the club for a season but he was quality. For all those who go on about defenders needing to be giants he was 5' 9!

LB - Stevie Hammell - He is taken for granted by some but that only proves how important he was to us this decade, it's hard to imagine a Motherwell without him.

RW - James McFadden - My favourite Motherwell player ever. A genius, a god among men and every goal he scored was brilliance. Every one of them. Well, about 93% of them.

MC - Scott Leitch - A fan and he played like it. I mean that in a good way!

MC - Phil O'Donnell - Every highlight of my time supporting Motherwell O'Donnell was there, the Scottish Cup, the great mid ninties side, the League cup run, the brilliant football of McGhee's early reign. A legend.

LW - Ross McCormack - I'll always remember his displays against Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United as among the best displays I've ever seen in a 'Well shirt. We destroyed teams like I'd never seen before, and possibly will never see again.

AC - Scott McDonald - After Tommy Coyne probably the best striker we've had at the club in my time. Not very popular these days but just think to THAT day...

AC - David Clarkson - Tough choice between Clarkson and Porter but I think Clarkson offered a bit more versatility. Also scored 50+ goals for Motherwell which is not to be sneezed at.

Ruddy

Smith was a classy shot stopper and had great presence when on form, but was suspect at cross balls and simply hopeless at kicking, which is unforgivable in a modern keeper. If he was asked to deal with Gannon style passing across defence we'd be bottom of league. Marshall was so so and passed his best. Goram - you have got to be joking - a fat liability who'd get injured bearing his own weight.

Ruddy looks like the best all rounder we've had over period IMHO and will probably reach a higher level than any of the others bar Goram in prime.

Corrigan Deloumeaux Craigan McMillan

Corrigan on form was best defender of Well decade so no worries there (Quinn - haha). The problem is Craigan - obvious quality in tackle, positioning and in the air, accompanied by howler moments and second division levels of distribution/comfort on ball - why we've managed to keep hold of him despite great qualities. Needs class beside him, I've gone for Deloumeaux who was happy with ball and never put a foot wrong for Well in my memory, albeit he never did much after leaving us. If I was to swap in Reynolds and hope for his better form it would be for Craigan.

I like Hammell but he's another with an unbalanced game, McMillan was quicker and better for team overall. Never got the affection for Patterson he went from mince to alright then left.

Leitch Hughes O'Donnell

Surprised by the absence of Leitch and Hughes in most teams. For me the first season McGhee team, particularly with O'Donnell, was easily best of decade and would tear any other Well team of era apart. Key elements were Hughes on form and given space, and McCormack's versatility and class. Stick Leitch in there to enforce and give anyone else the ball, we have not had anyone else as tough and steady.

Mcfadden McDonald R. McCormack

McFadden because he is genius. McDonald best touch and finish by mile. McCormack had intellect and ability to interchange with other strikers and could cross as well as shoot. His performance at Easter Road was best of decade' including Faddy, total class when on form. Sorry Clarky/Porter, not quite holding a place in this company. Could swop in Spenser for MacDonald in an arsehole for arsehole subby. Really, Pearson, for what?

<_<