Game Off

studos

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that is nowhere near good enough. Having a playable pitch should ensure we have a game, and exactly how badly have the pipes burst that we need to postpone the game over 24 hours before the scheduled kick off time?

Huge disappointment.

Yeah nothing on our site yet. Sky Sports News site has this however:

Motherwell's Scottish Premier League clash with Hamilton at Fir Park on Saturday has fallen foul of the sub-zero temperatures.

While the pitch was playable, the surrounding roads and pavements remain covered in ice and the game cannot go ahead due to concerns over the safety of supporters.

So is it SSN that have their information wrong?

EDIT: Totally gutted as well, was really looking forward to this!

On the Accies site now.

Pitch is fine but two stands are out of action.

Knock the place down!

guess it depends whit stands are out of action but could easily fit every home fan in the south and every away fan in the cooper. Assuming those two being the newer ones are less likely to be the affected ones but either way it very poor.

Sorry it was late on - computer problems too! :thumbup:

Match Postponed| Print | E-mailFriday, 01 January 2010

Motherwell P – P Hamilton

Tomorrow’s Lanarkshire derby between Motherwell and Hamilton Accies has been postponed to due to safety concerns at Fir Park.

Recent freezing temperatures have caused havoc with the water piping system particularly in the East and South Stands and whilst preparing the stadium for tomorrow’s match, several burst pipes have caused hazardous conditions inside the ground. Furthermore there are no useable welfare or catering facilities within either stand.

Despite clearing the car parks and surrounding areas of the ground in preparation for last Saturday’s match, recent snow flurries combined with overnight freezing conditions have compounded the issues.

In light of the predicted continued freezing conditions, in consultation with both the SPL and the Strathclyde Police the decision has been taken today to postpone the match.

No date has yet been confirmed for the re-arranged fixture.

It is not the fault of the people who are employed by the club as it seems they have obviously tried their best but the stadium is in a rotten state.

We must look at plans to move to a purpose built stadia.

Didn't take long for the old move away fae Fir Park bandwagon to start rolling :thumbup:

:thumbup: We canny afford to buy any of the loan players if the rumours are to be believed what chance have we of affording a new stadium, get real. In the current climate Mr Boyle has the biscuit tin well and truly welded shut and who can blame him, only a nutter would finance a stadium when the banks and economy are still in chaos.

Disappointed with this but the club really have their hands tied.

Leeann Dempster phoned me to brief me on the reasons behind it and from what she's said, I think she's made the right call.

The East has always had problems with burst pipes for as long as I can remember, but didn't think the South was prone to many problems. The biggest problem is that Football Stadiums don't have central heating, so as soon as you try and turn the pipes on, you burst them in this weather.

She said that if we were playing someone like St Johnstone where the crowd would be forecast to be circa 4,000, the game could probably have went ahead with 2 stands as the Cooper and Main would be big enough. The fact it's a new year derby means that the numbers are harder to predict.

The groundstaff have been in for the last two days, giving up their New Year celebrations and have investigated every avenue, like taking temporary measures to get the top of the south open for some fans at least, but all have failed.

No sorry not buying into this crap Ive been working outside all week in these so called hazardous conditions as have many others .Cancelling looks like an easy option, i could be out of order hear not being privy to all the facts but come on Motherwell .

Nay bogs jim! No water for bovril and catering staff to wash their hands. Ice on the stand doesn't get any sunlight to thaw it.

Leeann said there would be no realistic chance of improvement between now and tomorrow so better to make the decision today.

Easy option? The club will loose a fortune not getting the game on so far from it. The easy option would be to bury the head in the sand and delude us that there would a chance of iy going ahead.

Nay bogs jim! No water for bovril and catering staff to wash their hands. Ice on the stand doesn't get any sunlight to thaw it.

Leeann said there would be no realistic chance of improvement between now and tomorrow so better to make the decision today.

Easy option? The club will loose a fortune not getting the game on so far from it. The easy option would be to bury the head in the sand and delude us that there would a chance of it going ahead.

As I said joe i might be out of order not knowing all the facts, I can put my hands up when i get it wrong and say sorry unlike some who still pig headily believe McGarry and O'Brien are football players. :whistling: