"stories Coming Out Of Fir Park"

Steve Diggle

Right first off this a genuine question and in no way a fishing trip.

In a lot of what I've read or heard in the press and on here about Gannon's departure - the recurring theme is that according to 'good football people' within the sieve that is Fir Park that the man was an absolute nightmare. I've heard / read Billy Dodds, Craig Paterson, Tam Cowan various columists, various posters on here all say the same thing. The players are obviously glad and their risky Facebook stuff shows that to be true and a couple that I thought had improved under Gannon have openly stated their pleasure at him going (JOB and Reynolds for instance)

However we're running an SPL club and trying to break out of the shackles a wee bit - we're no' a Poker School so what exactly is it that was so objectionable. I'm OK with things being turned on their head and players being made to work hard at different approaches - but apparently

things under Gannon went too far.

I was OK with his rant at the refs - nothings changed there and we continue to see glaring inconsistences - us at Tyncastle and the OF at Parkhead today bear that out. Many didn't like that and again Tam Cowan had a go in his column.

Senior players being disrespected? I was OK with them being dropped in preference for a long term strategy of building a young side. I'd have Reynolds, Hutch, Saunders, Hateley, Coke, Forbes any day in preference to Craigan and McGarry. But how far did this go to on a daily basis.

I've said in other threads that the situation with the contract is unacceptable 'all round'. Very close to his appointment the Motherwell chairman, our legal team, Gannon, and Gannon's representative should have been locked in a meeting room and a deal should have been thrashed out. If an impasse was reached then Gannon should have walked. However that should have been driven by John Boyle and that should have been no later than August / Early September.

Obviously I don't have the info that's been leaked out and I'm genuinely interested - so what actually happened?

I think, like in most things the truth will be somewhere in the middle and hope Gannon eventually has his say.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd rather not know.

What good would gannons side of things have on the impact of our season.

Granted there's two sides to tell granted we all have opinions on who was right and who was wrong!

Personally as much as I wanted gannon to succeed I'm now bored of all of this and simply want to move forward and. Continue what I feel is a decent start to the season and really do hope we can build on our current six place position!

I don't know anything about facebook or the likes but like anything it is up to the forum members to decide if they should believe other posters.... or not

Busta said Yass was shite in the way he was used

others said Gannon was disruptive and was whoring himself

shame as it is, both were true

No really that much in the way of specifics coming through.

Maybe PM Decorator, mate? He points out that he posted the McGarry thing a few days before it officially blew in public and he's now mentioned something about a deal being done with the old ground.

Otherwise, I wouldn't expect much to turn up here.

There's always two sides to each story, though. As I mentioned before/elsewhere, Brown's and Ward's responses (of Gannon departing) were of surprise and now Reynold's has cemented this on the fishal site today. 

Short of any of us being Dr Who, we need to look forward; not back.

I thought Gannon had the right idea/said the right things [delete as appropriate], though he's gone and we've got Jack and Victor now. They'll get my full support as long as they are in charge.

Moan the Well. :(

SD 

Yeah, thanks SD - I seen some of the the facebook stuff from McGarry and JOB posted elsewhere - not all that proffessional I don't think, but hey they're due a personal life.

Like I said elsewhere - no matter what Gannon has or hasn't done - I dont think anyone comes out of this not smelling of shite, the players included and some more than others I suspect.

I'll support the new guys as well although I'm still to be convinced it's the right move if I'm being 100% honest.

Buzzcocks' guitarist & (sometime vocalist),

I'm sure our views are closely aligned here (and maybe elsewhere?) regarding this. 

With what you know/believe, would it be fair to say that there are certain senior players who have been 'let off the hook' regarding Gannon's departure? Or is that taking things too far?

I would never have posted my poll on the captaincy if I had genuinely believed that Craigan was up for the job as of December 2009. Yet, the vote suggests that the masses think otherwise..... People were shocked when Gerrard replaced Hypia as Liverpool captain at the time. The fact was why have a 'club captain' who doesn't always merit a place in the starting sixteen/eighteen..... :mellow:

I see similarities here, though it looks like I'm in a minority.....

SD

While I reckon that Gannon had to go, I think some of the players need to show a bit of common sense. There was quite a high profile local news story of people getting their jotters where I work because of comments about senior staff on facebook/bebo.

Could be why McGarry was let go quite so easily. That and the lack of fitness obviously...

Buzzcocks' guitarist & (sometime vocalist),

I'm sure our views are closely aligned here (and maybe elsewhere?) regarding this.

With what you know/believe, would it be fair to say that there are certain senior players who have been 'let off the hook' regarding Gannon's departure? Or is that taking things too far?

I would never have posted my poll on the captaincy if I had genuinely believed that Craigan was up for the job as of December 2009. Yet, the vote suggests that the masses think otherwise..... People were shocked when Gerrard replaced Hypia as Liverpool captain at the time. The fact was why have a 'club captain' who doesn't always merit a place in the starting sixteen/eighteen..... :mellow:

I see similarities here, though it looks like I'm in a minority.....

SD

Yeah, that about sums it up.

For me - the reasons for Gannon going reflect as badly on others as the do on the man himself.

While I reckon that Gannon had to go, I think some of the players need to show a bit of common sense. There was quite a high profile local news story of people getting their jotters where I work because of comments about senior staff on facebook/bebo.

Could be why McGarry was let go quite so easily. That and the lack of fitness obviously...

I'm thinking there was maybe more of a Paul le Guen / Barry Ferguson situation happening (allegedly, of course).

While McGarry can be excused (a bit) as we've known for a time that he's been off. Jim O'Brien's stuff exposed himself a bit.

No really that much in the way of specifics coming through.

Did you really think there would be though SD?

If someone had told me something in confidence then I certainly wouldn't make it public on a messageboard far less reveal the source of it.

Surely the obvious outcome of that is, aside from potentially causing the originator of that info a fair bit of grief, that you'll not be trusted to be told anything again in the future.

As the Brazilian says above all you can really do is make your own mind up from the official line and the whispers and chat that has come from other sources.

As for Gannon's side? I'd actually be a wee bit surprised if we do hear something from him, certainly in the short term. What benefit would it really do him to for public slanging of the Boyle and MFC? A rant at MFC is only likely to put off any prospective employers and back up Motherwell's claim that relations with him were difficult.

Its not going to help him get compensation either is it? According to a post quoting his website he had apparently been advised legally not to respond to emails suggesting he didn't believe the matter was finished despite one report last week having a "source" saying MFC believed no compensation was necessary. Again whatever the case is there a public response from Gannon could only prejudice his attempts in getting compo.

I remember Billy Davies making it clear the story of his time at Motherwell would come out but how many years down the line are we know and that promised story hasn't appeared as yet - I suspect it'll be a chapter or two in his memoirs a couple of decades after the event now - but I'm sure he came to the conclusion that it probably just wasn't the hassle it could cause to "get even" and I suspect Gannon will come to a similar conclusion.

Personally I'd rather not know.

What good would gannons side of things have on the impact of our season.

Granted there's two sides to tell granted we all have opinions on who was right and who was wrong!

Personally as much as I wanted gannon to succeed I'm now bored of all of this and simply want to move forward and. Continue what I feel is a decent start to the season and really do hope we can build on our current six place position!

Ditto :nod:

I know most folk don't care any more but Jennings raised more questions about his management style today in the Sunday post and the news of the world. Not all bad but seems he was "difficult to talk to about football" and didn't really know when to give someone a bollocking and when to offer encouragement. Particularly with the younger players.

Personally I'm more interested in the "stories coming out of Fir Park" at the moment concerning Brown and Knox.

It seems they've put a smile on most faces there and the atmosphere about the place is 100% better. Their knowledge of the game is not in question, and I would not be disappointed to see these two given till the end of the season just to give the club a bit of stability.

Cant believe anyone still gives credence to what "football" people say to the media. FFS people they say what they want you to hear. What do you expect ? Players to come out and say Broon's methods are off the Ark and he hasnt got a clue ? They are all sooking in just now hoping to make a good impression to get a game under him. Not much chance of the club sycophants that were telling us Gannon was 'the man' and that we were at the start of the revolution but are now spreading the muck about him saying a bad word about Broon and Knox either (until they leave).

Talk is cheap , ill judge my managers on results thanks very much , the players have a cheek though if they think they didnt deserve some home truths . Pats on the back and being told they are world beaters when they arent even top SPL players wont do us any good in the long run. Never mind being allowed to run riot and have a jolly jape at training each day. They need to get the finger out. :thumbup:

Interesting to note in the wake of the Kyle Controversy down at Rugby Park that all SPL players have to sign a standard clause in their contract instructing them not to discuss internal club affairs.

Basically any player coming out and discussing internal club affairs is breaking their contractual agreement with their employer so I wouldn't expect many players to bother taking the risk of discussing it openly, certainly to the media.

Talk is cheap , ill judge my managers on results thanks very much , the players have a cheek though if they think they didnt deserve some home truths . Pats on the back and being told they are world beaters when they arent even top SPL players wont do us any good in the long run. Never mind being allowed to run riot and have a jolly jape at training each day. They need to get the finger out. :rolleyes:

Nail, head, hammer for me. Too many of our so-called footballers seem to believe the manager should be some sort of jolly fellow that just lets them do what they like when they like when in actual fact he's the poor b*stard that carries the can when they f*ck up by being unable to perform even the basics of their chosen so-called profession. It's just as well they never had to play for the likes of Shankly, Busby, Stein, Ferguson etc. etc. Poor wee lambs! :lol:

Good luck to McGarry over in Perth. It was time for him to move on though, definitely. He was ridiculously unfit for a pro footballer and I imagine Gannon just thought he was a chancer. Wouldn't have shed any tears to see Craigan, Lasley, Fitzpatrick and the others who Gannon supposedly didnt rate follow him too.

Fans generally like to see revolution and if these guys were replaced with the sort of young, developing talent that Gannon had previously added to the squad then I'd have been happy. Quite concerned Craig Brown would have wanted to keep McGarry to be honest.