Ticket Pricing In The Spl, Do You Get Value For Money?

Hi guys,

I'm writing a university dissertation on the topic of ticket pricing in the SPL and i'm looking to generate some fan discussion on the points below:

What are your perceptions of ticket pricing in the SPL? - are tickets too expensive? - do you think you get value for money with regards to the quality of football on show ?

In the face of this recession, are SPL teams doing enough with their ticket pricing strategies to encourage all sorts of fans to attend football games (students, OAPs, families?)

How satisfied are you with your clubs behaviour towards pricing (for example- how well do motherwell promote discounted tickets/ half season tickets? are other incentives provided to encourage fans to attend games other than the price?)

Importantly, given the poor financial situation of many SPL clubs, would fans accept a potential increase in ticket prices in order to ensure the financial stability of the club in the long term?

I've created a survey to get a greater insight into what fans opinions are on pricing.

Here is the link below:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/splfansurvey

I'd be so grateful if you helped me out and filled in this survey, once i collect the data and make my conclusions i'd be more than happy to write you an article on what the general consensus is.

Thanks for your time ,

JS.

*admin, i was planning on running this by you first - but I don't know how to PM?*

No time for surveys ....................... However, my answer would be No. MFC are better than most with their pricing policies, but on the whole football is far too expensive these days, especially given the quality of the product on view.

What he said. Too dear, shite fitba.

Football in the UK (well Scotland and England) is vastly overpriced!

However if you compare the standard of players at the top premiership clubs, to the SPL, the SPL is a complete rip off. At least in England you are watching top players.

£20+ for an SPL game is scandalous, the standard is low, and the facilities are poor!

I only pay for myself, I can't imagine how hard it must be for those with kids that go to games aswell.

Some of the SFL prices are pretty steep too.

However if you compare the standard of players at the top premiership clubs, to the SPL, the SPL is a complete rip off. At least in England you are watching top players.
Ebbsfleet charges 15 quid for a home game. I don't think you see many top players there.

Ebbsfleet charges 15 quid for a home game. I don't think you see many top players there.

Ah, facetious as always Weeyin :O

He did mention the Premier League in England in his post when mentioning top players. And bringing in the cost of football anywhere in England is rather like for like with the SPL as the whole of Britain is vastly overcharging fans. And it does seem to be this old island alone in that respect. You of all people know you can get into a MLB regular season game for 10 bucks. Additionally a Bundasliga game for 12 Euros etc..

Ah, facetious as always Weeyin :O

He did mention the Premier League in England in his post when mentioning top players. And bringing in the cost of football anywhere in England is rather like for like with the SPL as the whole of Britain is vastly overcharging fans. And it does seem to be this old island alone in that respect. You of all people know you can get into a MLB regular season game for 10 bucks. Additionally a Bundasliga game for 12 Euros etc..

teams play 81 homes games in mlb and the germans have a massive population which ensures high attendances and a massive tv contract.

it costs about 4 million pounds a year to run motherwell to a fairly austere standard, we're guaranteed 18 home games plus two half cup gates and we have to maximise our income from them. if we want a decent team we have to pay for it, no one else will. away games are expensive but we can always take a bit of solace in the fact that mfc gain more than we pay out every season.

£15 all over would get the bodies back in if you ask me. I can afford to go to the football most of the time because I am a 19, I've got a full time job, no real ties and I stay with my parents. Others would struggle. Into the high twenties is definitely not good value for money, you'd barely pay that to see a reputable band or comedian and those would be one offs, whereas you are expected to shell that out week for week. I don't think John Boyle's early pricing would work but I'd like to think we'd be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

£15 all over would get the bodies back in if you ask me. I can afford to go to the football most of the time because I am a 19, I've got a full time job, no real ties and I stay with my parents. Others would struggle. Into the high twenties is definitely not good value for money, you'd barely pay that to see a reputable band or comedian and those would be one offs, whereas you are expected to shell that out week for week. I don't think John Boyle's early pricing would work but I'd like to think we'd be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

I would agree with that. We need to be realistic - a fiver or a tenner won't pay the bills but if there is any sort of price that can increase demand but retain the gate income it has to be looked at. I don't think MFC and especially other SPL clubs have explored the equilibrium price to potential. For a start some mates of mine who go once or twice a season with me have said they would go most weeks for £15. The thing with pricing is it is pshycological.

£22 (most away games) is a no no as it is a big purple plus change

£20 is a decent bit of money out of your wallet every week

£18 is pocket change back from said pshycological barrier of a score note.

£15 though is as near to a tenner as it is a twenty!

And even better

£13 is pocket change over a measly ten spot.

I'm telling you bringing the price down 15 - 30% will add on 15-30% in gate numbers. Even if it is shy of that there are still obvious benefits of getting more people involved in the match day habit as well as the net being cast wider for their friends and families in the future.

One of the biggest follies of our time is football clubs happily allowing a seat to sit empty at a match when we know for a fact there is someone outside waving £15 at the club to sit in it.

I would agree with that. We need to be realistic - a fiver or a tenner won't pay the bills but if there is any sort of price that can increase demand but retain the gate income it has to be looked at. I don't think MFC and especially other SPL clubs have explored the equilibrium price to potential. For a start some mates of mine who go once or twice a season with me have said they would go most weeks for £15. The thing with pricing is it is pshycological.

£22 (most away games) is a no no as it is a big purple plus change

£20 is a decent bit of money out of your wallet every week

£18 is pocket change back from said pshycological barrier of a score note.

£15 though is as near to a tenner as it is a twenty!

And even better

£13 is pocket change over a measly ten spot.

I'm telling you bringing the price down 15 - 30% will add on 15-30% in gate numbers. Even if it is shy of that there are still obvious benefits of getting more people involved in the match day habit as well as the net being cast wider for their friends and families in the future.

One of the biggest follies of our time is football clubs happily allowing a seat to sit empty at a match when we know for a fact there is someone outside waving £15 at the club to sit in it.

A nice idea but not one I agree with. What was the attendance last season when we dropped prices to a fiver for the game at FP against St. Mirren? That was a massive game for us and I'll be amazed if we got over 6,500. It is the poor product that are putting people off.

A nice idea but not one I agree with. What was the attendance last season when we dropped prices to a fiver for the game at FP against St. Mirren? That was a massive game for us and I'll be amazed if we got over 6,500. It is the poor product that are putting people off.

Aye but I'm not chatting about a 'Boyle Special' of dropping it to a fiver and hoping to triple the gate or more. The fact is there is only X amount of people that will go to Fir PArk to watch Motherwell in an average SPL game - even if it was 50p to get in!! That X amount of people that don't normally go will head along when it is 'cheap'.

The thing I'm suggesting that pshychologically 'cheap' could be just over a tenner and that we would prob get almost the same through the door at £13 as we would a fiver as the demand is limited but I maintain that £13 or £14 even is a sum that many will see as being just over a tenner and affordable. £18 is nearly a Twenty pund note and not affordable. Pshycological pricing has been used for years with your £9.99s and and £950s. I'm amazed it isn't used in football.

Train was cancelled and then the bus broke down on the way home last night so while I was waiting on Plan C to arrive to get me home I caught at bit of the Real Radio Phone and they were talking about this survey. Apparently over 10,000 folk have completed it since it went out.

We definitely DO NOT get value for money overall in the SPL. Leaving aside the quality of the product, which can vary from excellent to shite, the average cost of an SPL ticket is too high when added to the other costs involved in supporting your team.

Sadly most chairman think that even by making ticket prices £15 there wouldn't be an immediate rise in attendances to cover the cost of the drop in price. They are probably right too if we're being honest.

The entire matchday experience in Scotland is shite in comparison to every other major league in Europe including England. Without doubt, Scotland is the worst place to go to a football match in Europe and you have to pay high tickets prices for a shite product.

The matchday experience is pish. What are other leagues doing differently though?

Ah, facetious as always Weeyin :lol:

Actually, I was making the point that if you compare pound for pound entrance fees, we get a much higher standard in the SPL than the punters forking out 15 quid for non-league dross.

I'll let you know in advance next time I plan to be facetious. Save you you further embarrassment.

Actually, I was making the point that if you compare pound for pound entrance fees, we get a much higher standard in the SPL than the punters forking out 15 quid for non-league dross.

I'll let you know in advance next time I plan to be facetious. Save you you further embarrassment.

I had said though that football in Scotland AND England was too dear, but that at least in the Premiership you were watching top players. I would argue that pound for pound the Premiership, and possibly the top Championship teams is around the same as the SPL. If you were to start making comparisons with Italy, Germany, even Spain, we are getting shafted!

I was working in Ayr on a matchday last year and went to Ayr United v East Fife, and it was £17. Which is probably a lower standard than English non league if we are honest.

:lol:

That doesn't mean we get a good deal!! So if ticket prices were raised to £55 a game (and some people would still pay that :lol: ) but it was only £50 for a Conference game you would STILL point out that we get a good deal?

Why can't you just hold a discussion on here without being a complete cock about it. Tell you what - next time go and post on some Yank Baseball board - save YOURSELF further embarrassment.