Jim Jefferies

stoney

I was talking to Squirrelhumper in work today. Tommy McLean to take interim charge of Killie.

Furthermore, apparently 3 Killie players are seeing shrinks due to the stress of working under Jeffries/Brown, and Wullie Gibson (who I think has left Killie now) was on Valium due to the bullying received from the aforementioned two (allegedly!)

So, please naw to any notion of appointing those two at Fir Park. Let Utd have them.

Looking forward to Saturday's game now.

Heard similar stories myself from another source close to Killie. Although it makes you wonder about the modern player a wee bit!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell ye. It canny be that common for 3 SPL teams to be without a permanent manager at the one time.

And it might get worse before it gets better , Jim Jeffries may get his return to Falkirk and Gus Macpherson enjoyed his time at Killie :thumbup:

Like many, I don't personally like Jeffries or Calderwood, but then what good football managers are likeable?

Jeffries certainly has all the skills and experience to keep a club like Motherwell going - but I question his motivation now. Will he ever offer another club 8 years service?

I personally would like to bring in someone like Gannon again - ie. youth developer, skillful football - but with a bit more savvy on people management.

Craig Paterson on Tommy McLean today:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...op-coaches.html

CRAIG PATERSON and Tommy McLean fought like cat and dog.

The big defender hounded his Motherwell manager for a pay rise.

Wee Tam barked back by claiming Paterson was greedy.

After spells together at Rangers and Well, they didn't part on the best of terms.

But Paterson insists he NEVER doubted that McLean is one of Scotland's top coaches.

And the former Kilmarnock ace says he's the ideal man to resurrect the ailing fortunes at Rugby Park.

Paterson recalled: "I had my moments with Tommy.

"My classic line to everyone is that I joined Motherwell because of him and also left because of him.

"We butted heads a few times over the years.

"He would say it was because of money but I'd claim it was because of a lack of money.

"But through all the disagreements I never had any doubts over his ability to run a club.

"His tactical ability and way he'd set out a team was second to none. He was red hot.

"He was No2 at Rangers then manager at Motherwell and he was really astute.

"The first role set him up perfectly for the second one."

Killie have targeted 62-year-old McLean to take charge on what looks to be an interim basis at first.

He will be in the dugout for the visit of Motherwell on Saturday.

And Paterson reckons the former Hearts and Dundee United gaffer will want the job on a permanent basis.

He said: "I find it amazing that Tommy has been out of the dugout for so long.

"But I'm sure that will make him even more determined to do well at Kilmarnock.

"He will want to make this job his own and he won't just go down there with the idea of holding the fort.

"For me, the appointment makes perfect sense. There's no point bringing in someone who lacks experience when you can bring in someone like this.

"If Tommy hits the ground running, he'll have a chance to impress and possibly land himself the job."

Killie chairman Michael Johnston was cheered by some fans when he announced the exit of Jim Jefferies.

Paterson says the punters will be even happier a Rugby Park icon is taking his place.

McLean was a teenager in Willie Waddell's title-winning side of 1964/65. Now he'll return to Scotland's oldest professional club in a bid to reverse an alarming decline.

Paterson said: "When you take a job, it's great if you have a connection with the club. Everyone knows Tommy was a league winner with Killie back in the day.

"They pipped Hearts to the title on goal average on the last day of the season.

"Hearts fans actually held it against him when he got the manager's job at Tynecastle. It held him back there but it will certainly be in his favour this time.

"Playing in that legendary side will give him leeway with the supporters. And patience will be the key for Killie fans right now."

McLean takes the helm with Killie just two points above rock-bottom Falkirk.

It's not a situation which is alien to the veteran.

Paterson remembered: "The first season under Tommy at Motherwell in 1984 was about battling to make sure we weren't relegated.

"But as the years progressed he took the club to another level. He brought in quality players like Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper.

"And he improved the team to the stage where we won the Scottish Cup in 1991.

"If he gets the Kilmarnock job on a permanent basis, he'll want to better the team every year."

McLean has worked with the SFA for the last few years and knows youth football inside out.

Paterson reckons he'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of players he has inherited from Jefferies.

He said: "Tommy will look at Killie and see he has something to work with.

"Sometimes it just takes a new manager to come in and shake things up.

"It's a new start for everyone and I'm sure that can focus the minds of the players.

"He can steady the ship in these choppy waters.

Advertisement

"But he can do more than that, too, as he has a great football brain.

"Tommy is probably just as amazed as me that it's taken so long for him to get back into the game.

"Maybe people thought the older guard had had their day and it was time for new faces and new ideas."

McLean will go toe to toe with fellow veterans Craig Brown and Archie Knox when Well visit Killie this weekend.

Paterson smiled: "It'll be interesting to see if there is a flare-up!

"It will certainly be a veterans' bout if there is.

"But what I do know is they'll still be jumping up and down and screaming on the touchline.

"I wouldn't want to be the full back who is closest to the dugouts.

"That poor guy will be picked on from start to the finish.

"But they all know each other very well and there will certainly be lots of respect for each other."

I personally would like to bring in someone like Gannon again - ie. youth developer, skillful football - but with a bit more savvy on people management.

Agreed, someone with fresh ideas and can generate some excitement. Feck folk like Calderwood & Jeffries, they've had they time in sun(sunbeds for Calderwood).

I'd be willing to take Willie McStay(not my first pick like), he's done not too bad over in Hungary with one of the smaller sides. Maybe Andy Harrow(The Albo 10 Member) can comment more on his style etc??

Plus a Larky lad tae....some freebies coming my way me thinks.

PS Feck Leitch tae, he had his chance. Dour face cant!!!

I have been reliably informed that Gordon Chisholm is going to be the next Killie manager!!

That's what I hear........

Significant update on the vacant managerial post at Kilmarnock now - they've been given permission to speak to Queen of the South boss Gordon Chisholm as a replacement for Jim Jefferies.

+1

The talk is that Jimmy Calderwood could be the next Killie manager. Wouldn't have minded him at FP to be honest.

Offered the job tonight. Giving an answer tomorrow. Let us be honest it will be "HELL YES, PLEASE". Full credit to Killie that is for sure.