Ritchie Reveals Hurt At Motherwell Snub

numpty

http://www.bellshillspeaker.co.uk/sport/Ri...well.5983060.jp

FOOTBALL hero Andy Ritchie spoke this week of his hurt at being denied the chance to shine for his beloved Motherwell.

Ritchie, former Celtic star and Scottish football writers' player of the year, made only a handful of appearances at Fir Park during the mid-1980s after being signed by ex-Rangers manager Jock Wallace.

After Wallace left 'Well to return to Ibrox, Ritchie wasn't part of new boss Bobby Watson's plans and his days with his boyhood heroes were numbered.

Ritchie relived his short time at Fir Park as he promoted a new book, Flawed Genius, which spotlights some of Scottish football's most colourful characters.

A chapter is devoted to Ritchie who had three years at Celtic from 1973 before moving to Morton. There he achieved legendary status as a prolific goalscorer during a period when the Cappielow club enjoyed top flight status.

Ritchie grew up in Bellshill and was a regular at 'Well home games as a schoolboy.

He was set for a new lease of life when Wallace signed him after Morton were relegated, but it soon turned sour.

Ritchie said: "Bobby Watson came in but made it clear immediately he didn't want me. I had been there only six months, but Motherwell bought out my contract.

"It was a big, big disappointment because the team wasn't bad at that time with players like Gary McAllister and Ally Mauchlen involved. I would have loved to play more for them.

"Even today, after Morton, the Motherwell result is always the second one I look for on a Saturday."

Refreshing to hear - though like you Pie I never recall this being mentioned either in his 'heady days' at Morton, or when at Celtic.

I blame John Boyle - he should have returned from holiday and made this announcement himself. :rolleyes:

Big Ritchie was probably the best passer and cleanest striker of the ball I've seen - his stay at MFC was far too short

Didnae know this either. Remember we got a free-kick in a game against Morton I think. The buzz that went round the stadium was amazing cos it was his first chance to show what he could do in front of us home fans. Memory might play tricks but I seem to recall he scored it, League Cup tie maybe?

Pie, you may remember this ? ( THAT night at wee McManus's )

True story.

Early 80's (81-2ish) a squad of us were at an 18th or 21st or some other doo in the Derby Inn at Mossend. Thing finished about 1am so loads waiting outside for taxis, when a fast black pulled up and shouted "Ritchie" as usual everybody shouted " me". Driver was having none of it as it was a regular hire. Next thing we knew the doors opened and out came Andy Ritchie with a mate holding him up under each arm then attempting to pour him into the taxi.

Nothing unusaul in this story other than for those on here old enough to remember, this was the night before Morton played Aberdeen in a Scottish Cup Tie at Greenock with Andy scoring the winning goal with a strike for 30 odd yards that went on to become the Scotsport Goal of the Season.

If they could only have filmed the chip he was in 12 hrs earlier.

Thats what legends are made of, none of that poofy stuff you see today !!

Didnae know this either. Remember we got a free-kick in a game against Morton I think. The buzz that went round the stadium was amazing cos it was his first chance to show what he could do in front of us home fans. Memory might play tricks but I seem to recall he scored it, League Cup tie maybe?

Positive he scored with it - was at the 'taggarts' end.

Pie, you may remember this ? ( THAT night at wee McManus's )

No idea what you're on about, must have been someone else mate :notworthy: Gumby maybe or was that when we dressed Boydy in a wig and bra and Grant thought he was a bird asleep on Stumpy's couch :woop:

Did he no score a goal from the half-way line at FP ? Andy Ritchie that is, not Gwanty :cheers:

When I was at Forgewood Boys Club we always got Jamie Dolan and Willie Burns who played for Man City (Tam Burns son) to present our trophies.

26, 27 & 28 years ago it was Andy Ritchie, I still have my trophies somewhere. William Burns played in the same team. Willie Burns :notworthy: that sounds painful.

Positive he scored with it - was at the 'taggarts' end.

You are spot on, in the 'keeper's top right hand corner, an absolute beauty!

Remember him very well and yep a well fan, he always took time to come and present trophies for forgewood boys club end of season, player of the year. Mr Burns knew him well.
andy gave the trophies out one year when i played for blue circle[30 odd years ago]still have the picture somewhere with me with a german helmet hairdo :P