Only Time Will Tell...

decorator

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinion this man had us going in the right direction and given time would have taken us to glory...

cc8460fd.jpg

ps. I see Jim never had the club tie on :lol:

Wasn't the reason for his sacking his refusal to sign a contract

I also agree, however a number of issues transpired against us:

- Contract not being signed

- 'Senior' players didn't like being criticised / dropped

- Seems most of the players would rather be mediocre and have a good time, rather than be pushed into living like athletes and improving their abilities.

Who knows what went on, and whether Jim was just up here to boost his resume in the short term; but the last 2 points above may have been the final stumbling block on his not remaining here.

I think it will be a case of 'what could have been,' as MFC and JG looked like a fine marriage for a few months. Would have been interesting if he was able to remove the guys he perceived as unprofessional, as I reckon he could have developed a number of cracking players from the youth team into real stars.

As we stand, I worry that with our current management were at the forefront of where it all went wrong for Scottish football. I cant see CB and AK pushing them onto the next levels by encouraging professional attitudes to lifestyles, modern training methods with emphasis on technique and so on. Arsenal booted stokes out due to concerns regarding his lifestyle, which continued at Sunderland, and his status is now so low he ended up at Hibs. That is an example of how boozing and not applying 100% effort to improve can leave young talent on the scrapheap, and has been the bain of Scottish talent!

Like I say though, I hope I am wrong, and Broon has turned into a Van Gaal / Wenger-esque nurturer of talent.....very much doubt it though!

EDIT: Sorted out the quagmire - must have bumped the trackpad halfway through!

Actually not a bad post airfinz but wondering about the following;

"Seems most of the players would rather be mediocre and have a good time, rather than be pushed into living like athletes and improving their abilities".

Is this info gleamed from social networking sites or personal knowledge?

Actually not a bad post airfinz but wondering about the following;

"Seems most of the players would rather be mediocre and have a good time, rather than be pushed into living like athletes and improving their abilities".

Is this info gleamed from social networking sites or personal knowledge?

To be honest, a sweeping generalisation based upon stories on here and the impression I get. The press releases by some players since JG left seem to try and portray the victim card, which generally suggests JG was trying to press his beliefs on the squad, which appears to have been met with resistance!

Another things that screams out to me is the fact that Jim jogged back from training whilst the rest got the minibus. If I was one of the unfavoured players, such as McGarry, LAsley or Craigan I would have made sure I was running alongside him! In fact, as club cappun' Craigan should have been jogging along anyway, and as such encouraging them all to do it, rather than fucking about on a bus!

To be honest, a sweeping generalisation based upon stories on here and the impression I get. The press releases by some players since JG left seem to try and portray the victim card, which generally suggests JG was trying to press his beliefs on the squad, which appears to have been met with resistance!

Another things that screams out to me is the fact that Jim jogged back from training whilst the rest got the minibus. If I was one of the unfavoured players, such as McGarry, LAsley or Craigan I would have made sure I was running alongside him! In fact, as club cappun' Craigan should have been jogging along anyway, and as such encouraging them all to do it, rather than fucking about on a bus!

Not sure I agree with this mate. Remember, the players were probably training for a couple of hours and JG probably just watched/instructed. The guys will have done their workout for the day. JG wouldn't have.

A 'mate of a mate' played for Gannon at Stockport and despised the man, as did most of the team, apparently. Said he would be making all these hand signals in the technical area and nobody had a clue what he meant by them. They all just kidded on they understood.

But that's not the point. Like most others I supported what JG was trying to do on the pitch and was prepared to give him a couple of seasons to get it right but there's more to the job than just training and tactics. You have to give respect to earn respect and if you treat people like shite and wage petty, personal vendettas then you are getting a very important part of your job very wrong. Hated throughout the club? Players desperate to leave? Refusing to sign a contract? Does that sound like the new messiah or an arrogant prick?

I'm not suggesting players should be given a cuddle when we get beat but I also fail to see how a demoralised and miserable squad are going to be any use to anybody.

Some on here have suggested that Granpaw Broon might be a soft touch; cutting about handing out the Werthers Originals at training and bouncing the younger guys on his knee. I don't know if he is but I'm as sure as I am that there's a hole in my arse that Erchie Knox is anything but. I think the difference is that they will command the players' respect.

As a wee aside, a mate of mine used to play for plastic whistle under a certain manager who was as famous for his cigars and one-liners as he was for his managerial exploits. At the time they were 3rd division part-timers. My mate was a student and money was tight. One week he didn't get his win bonus (which was in his contract) after a win so he went to see the manager.

"Boss, I didn't get my win bonus in my wages"

"Aye, that's right son"

"But we won"

"Aye ye did but yeez were shite so ah'm no gi'en yeez yur bonuses"

"But it's in ma contract"

"So sue me. Ye canny fuck wi' me son. Fuck wi' me and ye'll never play in this league again."

Does anybody think that's the proper way to treat people? Does fucking people about really inspire them to do their best for you or does it just encourage them to look for another job?

Problem was that good old jimbo was full of shit and self importance ,much like the guys on here. ;)

So what you are trying to say Postie Jim is that you are happy for Scottish Football and Scottish players to wallow in mediocrity just so long as nobody comes along and tries to rock the boat and drag them forward. This my friend is the reason why Scottih football is heading for oblivion.

Here is an example (Rangers dressing room)

P Le Guen ' Boydy, I don't think you should be turning up for training hung over and eating Monster Munch as a diet'

B Ferguson ' How dare you treat my friend in such a way. Come on Boydy, let's go to Newcastle get hammered and get this guy the sack'

Result PLG gets the sack and Rangers are to this day playing the same old shite they always have and getting pumped 4-0 in Europe.

I would guess you could swap a couple of well players in this general scenario and you would have a similar story. Gannon will be delighted that he has got himself out of the hole that is Scottish Football.

So what you are trying to say Postie Jim is that you are happy for Scottish Football and Scottish players to wallow in mediocrity just so long as nobody comes along and tries to rock the boat and drag them forward. This my friend is the reason why Scottih football is heading for oblivion.

Here is an example (Rangers dressing room)

P Le Guen ' Boydy, I don't think you should be turning up for training hung over and eating Monster Munch as a diet'

B Ferguson ' How dare you treat my friend in such a way. Come on Boydy, let's go to Newcastle get hammered and get this guy the sack'

Result PLG gets the sack and Rangers are to this day playing the same old shite they always have and getting pumped 4-0 in Europe.

I would guess you could swap a couple of well players in this general scenario and you would have a similar story. Gannon will be delighted that he has got himself out of the hole that is Scottish Football.

Another huge whopping great assumption based possibly on the fact that one of the players mumping was the slightly portly McGarry? Has anyone ever had any reason pre Gannon to question the professionalism of other outcasts like Craigan and Lasley. Lasley in particular has always been the kind of player that bursts a gut on the park and not one to shirk even if he isn't the worlds greatest player.

;) We'll never know obviously but looking forward to every game and being excited by the potential in our side is not a regular occurrence 'up by'

Did you stop going to games around the end of August? I saw some psotive early signs and briefly shared that excitement but we quickly became an absolutely dire team to watch and despite the cup loss I'm looking forward to saturdays game more than I did the last dozen or so under Gannon. I may well be quickly disappointed but well used to that so I'll cope if it turns horrendous again.