Televised Matches And Dropping Attendances

Special aka

Are they related ?

Anyone, who would normally have gone to Fir Park, decide to watch on TV instead ?

I certainly won't be judgemental, others might, but it was mentioned on OTB that with TV continuing to call the shots are we heading towards crowdless games with bigger viewing audiences ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the house watching when i would normally be there.Its a protest from me, the live games should be reserved for the old firm (who can afford to carry a few armchair supporters)because this is not a good advert for scottish football

Can only speak for myself, but I haven't been to a game in 2 years, simply because I am totally skint. And that won't be changing for a while unfortunately.

There will always be the hardcore who will go to matches whatever the cost, but the price is driving more and more people away I think. It's just too much money to be spending on a few hours "entertainment", especially if you have a family and a few of ye's going.

football on TV is Directly associated with falling attendances,

I didn't make it to Fir Park today, work & family commitments meant I'd have missed a chunk of it and been pushed for time right after it,

but ultimately if I could have been bothered I'd have made it for an 45-60mins of the match

however it being on TV, means I could see it all.

=two less fans in the ground.

but its not just the live Motherwell games that mean attendances drop, the saturation of football particularly over the weekend, means attendances will never return whilst games are on in the pubs/living rooms around scotland

Posted this in match thread but this thread seems appropriate?

Why didn't we let kids - or even ANYONE in for free today!???

spacer.gif

With the Free ESPN deal this weekend (I bought it anyway to get the Rangers game in the house too) I am a bit bemused as to why the club isn't doing EVERYTHING they can to get arses on seats. Like you say, regulars like myself and ST holders perhaps with travel expenses to take care of will be giving it a miss and the place is going to look very deserted.

This doesn't look good and although I'm part of the problem for opting for ESPN I siply can't justify £18 on the gate plus £10+ on petrol for a game that I can watch in my living room in my fecking under crackers. Many will feel the same and you can't blame them. This could lead to a crowd of sub 3000. Solution?

How about free schools tickets? - literally deliver hundreds of wee vouchers or something to every school in a 15 Mile radius. Perhaps accompanying adults in for a tenner.

This is THE game we should be doing this. There will be practically ZERO cash income on the gate so WHY NOT??

OK, so it won't bring much cash in but the seat is lying there EMPTY anyway. It could put a thousand or so punters in front of the cameras and if even one wee kid persuades his dad to bring him back surely it is worth it.

Ironically, I used to love going to Fir Park when it was live on the telly.

There was always something magical in the atmosphere when Sky originally tok interest in the games.

In recent years though, I have tended to watch televised games in the house against any of the provincial clubs. Reason being that the quality on show doesn't reflect in the price and the atmosphere is non-existent.

Fair play to ESPN today though, thought the coverage was excellent and put a very positive spin on all things Motherwell.

Last April the attendance was 6626, but then I'm sure it was only a fiver to get in, that was live on TV but not freeview as it were. Cup tie just under 6000, and other league game 4700-odd. Today, 3621.

A disappointing attendance but not surprising. When its around £20 to get in for a lunchtime kick off that's on freeview, that's what's going to happen. St Mirren were lucky if they brought 200 with them, but if we'd dropped the prices to a tenner, would we have got a much bigger crowd?

I know of 2 people (1 from each side) who did not go to the game today as it was free on TV, okay it's only 2 but I felt we were around 1000 people down on what I would have expected for that game. I just hope we got an extra top up from ESPN because they put the game on from free.

Even without TV coverage crowds go down during a recession.

Look at the crowds in the early eighties. It was even worse than now.

We had a 3,300 against Kilmarnock last season and a 2,800 against Inverness, so this was by no means the lowest league attendence at Fir Park in recent times.

shite support again today, people need to realise that motherwell fc only exists for motherwell fans and therefore motherwell fans are the ones who have to put their hands in their pockets to ensure the club can survive.

15 thousand at the CIS final, 3000 in nancy but only 200 on monday and just over 3000 today. if there's a good day out involved or a bit of glamour you'll have well fans coming out your ears (and they'll be signed up online moaning about ticket allocation) but the week to week support that club needs to thrive is never going to be there.

15 thousand at the CIS final, 3000 in nancy but only 200 on monday and just over 3000 today.

Has always been the case. our average support has always in my lifetime been around 5 - 6 thousand. Cup finals will always bring out the crowds. christ we took over 30,000 to hampden in 1991. Monday night was an exception . People have to work etc... if it had been on a sat we would prob have taken around 1500 more.

if there's a good day out involved or a bit of glamour you'll have well fans coming out your ears (and they'll be signed up online moaning about ticket allocation) but the week to week support that club needs to thrive is never going to be there.

As has been said people are skint, there is a recesssion on. And £20 to watch SPL football is way to much. I would love to go every week but i can't afford to as I have a daughter who has just started school. Her nursery fees were near £700 a month. that 3 times what i'm paying for my mortgage at the moment. some people have changing priorities i'm afraid.

if we can only get 3000 for for a home game what right have we to expect to be able to compete with hearts, hibs or aberdeen?

We don't.  We will never be able to pull the crowds due to the size of Motherwell compared to Edinburgh / Aberdeen. And how many people in Motherwell do you know support Rangers or Celtic. 

My expectation every season is to stay in the SPL and have a decent cup run. Anything else is a bonus :lol:

You'll always get more people at a cup final, cos it's a bloody cup final! We don't play in those a lot so it's usually quite nice to go when we do. I don't have to buy a whole load of shite DVD's before buying a good one, so the football isn't any different.

The problem I have is the notion that fans have some sort of duty to go to games and plough money into the club. This kind of blind loyalty is how clubs get away with charging £20 and up. the players don't need the support either, they're getting paid to do it. If "support" and "atmosphere" was so important to team performance they'd be paying us. If you're just going to the game because you feel you have to, then don't bother and do something you enjoy instead.

I have my seasons where I wont miss a game, and I'll have some where I only go to a handful. Some times I don't go due to work or family stuff, other times I just cant be bothered. Any time I do go it is because I want to watch the team I love play football, whether it's shite or not. This doesn't mean I'm less a supporter than the fundies.

I didn't go today.

I'm broke, but if it wasn't on the telly I just wouldn't have seen the game.

I really can't justify spending 20 odd quid to watch a football game, the prices in Scottish football are the problem not the fact it was on telly.

If were going to charge that the end product has to reflect the cost, which it doesn't, by a long, long way.

I'm guessing (steelboy) that you don't have rent, council tax, ammenity bills to pay, mouths to feed and have nothing better to do than to spend your money on all things Motherwell? For that I am truly envious.

You'll always get more people at a cup final, cos it's a bloody cup final! We don't play in those a lot so it's usually quite nice to go when we do. I don't have to buy a whole load of shite DVD's before buying a good one, so the football isn't any different.

The problem I have is the notion that fans have some sort of duty to go to games and plough money into the club. This kind of blind loyalty is how clubs get away with charging £20 and up. the players don't need the support either, they're getting paid to do it. If "support" and "atmosphere" was so important to team performance they'd be paying us. If you're just going to the game because you feel you have to, then don't bother and do something you enjoy instead.

I have my seasons where I wont miss a game, and I'll have some where I only go to a handful. Some times I don't go due to work or family stuff, other times I just cant be bothered. Any time I do go it is because I want to watch the team I love play football, whether it's shite or not. This doesn't mean I'm less a supporter than the fundies.

100% agree with every word you said mate especially the bit at the bottom in bold. Great post 

The problem I have is the notion that fans have some sort of duty to go to games and plough money into the club.

i disagree. the clubs exists because of the fans. it costs a lot to put a decent team on the park and maintain a pitch and a stadium, if motherwell fans aren't willing to pay for that then who is going to provide the money?

we support a club that relatively very few people care about, if the people who claim to care about the club aren't willing to put their hands in their pockets then we'll be stuck watching continually worse football in a rotting stadium until we wind up due to lack of interest.

the problem with scottish football is that too many people want to talk about what's wrong but not enough people are actually willing to commit time and money to making things better.

I didn't go today.

I'm broke, but if it wasn't on the telly I just wouldn't have seen the game.

I really can't justify spending 20 odd quid to watch a football game, the prices in Scottish football are the problem not the fact it was on telly.

If were going to charge that the end product has to reflect the cost, which it doesn't, by a long, long way.

I'm guessing (steelboy) that you don't have rent, council tax, ammenity bills to pay, mouths to feed and have nothing better to do than to spend your money on all things Motherwell? For that I am truly envious.

Well said Sir! and I was at the game but I can't stand the pish people spout about fans no turning up!

Football clubs have relied on fans putting there hands in there pockets out of blind loyalty for to long. A club like Motherwell have no right to expect us just to roll up every week and because some fans have to prioritise their cash does not mean they don't care about the club

Football clubs have relied on fans putting there hands in there pockets out of blind loyalty for to long. A club like Motherwell have no right to expect us just to roll up every week and because some fans have to prioritise their cash does not mean they don't care about the club

Exactly sir!

So, since the "product" is shite, we should pay more? It just doesn't work that way.

Even doubling our attendances with the current prices would merely give us the funds to sign players who are only marginally better than what we have, and we'd still spend the absolute minimum in maintaining Fir Park. So I don't feel the slightest bit guilty that I haven't put my hand in my pocket.

It is up to the football clubs and the governing bodies to make the game more attractive to supporters. Everyone who is in the game is there to make money, therefore it is up to them to justify us paying them, and clearly they aren't doing a very good job.