Televised Matches And Dropping Attendances

Special aka

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motherwell have buried there heads in the sand for years on this issue, regime changes bring promises of change, then when it becomes difficult they give up.

It seems the best they could come up with of late was throwing free tickets at schools, with no thought of any serious follow up to see if anything changed.

Someone at MFC wants their arse kicking for letting it get to this stage

Now why the personal abuse, internet hardman, and how about addressing the points raised rather than taking a hissy fit?

Please don't get me started. If you read the full thread i've made my points very clearly. Why is it everytime someone disagrees / argues with you you call them an internet hardman, You know nothing about me, You know nothing about supporting Motherwell. Now away and eat your prawn sandwiches with the rest of your glory hunting supporters. 

Why is it everytime someone disagrees / argues with you you call them an internet hardman,

You know nothing about supporting Motherwell. Now away and eat your prawn sandwiches with the rest of your glory hunting supporters.

The point about internet hardmen was due to your aggression when asked a straight question. Can't you have a conversation without tapping away abuse on your keyboard? There was no call for it.

Your second point demonstrates why I ask questions rather than presuming to know the answers beforehand. It's always better to ask the opinion of those in the know, that way you can learn somthing and avoid drawing ridiculous conclusions on a subject you don't know about, e.g. "prawn sandwiches/gloryhunter".

I went to Inverness on Monday and paid £15 for me and my 15 year old. Now a first division team against an SPL side should have attracted at least a couple of thousand home fans but sadly they never trapped even although the prices were good. What does that say.

Just one point. How many season ticket holders do we have and how many pay at the gate at home games. Do the math and if there is only about an extra 1000 paying then why not have a freebie day. Yes, let them in for free and see how many trap. I know extra police and stewards might be required. But as a one off people might just come back if we do the biz on the park. Who knows. Oh and as for the Inverness game the guy that lit up in the back row was an arsehole and bang out of order and I don't care how pissed he was. But the big fella AKA I believe, stepped in and told him so. Nice one big fella.

Motherwell have buried there heads in the sand for years on this issue, regime changes bring promises of change, then when it becomes difficult they give up.

It seems the best they could come up with of late was throwing free tickets at schools, with no thought of any serious follow up to see if anything changed.

Someone at MFC wants their arse kicking for letting it get to this stage

I don't actually think the club have gave up at all. Someone earlier pointed out that attendances always drop in a recession. The club are probably working their backsides off to stand still.

Aye they could drop the price and get some extra numbers on, but the extra numbers wouldn't cover the drop in income.

I'm sure they would be more than happy to try any good idea to put extra numbers on the gate, whilst still retaining the same amount of money for the playing budget.

Oh and as for the Inverness game the guy that lit up in the back row was an arsehole and bang out of order and I don't care how pissed he was. But the big fella AKA I believe, stepped in and told him so. Nice one big fella.

To be fair, if the big yin told me to put out a fag, it would be put out sharpish. :(

Please don't get me started. If you read the full thread i've made my points very clearly. Why is it everytime someone disagrees / argues with you you call them an internet hardman, You know nothing about me, You know nothing about supporting Motherwell. Now away and eat your prawn sandwiches with the rest of your glory hunting supporters.

What's wrong with his post ? As for your verbal slurry, it's just not necessary. OK the guy's Mancunian and a Man U fan, so fekkin what I say. His other half is from Motherwell, so he's taken a shine to us. What's wrong with that ? ;) Would you rather such folks opted for one of the Mauldeez ?

Agree or not with his opinions, but there is no need to dish out the verbals :(

However, you're going to have a hard time convincing clubs to vote for what's perceived as two larger paydays per season when they presently get three or four.

Simple answer to this - in fact the only answer if we want the game to survive. Bring back 50/50 gates and get a 16 team league on the go.

If not in 5/10/15 years time we will have SPL crowds at Motherwell/Killie/St Mirren of 2500 (or nothing at all....) and Crowds of 30,000 odd at Ibrox/Parkhead where they will take turns of winning the league by 25 clear points in Easter with a team full of snapped up players from provincial clubs while complaining about no competition (like now I suppose!)

IF we do a 50/50 (or even 60/40) with a 16 team league we COULD facilitate competition as clubs will survive and if Hibs or Utd go on a run like this season they don't have to go to Glasgow FOUR times where they are virtually guarenteed 0,1 or 2 points from 12. This alone will stop anyone winning the league!!

16 teams, 50/50 gates. 10er ticket prices all over the shops = big crowds, competition, better quality, european success!!

Simples!!!

What's wrong with his post ? As for your verbal slurry, it's just not necessary. OK the guy's Mancunian and a Man U fan, so fekkin what I say. His other half is from Motherwell, so he's taken a shine to us. What's wrong with that ? ;) Would you rather such folks opted for one of the Mauldeez ?

Agree or not with his opinions, but there is no need to dish out the verbals :(

It's alright, big guy, there are plenty of good 'Well fans out there. The guys I met from the forum a while back were terrific blokes, and I don't doubt a 'Well fan on a Man United board would receive similar comments from a small minority.

Anyway, I was somewhat surprised by yesterday's attendance, but many clubs find themselves in the same position, particularly in today's economic times. If were an easy issue to solve,

it would have been so long before now.

Simple answer to this - in fact the only answer if we want the game to survive. Bring back 50/50 gates and get a 16 team league on the go.

But then you're taking on established wealth and power, Jaun, and they ( in Scotland's case the Old Firm ) would fight such a proposal tooth and nail, and we all know the big clubs get their own way.

In England in the pre-Sky era television revenue used to be split 50% division 1, 25% division two, 12.5% each fro divisions 3 and 4. Well, the tv deal the Premier League clubs negotiated upon its inception blew all that out of the water and now the gap grows ever wider. The split of ticket revenue was also changed in their favour. The grassroots is ignored so that ever bigger transfer fees and wages can be paid in the Premier League. The Champions League has further fuelled the divide across Europe.

It's hard to see how the clock could ever be turned back when there is so much money at stake. The national assocations and UEFA are terrified of upsetting the biggest players, and the richer and more powerful they become the harder they become to stand against. Football is big business today, and the fans and the grassroots aren't a priority.

If the smaller clubs are to increase attendances, they will have to do it alone, because the national associations and UEFA won't want to know about any ideas of redistribution of wealth.

I don't actually think the club have gave up at all. Someone earlier pointed out that attendances always drop in a recession. The club are probably working their backsides off to stand still.

Aye they could drop the price and get some extra numbers on, but the extra numbers wouldn't cover the drop in income.

I'm sure they would be more than happy to try any good idea to put extra numbers on the gate, whilst still retaining the same amount of money for the playing budget.

Joe the club have fannied about for years with this problem, it's alright spouting demographically selected this and that like in the past, but with no way of proving if this idea or that idea is working then they would be as well throwing the free tickets down the shitter, our attendances have been falling steadily before the recession hit, what was done before that, virtually nothing.

If we want to increase and retain a larger attendance then they need to get serious about it fast, it seems that those in the know can walk the walk, but few seem able to talk the talk.

The debate about dropping prices can work, if we say there are 1000 pay at the gates every week and on average it costs £20 to attend a match, you drop that to £15 and get another 350 through the gates your making money. But to gain any advantage in doing this you need to follow such an initiative with hard data, which is what the club fail to do.

Like I say they need to stop faffing about and take this issue seriously

I think the only way to really see if a new pricing structure would work would be to do it over a season, including season tickets, and alongside other "recruitment initiatives". This would obviously take some balls and some financial backing. There would also be the risk of the reduction not being significant enough to make an impact, so some serious research would be required beforehand.

This way we are providing a viable form of entertainment for those who would never have considered going to football otherwise, and also providing a reason for those from the shire who shell out to watch the unwashed to think twice.

Anything else will provide a one off surge in attendance, with most people treating it like a day out, when we really want to hook the next generation of diehards.

Anything else will provide a one off surge in attendance, with most people treating it like a day out, when we really want to hook the next generation of diehards.

This is the key point in the whole debate, the club have been throwing tickets at school kids with no apparent feedback of who attended and who didn't, and if anyone came back thereafter.

As far as I'm concerned those that follow the OF can be written off as a lost cause, very few would be persuaded to leave the bigot heaven to come to FP, and I'm not so sure I would welcome them anyway.

Other clubs are in the same position as us with crowds falling, we should be getting round the table with them and discussing the problems and looking to find solutions that would benefit us all.

The thing is can't do that during the season. As has been seen in the past the Season Ticket Holders get peeved off if Motherwell reduce the prices for certain matches here, there and everywhere as it lessens the saving for them.

If John Boyle came out tomorrow and said we're going to reduce all entry prices for Category B & C games (do we have C games?) to £10 per Adult (16-64 year olds) and £5 everyone one else I bet you there will be outcry from some on here because they bought a season ticket, and the saving promised in the letter has had a mass reduction, with some even demanding money back...

If they do it at the start of the season, and no other club does, they loose an advantage against the non city clubs, and fall even further back from the city clubs.

It seems to me to be a bit of a catch 22, in order to generate bigger crowds the quality of the product has to improve, not just on the pitch but the whole matchday experience.

The stadium needs upgrading the catering needs to be better etc. etc. etc. but how do they do this without bigger crowds generating more income ?

I see there is a new initiative to screen away games in the cooper bar from the end of this month, that should generate some income and profit hopefully.

As for the reduction in gate prices as a season ticket holder I'd rightly be a bit pissed off so there would have to be a trade off in the form of some extra benefit for this season or discount on renewal.

There is a thread started by leeann discussing the relationship between the club and the fans which is a very positive idea, I believe the club ues are looking at other clubs and leagues to see what they are doing.

Away games televised at FP? :woop:

If this type of thing was to catch on, then away crowds would fall away drastically.

They would indeed.

However, if it was a choice between travelling to another clubs ground, paying them my ticket money, plus all the extras of buying food and programmes etc, or going to Fir Park and paying them money to buy drink, maybe some food and even an entrance fee, I know what i'd rather do.

I'm not even going to mention the attractive bonus of watching the game in a warm environment with fellow 'Well fans whilst enjoying a pint.