Overrated Players

fizoxy

Richie Foran - It never ceases to amaze me just how highly so many of our fans actually rated, and still do rate this guy, going by the heroes reception he gets when playing against us for Inverness. He was an extremely lazy player with very little ability yet did have a good goalscoring ratio even though he contributed very little else to the team. His 'cult' status seemed to stem from the fact that he was 'a bit of a lad'...and not much else.

John Spencer - A money grabbing wee chancer who did nothing atall to even remotely justify his vastly inflated salary, yet another player who could do absolutely no wrong with the vast majority of the support.

Andy Goram - see John Spencer

Of course there have been plenty others, but those three stand out as they were almost untouchable with the Motherwell support when they were here.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a high salary doesn't make you over rated. it makes you over valued.

No I know that, but Spencer & Goram were seen as cult heroes at the time by many Motherwell fans and whilst other players got dogs abuse for less, these two got off very lightly from the supporters for their many poor displays in a Claret & Amber jersey.

I remember a game against Dundee Utd at Fir Park back in the late nineties when Lee McCulloch had scored two first half goals to give us a 2-0 lead, yet he he also missed a few good chances aswell to put the game well and truly beyond United and was subjected to all sorts from some of our fans for it. Then later in the game, Spencer - who'd done nothing all day - missed an open goal by trying to go for the spectacular from about sixteen yards out and the same fans who had slated McCulloch actually laughed at Spencer and gave him mock 'hee haws'. And Dundee United ended up coming back to draw the game 2-2.

Just skimmed this. Can't believe this bellend hasn't been mentioned. :P

article-0-02A4321D00000578-163_306x423.jpg

"Yeah but look at the tackles he does make"

Look at the ones he fucking misses and the goals he's responsible for conceding, without even mentioning the OGs.

Leitch as well. Not much ability, just one of those 'fan favourites'.

If Craigan is overrated he must be fucking very good at it. To get a club fans to accept you is one thing, but a whole nation at the same time. Impressive stuff.

Or it could be trucks talkng shite again, although I have to praise you on the amount of words you used in that post....

As much as John Spencer possibly does deserve criticism for later displays, for the period from when he arrived and made his debut against Rangers (and scored the winner) up to the league win at Tynecastle in January a few months later, when he signed a permanent contract, he was one of the best players I've ever seen in a 'Well strip.

Richie Foran - It never ceases to amaze me just how highly so many of our fans actually rated, and still do rate this guy, going by the heroes reception he gets when playing against us for Inverness. He was an extremely lazy player with very little ability yet did have a good goalscoring ratio even though he contributed very little else to the team. His 'cult' status seemed to stem from the fact that he was 'a bit of a lad'...and not much else.

Or maybe it was as simple as his goalscoring ratio being good, same as Stevie Kirk.

I remember Kirky scoring against Raith Rovers at Fir Park and being physically restrained from giving the East Stand the finger or some similar gesture cos of the abuse he got from there. Foran got plenty pelters as well but both players are fondly remembered perhaps because they scored plenty goals for us.

Just skimmed this. Can't believe this bellend hasn't been mentioned. :whistling:

article-0-02A4321D00000578-163_306x423.jpg

"Yeah but look at the tackles he does make"

Look at the ones he fucking misses and the goals he's responsible for conceding, without even mentioning the OGs.

Leitch as well. Not much ability, just one of those 'fan favourites'.

I cannot believe this! How can you criticise Craigan???? HOW DARE YOU! His long balls up the park back to the opposition are world class! And his pace puts Usain Bolt to shame. Speaking of shame, you should have some for daring to say he is overrated. No one rates him apart from some specials on this forum. Saunders > Craigan.

*tin hat on*

Trucks - one of many 'Well fans who doesn't properly understand football. I bet you love the ginger blunderbus that plays beside Craigan every week..

Not a massive fan of Reynolds, looks to have gone backwards the last year or so.

If Craigan is overrated he must be fucking very good at it. To get a club fans to accept you is one thing, but a whole nation at the same time. Impressive stuff.

Aw, if he plays well for N. Ireland, and shite for us, that's just fine then. :mellow:

Give us a loan of that tin hat albi, you're a fucking dragon. You don't need it.

Like I said, overrated. If everyone agreed with me he wouldn't be overrated now, would he? :whistling:

John Spencer - A money grabbing wee chancer who did nothing atall to even remotely justify his vastly inflated salary, yet another player who could do absolutely no wrong with the vast majority of the support.

Andy Goram - see John Spencer

Of course there have been plenty others, but those three stand out as they were almost untouchable with the Motherwell support when they were here.

Foran pumped my best mates sister. I would of pumped her before I found this out.

Actually that would make for a decent Poll Question.. Do you know someone Foran f%@ked? yes or no

One name comes to mind straight away:

David "was meant to score plenty goals in the Championship acc to some boardmembers" Clarkson!

Was he overrated? Because a player doesn't go on and do what some expected doesn't make him overrated at the club he was at before. At Motherwell, he was, especially in his final two years a very important player for us.

Foran pumped my best mates sister. I would of pumped her before I found this out.

Actually that would make for a decent Poll Question.. Do you know someone Foran f%@ked? yes or no

I know someone who had their virginity broken by Skippy :notworthy:

I know someone who had their virginity broken by Skippy :lol:

Cheryl? :notworthy:

Or was it actually you?

Given a fair chance Clarky will score plenty of goals in the Championship!!!

For fuck sake he hit the crossbar from the half way line :P

Disagree myself, I think he's SPL level at best!

Cheryl? :notworthy:

Or was it actually you?

Disagree myself, I think he's SPL level at best!

SPL and Championship is no a great difference. Just ask Rossco (penalties or not). He still shone.

Yes he is better than Clarky but Clarky is a better goalscorer and given a chance will score a few goals. However, I don't think he will get that chance at Bristol City.

SPL and Championship is no a great difference. Just ask Rossco (penalties or not). He still shone.

Yes he is better than Clarky but Clarky is a better goalscorer and given a chance will score a few goals. However, I don't think he will get that chance at Bristol City.

12 Games. 6 with more than 45 minutes and 3 over 70 min and 1 full game. He scored 1 single goal.

You can argue he never really got a chance, but he played a fair amount of games and acc to the praise he is getting here, he should have more than 1 single goal and 2 assists.

--> Overrated!

You can't judge him in 12 appearances though! You have to give him time. The Championship season is the longest season I know. If he started every game and only scored 1 goal I would be disappointed but he has had nowhere near a chance. Also those 12 starts do not equate to a proper run of games and we all no Clarky is a confidence player.

Not to mention at least half of those are on left wing...

And all those stats doesn't not prove he was overrated for Motherwell. The fact we couldn't score for love no money when he was out during last seasons shows you he wasn't overrated (IMHO)

And your humble opinion is the right opinion :lol: . Some Well fans have short memories :notworthy:

And your humble opinion is the right opinion :P . Some Well fans have short memories :(

Quite agree and others have opinions that can't be swayed by any reasoning and are barely worth argueing with who depsite two solid seasons of scoring and creating goals insist someone isn't very good. :doh: