Top 6 A Distinct Possibility Now?

Gaag

I was thinking last night that if we could get 4 points from six against Rangers and Accies this coming Saturday that we'd be sitting pretty for making sure of a top six finish.

But after last nights, and all the results going our way, does anyone think we are capable of making 4th place and the Europa League spot?

We've reduced the gap on the arabs to 5 points, retained the status quo in the gap to 6th and 7th and our next 3 fixtures look like this:

Accies (Away)

Hibs (Home)

Edit: Killie (Home)

In my mind, there's no reason why we can't realistically achieve 6 or 7 points from those 3 games which would stand us in good stead coming up to the split. We will then have Celtic, Hearts and Dundee utd to play before the split, the rest of the teams are bottom six. Whereas Utd. have to play Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers and us before the league splits.

I know i'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but I think we're in a very good position for a top 6 finish, and if we play well and results go our way, who knows, we might well end up in europe for the 3rd season running :P

Remember that fifth will do for Europe if two of the top four meet in the Scottish Cup final and, after the draw the other day, I actually expect us to be in Europe again next season! Certainly not counting my chickens though.

This is true... would be nice to get it by merit rather than by default though! Not that I'd be complaining mind...

For me, our challenge for the rest of the season should be to get into the top 6. Forget about Europe for now. If we make the top 6, then we can have a go in the remaining 5 games.

If i'm being honest, I don't think we'll make Europe. We've been on a great run over the last 6 games, but we could easily go on a shite run over the next 6 games and find ourselves 7th or 8th. That's just the Motherwell way!

I think to finish 6th would be a fantastic achievement after the highs & lows since the end of last season and it shouldn't be considered some sort of consolation prize.

Just don't want the fans expectations to go too high.

For me, our challenge for the rest of the season should be to get into the top 6. Forget about Europe for now. If we make the top 6, then we can have a go in the remaining 5 games.

If i'm being honest, I don't think we'll make Europe. We've been on a great run over the last 6 games, but we could easily go on a shite run over the next 6 games and find ourselves 7th or 8th. That's just the Motherwell way!

I think to finish 6th would be a fantastic achievement after the highs & lows since the end of last season and it shouldn't be considered some sort of consolation prize.

Just don't want the fans expectations to go too high.

Would agree with that. While there is an outside chance of reaching the top 4 we are only a defeat or two away from being in a real battle to finish in the top 6.

One game at a time. Saturday is massive. Hopefully the sense of injustice from a terrific performance against Rangers can galvanise the squad further and keep the good run going.

Also, if we did make the top 6, you would expect that the other one to join us along with the current top 4 would be Aberdeen or Hearts.

Which team would you prefer?

Aberdeen? We would have another game against them and another chance to get it right up that fat arrogant c*nt McGhee. Also, we could laugh at the ehhh.... fat arrogant c*nt Jeffries being back to where he belongs with his beloved dirty Jambos.

Or Hearts? A day oot at Tynecastle is always a good one, plus the look on the coupon of the aforementioned fat arrogant c*nt McGhee as "bigger and better" Aberdeen play 5 meaningless friendlies while the super 'Well challenge for Europe would bring a smile to my face!

A toughie indeed!

Praying for Rangers/Celtic/Hibs cup final so top 5 means europe. Have said I think we will finish 7th,still think tht could be the case but with a good run getting us to the top 6, how big an incentive is it to know 5th would get another euro adventure!!

I think barring a major collapse we'll be in the Top 6. I think the players are on a tremendous run and after last nights heartache/cheatery will be chomping at the bit to go out and pump Accies this weekend.

Dundee United are no great side either, very very patchy now under Houston so I don't see why we can't catch them, especially having them to play twice. It's very much do able to get 4th I think and that's where we'll be aiming for.

1 goal in about 600 mins of football conceeded, unbeaten in the league this year, all pointing towards a strong push to the top 6 which, when in, we can set about getting into Europe.

We will finish in 5th or 6th place in my opinion. Fourth a wee bit out of our reach I think and we would need to go through a crap last quarter to finish in 7th. I would be over the moon with a fifth place finish as I think that will get you European football next year.

I've just realised that we have lost 6 games all season. It would be interesting to see where would be in the Half Time league. We would probably be winning it!

Also I think Hibs is the only team we haven't taken a point from.

I think if we continue our current form 4th is a certainty.

That is a big if though and with Motherwell you never really know! so Que sera sera.

4th is definately a reasonable target, no mean feat but well worth aiming for.

Anything top 6 and it still been a no bad league campaign.

Right now looking at the league table is a bit frustrating when you think of this latest offside debacle, the one against Utd and also the missed pen the time the h**s were here before this one and how much better it might look.

We should secure a Top Six place before we start thinking about Europe but I don't really think Aberdeen or Hearts are significantly better than us and we have a 6 point led over both of them, although Aberdeen do have a game in hand (away to St. Johnstone).

We shouldn't get to cocky though.

With the upcoming fixtures Accies are a difficult team to beat despite being bottom, Hibs have pumped us twice this season and our recent record at Fir Park is dreadful against them and Kilmarnock look like they are reborn under Calderwood and won't be sitting ducks.

We still have Hearts to play a third time (I assume at Fir Park).

We're already surpassing my expectations for the season so anything more is a bonus but from early season it's been clear to me that we had the potential to go and finish top 6 and perhaps sneak a Euro spot. Whatever way it comes is welcome, no embarrassment in being handed a place by default, a jaunt is a jaunt and we haven't booked any holibags yet. :lol:

That said I honestly haven't considered Europe until I read this thread, best way methinks. If we're in there come the last 5 games then we can maybe start getting excited.