John Ruddy

Guest 'Flow

The only difference between the two is Ruddy can make up for mistakes quicker than any keeper I have seen play in the SPL. On Saturday him and Craigan got in a "you go, I go" which was all Ruddys fault (although the fans around me blamed Craigan :lol: ) but because of Ruddy's quick thinking he was able to stop it costing us (although he wouldn't have got the blame anyway) - not to mention the two horrendous flaps at the start of the game.

Lets get it right though, the only reason he'll be ahead of David James in the England line up is because James would have retired before he gets a season in the Premier League under him. If he goes back to Everton, he'll go back as third choice - maybe at best their League Cup Goalie.

Say what you like about Smith (and IMHO Marshall), until Ruddy has more than one season as a Number 1 Goalkeeper there is no way I'm going to call him world class - I've seen world class saves from League 2, even Blue Square keepers - Smith and Marshall are still the best keepers to spend some of their career at Motherwell - because of the length of time they performed for us.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit early to say he's the best goalkeeper we've ever had but there is no doubt that he is an excellent goalkeeper and has won us more than his fair share of points this season, especially up at Tannadice in September, against Aberdeen at FP, at Accies at the weekend and even against Rangers last midweek. He's not without fault either, as the Hibs game at Fir Park showed and also looked shaky dealing with crosses on a few occasions but the good definately outweighs the bad with Ruddy and I really, really hope that we can hold on to him but it will be difficult.

Is he the best I've seen? Well Sieb Dijsktra is still the best Motherwell 'keeper that I've seen and given that he was the goalkeeper during my 'early' days as a Well fan and was a bit of a 'maverick' then he still holds that accolade in my opinion.

Of the other goalkeepers we've had since, I'd say that Scott Howie was the best. He was a good shot stopper and commanded his box well and you always had confidence in him, like you do with Ruddy nowadays. I also liked Gordon Marshall when he was here and found him a solid, reliable goalkeeper who organised and commanded the defence very well indeed but age got the better of him in the end.

As for the others, Buzz was a very good shot stopper but was terrible with crosses and Andy Goram, great goalkeeper as he was in his day was well over the hill by the time he came here and was overweight, unfit and injured far too often.

And Woods, Dubourdeau and Kaven? Don't even go there.

I'm in the Ruddy - Best ever - camp.

For me, our defence was awful all season up until Broon took over (even then it has looked ropey at times). The fact we managed to get through the first 1/4 of the season undefeated was down to Ruddy and Ruddy only.

The Tannadice save is the 3rd best save I've seen a Motherwell keeper make. The best is Goram's from Henrik Larsson at Parkhead and the 2nd best was Francois DuBordeau from Billy Dodds against Rangers at home. I suppose that is proof that even shite keepers can make wonderful saves, but Ruddy is still the best I have seen in a Pink or Blue jersey!

ruddy is a better keeper than buzz but buzz gets nowhere near the level of credit he deserves. he contributed as much as anyone to getting third.

about two years ago this week he made the best save no one has ever seen up at pittodrie from a darren mackie volley when we were one nil down (we went on to equalise) then on the saturday he made 3 one on one saves at falkirk. if we lost both these games there's no way we would have got third imo.

he was motm in the lappin game at parkhead and in the game we qualified for europe he made an incredible save clawing out a shot from aluko at 1-1.

add in that he played his way into the scotland squad in his first season and that he was nearly flawless and in most top 3s for player of the year last season then we had a pretty good four years out of him.

waiting for the inevitable tribute video....

i might do it :lol:

I think Ruddy is a great keeper. I thought Buzz did quite well when he was here pulled off some saves but I was nervous when crosses came in as he would usually flap. Ruddy has had clangers and mad moments would say he is one of the best keepers in SPL. Would love it if we could keep him but think he will end up in the championship

From my distant memory

McLoy.........McRae.....Ritchie.........Fallon......

Rennie.....Hunter.....Latchford.. :lol: ..Sproat.......Walker........

Gardener........Maxwell.....Duncan.....Thomson.........

Dykstra.......Woods... :blink: ...Howie.......Goram.....Kavin... :blush: ...

Brown... :lol: ....Duberdoux... :blush: ... Marshall... :D ....Smith...... :doh: .......R :doh: uddy

Stuart Rennie/Sproat/Ruddy for me !!!!!

Seeing as this seems to be turning into who's better smith or ruddy topic, the main differences between the two are distribution, dealing with backpasses and dealing with cross balls and Ruddy is head and shoulders clear on all three IMO.

Both great shotstoppers tho! But the points i made earlier are the reasons why i think a lot of us believe that Rudds will make it big. I personally think his distribution is superb at times.

But to chuck in my quote for best goalie at fir park, Im going for Maxwell, sentimental reasons and brave as!

Doe's anyone think we should break the bank for Rudds, get him on a 3 year deal and hope he continues in the form he's in just for the potential big pay day?

Love to see it happen, but know it won't! Knowing our luck we would break the bank and his form would go down quicker than Jordan!

Graeme Smith is no where near the class of other keepers mentioned in this thread.

Yeah that and the fact that he shouted like his baws hadn't dropped - not even close to a top 4 finish in my book - Stuart Rennie, Keith MacRae and Big Sieb all in front of him, but way out in front - John Ruddy - if only I had won that Euro Millions at the weekend.

Sieb was a cult figure aye, but not as good as the misty eyed among us like to make out. I loved him, even got Sieb T-shirts made up to honour him but his actual ability was surpassed by his mythical image.

Totally agree. Am i mistaken or did Sieb not have a howlin' end to the season either the year we finished 2nd or 3rd? I seem to recall him having a holocaust in the last four games of the season. One particular missed cross ball at the edge of our box costing us the points springs to mind (either against Dundee Utd or St Johnstone). In saying that it is over 15 years ago and my memory is not what it should be.

Totally agree. Am i mistaken or did Sieb not have a howlin' end to the season either the year we finished 2nd or 3rd? I seem to recall him having a holocaust in the last four games of the season. One particular missed cross ball at the edge of our box costing us the points springs to mind (either against Dundee Utd or St Johnstone). In saying that it is over 15 years ago and my memory is not what it should be.

93/94. The Dundee Utd game ( a home defeat) was down to a Sieb error. Then we drew at Raith and lost at home to St Johnstone. Five points dropped and we finished third, four points behind Rangers. However, it was eighteen league clean sheets, and one in the league cup, by Sieb that got us that close.

For me it's a very close call between the two but Sieb was at his peak then while Ruddy will get even better.

Motherwell manager Craig Brown believes it would be great if they could retain John Ruddy permanently.

The 23-year-old goalkeeper is currently on loan from Everton and due to return to Goodison Park in the summer.

Ruddy has made 24 SPL starts for Well this season and Brown believes the former Crewe and Stockport loanee enjoys playing for the Fir Park club.

Brown admits he has been looking for possible replacements, but concedes none of his other options are in Ruddy's class.

Not as good

"We have looked at other keepers but they're not as good as John," said Brown.

"He enjoys playing for Motherwell, we have spoken to him and he loves it here.

"But he's not our player, he is Everton's. If we could keep him it would be great for the club."

I'd swap Forbes and Reynolds for Ruddy in a heartbeat. I'd carry both of them to Liverpool on my back! Putting to one side my own personal opinions of the players, which I think folk know by now, they both play in positions where we have decent depth so it would be an excellent deal for us.

True, but they may be better assets. If Forbes, for example, went to Everton, he'd be in the reserves for a bit, become a better player and probably farmed out to a League 1 or Championship team on loan, where he might do well and attract a bigger offer than the £500k they're looking for for Ruddy.

There's no way any of our current crop would be anywhere near the Everton first team like Faddy was, but a couple of them could be reasonable investments.

How about we just gave them money?

I think that's what will happen. I reckon Boyle might finance it - about £400k - and view it as an investment for himself. Stick him on a three year contract, sell him after two for five or six times what we paid for him. Boyle can get his money back and pocket a bit extra for his trouble, and the club will be left with a wee wedge and three years service from an excellent goalkeeper. Everybody's happy.

Sounds dead simple, doesn't it?

I think that's what will happen. I reckon Boyle might finance it - about £400k - and view it as an investment for himself. Stick him on a three year contract, sell him after two for five or six times what we paid for him. Boyle can get his money back and pocket a bit extra for his trouble, and the club will be left with a wee wedge and three years service from an excellent goalkeeper. Everybody's happy.

Sounds dead simple, doesn't it?

Aye but what would his wages/sign on fee be ?

Also what if he gets injured / form dips / We get relegated (Sincerely hope not)

It would be a gamble for Boyle to shell out of his own pocket. He's already been stung before.

In saying that I would be delighted if we could sign him permanently but just don't see it happening