John Ruddy

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people get the wrong impression because Ruddy comes out to take the ball more than any 'keeper we've had in recent times.

No, I get that impression because:

1/ We're only in February yet the man has kept the most SPL / Premier League clean-sheets for any one 'Well keeper in God knows how many years (at the very least 15?)

2/ He has saved us countless points with some breath-taking performances and saves

3/ His ability to pull off saves that you can only scratch you head in disbelief (for example, Bucharest (A), Dundee United (A), Celtic (H), Falkirk (A), Aberdeen (A), Hamilton (A) come to mind).

For me, and without being sycophantic, he's the best keeper I've seen play for the 'Well. The complete package and at 22, I can only agree with some other posters when they say he's going right to the very top (Premiership, possibly England)...

Really? I mean, we only got to 3rd with him in goals. Conceded around the same ammount of goals by this time the previous two seasons, the same for even the Malpas season. I mean, he only won save of the season last year. Ruddy has flapped at plenty balls coming into the box and has made a number of errors that some people seem to forget.

Really? I mean, we only got to 3rd with him in goals. Conceded around the same ammount of goals by this time the previous two seasons, the same for even the Malpas season. I mean, he only won save of the season last year. Ruddy has flapped at plenty balls coming into the box and has made a number of errors that some people seem to forget.

No where near as many as Smith.

Smith probably ranks about the same as Stevie Woods in mistakes made and crosses flapped at.

I mean, he only won save of the season last year.

And, barring any sort of wonder save, John Ruddy will win that this season for his treble save at Tannadice without question!

I liked Buzz, thought he was an excellent keeper, but John's world class! The proof will be in the pudding though and whereas Graeme went to Brighton, struggled, and had to come back up the road to Hibs - Ruds, in my opinion, will go on to great things!

Also worth mentioning that he's a big level-headed guy who (along with his family), loves it here!

The proof will be in the pudding...

Cliche bingo!

In all seriousness, I agree with 'Flow. Ruddy is almost a complete all-round 'keeper at 22 and it will take a better goalie than David James, Robert Green or Ben Foster to keep him out of the England team in five years if he develops as he can.

And, barring any sort of wonder save, John Ruddy will win that this season for his treble save at Tannadice without question!

I liked Buzz, thought he was an excellent keeper, but John's world class! The proof will be in the pudding though and whereas Graeme went to Brighton, struggled, and had to come back up the road to Hibs - Ruds, in my opinion, will go on to great things!

Also worth mentioning that he's a big level-headed guy who (along with his family), loves it here!

The 'treble save' where one of the stops was actually by Mark Reynolds :lol:

Agree with what you say though, He is a great keeper, but I can't say he's the best we've had when he's only played 20-odd games.

John Ruddy. Clearly the best keeper in the SPL and the best we have had since i went to my first game 20 years ago.

Ahead of McGregor, Alexander, Zaluska, and, Boruc? Admittedly, possibly one, two, or maybe even three on current form but not every one of those I have listed. For the record I think McGregor is a better goalkeeper.

Agree with Motherwell when he said "He is a great keeper, but I can't say he's the best we've had when he's only played 20-odd games." We had Buzz for four years and in that time there was a dip or two in form. You'll get that with any keeper. Ruddy will be prone to that too but luckily we haven't seen too much of it. It wasn't that long ago though where the guy was getting slated for being to blame for about 3 goals at Ibrox. You are only as good as your last game. Admittedly (and you can even stretch that to games) he has been fantastic recently. I just don't think he has been here long enough to call him the best ever or best in the last ten years.

Do I want him to stay though? Bloody right!! I'd like him to become the best keeper we have ever had. He certainly has that potential.

To be fair to Buzz, he was a very good keeper for Motherwell and gave us 4 years of good service. The thing is though, I think the SPL is his level, which has kinda been proved since he never even lasted a season in League 1. He's a very solid SPL keeper. No more, no less.

Ruddy though has the potential to go very far in the game, the Premiership should be a realistic target for the big man. I think that's why the fans are so excited about him and rate him highly, you could say most of that is based on potential ability (albeit his current level of ability is already fantastic)

The one thing I do notice when i'm at games between Ruddy & Smith is the size of them. I was always nervous when balls were played in the box when Buzz was there, but just looking at the sheer size of Ruddy gives you that confidence and ease. I remember the first game I saw Ruddy play, the Steaua home game, it just seemed strange seeing such a man mountain in goals after years of keepers like Woods, Goram, Kaven, Smith, Meldrum etc.

Is the Ruddy the best we've had? I would say it's too soon to say yes. He's on his way, if he stays another couple of years, then I have no doubt that he will be.

ruddy is the best keeper ive seen play for us for a big guy hes got great reflexes and everytime the balls in the air you feel confident that hell get it due to his size and build.this season with us will determine his everton future cause i dont think hell be loaned out again hell either be in davie moyes plans or theyll sell him on.sadly i think weve got no chance of keeping on a permanent basis i think hell end up playing in the championship

Ruddy is the best 'well keeper I've seen. He's a fair bit ahead of Sieb in my opinion. I think my first games at Fir Park were the last couple that Keith McRae played and the older fellas remember him as an excellent stopper.

To introduce Graeme Smith into the same conversation is a bit strange. He had his moments but he ain't in the same league as the others.

I agree. Buzz is nowhere near the keeper Ruddy is. He was a flapper who was good at shot stopping, but that's about it. The only place Buzz will be our best keeper ever is in his head. We've had tonnes of keepers better than him. He was above average at his best, that's all.

While Ruddy still has his moments of madness, he's becoming more and more solid and dependable with every game. He's a good shot stopper but also (crucially) commands the box well. (I don't think he was at fault at all for the Rangers goal. It was Reynolds ball all the way and will be forever. If Ruddy'd gone for it he'd have been acting like a mad flapper. )

Ruddy still has to eradicate the odd error from his game, and stop having the occassional rush of blood to the head. But I'd argue that he seems to be doing that now. He needs to do that consistently before he can be properly judged though, not just in half a season.

Ruddy's a class act. Pulls off some great saves and has beat Graeme Smith to the best save i've ever seen a Motherwell keeper make. ie Graeme saving the one from Danny Swanson at Fir Park.

His ability to come out for the ball, his reactions and kicking are superb (bit dodgy on Saturday mind you). The guys brilliant