Booze At The Fitba'

Haggischomper

Is it time to bring back booze?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SPL allow clubs to sell booze in the stands until 10 mins after half-time?

• Aye
    • Naw

What BigStall said is totally right

I was in the east stand near to where that cheatin get papac went down. If you took all the numpties in that area who were already blootered and let them have more there wouldve been a riot.

Sadly yes we have come a long way since the 70s/80s but theres still too many numpties that would ruin it for everyone else, and who would honestly want to bring thier kids to an enviroment like that??????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm for it for reasons of choice mainly, though really don't think it'll ever be re-introduced.

Its ironic that the guy who perhaps holds the key to its re-introduction was arrested at the last England v Scotland game allegedly for being drunk and disorderly. :P

For me its another of these inequalities, persecutions, discriminations whatever the correct term may be that football fans have to put up with in this country.

A bit like the fact that folk can get chucked out of the National Stadium for standing up at a Scotland game one Saturday when they are happy for 20,000 to cram on the pitch (in the dark) to watch a concert the next. It annoys me the way someone can toddle down to Firhill on a Friday evening and enjoy a wee refreshment whilst watching Glasgow Warriors but to attempt the same watching Thistle would end up with an evening in the cells (no tired joke required here :nod: ).

The reality I think would be that rather than sipping a beer looking forward to a scintillating 90 minutes in the sun at Fir Park, it would be more a case of scooting past the bar at 2:59pm to get to my seat to ensure a minimum time is spent in the snow/rain/gales.

But it would still be nice to have the choice.

Bring back standing but no booze, unless in controlled areas. Way too many fuds who'd get gas'd and spoil it for the rest of us.

Would they get gassed though if the booze was only availabe between, say 2.30pm and 4.10pm?

No thanks, unless only in say, Main or East. Cooper can be tha family stand wae the wains. Personally dont want it, as theres enough folk in Fir Park P15hed wen they come in without more folk gettin hammered.

Maybe they wouldn't turn up gassed if they know they can have a pint, maybe two, between 2.30 and 4.10? Maybe it'll control folks somewhat?

Nope will never happen.

Too many idiots in Scotland.

Like Andy_P has said, why is it perfectly acceptable at the rugby? I am sure there is a fair cross-section of fans who attend both rugby AND fitba'. Heck, the prawn-sandwich brigade can enjoy a wee lager or two I believe. so why the dichotomy? Why is it okay for THEM but not for US? Is it all because of what some bams did THIRTY years ago? I don't see why we can't at least have a trial and see how it goes.

The rugger chappies know how to behave. Is it really not that obvious. Unless things have dramatically changed in Scotland - the 'prawn' sanny brigade get no special treatment from the real fans - both have to get their fill of alcohol pre and post game (never during, not even at half-time). The only difference is in the location - at the stadium or at the Pub.

Anyone who attended Nancy should have first hand knowledge why it shouldn't be re-introduced - you really should have ssen the state of some of our support (and that was with NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages), topping up the copious amounts already drunk prior to KO.

No thanks from me.

Like Andy_P has said, why is it perfectly acceptable at the rugby?

For the same reason Scotland and England fans will happily mingle in the rugby stands with no segregation, Cork and Kerry fans will happily mingle in Croke Park with no segregation, etc. A far tinier minority of morons, which are easily self-policed.

For the same reason Scotland and England fans will happily mingle in the rugby stands with no segregation,

yup, I was at Twickenham for the Calcutta Cup last season, probably the best atmosphere I've experienced at a game in a long time (whenever I've been to murrayfield it had always been with the rugby club, so we had a block of tickets). Banter with the guys sitting next to you was excellent (same with on the buses back to Richmond and at the pub after!)

As one of those who's enjoying the hospitality at both rugby and football matches I voted "no" as the willingness for fans of opposing teams to mix and enjoy each other's company is certainly not evident at Motherwell matches. For as long as there are 'Well fans who react so vigorously to the prospect of opposition fans being anywhere other than the South or POD stand then the reintroduction of booze into this volatile equation is a non-starter.

I love going to gigs and getting soaked with crappy warm lager from launched plastic pint pots. it would fill me with deep joy to experience the same at Fir Park on a cold Saturday in January.

It ain't ever gonna happen.

That's no lager you are getting soaked with ;) .

:mad: You lost me there. Not catching your meaning.

Think he was referring to Andy_P's comment

Its ironic that the guy who perhaps holds the key to its re-introduction was arrested at the last England v Scotland game allegedly for being drunk and disorderly.
Would I be right in thinking this had something to do with MSP Kenny MacAskill of the SNP?

Yeah, you would be right steelman1991.

I don't think he was ever charged but yeah I was referring to MacAskill being arrested at Wembley in 1999 for allegedly being drunk and disorderly.

Very much a case of "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to this issue I believe.

Too many people getting drunk would just promote all the worst views of football: -

• Violence
  • Abuse (Sectarian or Homophobic or Just Vile Chants)
  • Piss streaming down from upper stands
  • Missiles thrown

Football is wrongly/rightly regarded as tribal and has had a reputation for all of these things in the past. Throw in football hooliganism and we have a long way to go before we are ever seen in the same light as rugby.

Either way, it's a no-brainer and no to booze at football.

How is it that a situation has come about where a few dicks (who can't handle their drink) can dictate the experience the majority of fans have at a game. Only in Scotland.

The English comments are relevent because their police and FA quickly realised if anyone kicks off they should be dealt with the same as they would be if they were on a busy Saturday high street. Life bans from football clubs provide a big deterant in England and I'd imagine it would have a big effect up here as well. This is a problem society should deal with and football clubs shouldn't shelter these retards.

I would love to have a couple of beers whilst watching a match. I should be allowed to as well.

Yeah, you would be right steelman1991.

I don't think he was ever charged but yeah I was referring to MacAskill being arrested at Wembley in 1999 for allegedly being drunk and disorderly.

Very much a case of "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to this issue I believe.

Erm, no sure MacAskill would vote it in as he seems to be right behind anything that makes us drink less as a nation. As I said earlier but, this might actually help us drink less if you take into account the fact it will reduce the binge drinking.

As for the point someone made earlier about the guys at the last Rangers game, Booze at the games would probably make no difference to them as they would probably stay outside the ground until Kick Off tanning cheap booze. By the time they would be in the ground, the bars would be closed until half time. To clarify there is 2 different arguments here. One is booze in the grounds at any time and in view of the game. The other is booze out of view served before the game and at half time (like in England). The latter I'm in favour of. If yer in favour of the former then ye should probably save yourself the admission and stay in the pub for a few hours.

How is it that a situation has come about where a few dicks (who can't handle their drink) can dictate the experience the majority of fans have at a game. Only in Scotland.

Not only in Scotland at all. Plenty of places around the world where you're not allowed to buy alcohol inside sports stadia.