Kaiser

nethertonwellfan

McGhee was right to get rid of him. Paul Quinn was at the time a better right back.

Cost us the Dundee Cup tie as Quinn was out and McLean had to be drafted in cos McGhee got rid of the only two players who could cover right back adequately. (Mensing was the other in case you don't know) So have to say I'd disagree with that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost us the Dundee Cup tie as Quinn was out and McLean had to be drafted in cos McGhee got rid of the only two players who could cover right back adequately. (Mensing was the other in case you don't know) So have to say I'd disagree with that.

that's probably right, corrigan would have came in handy when the bold quinn got his jaw broke as well. things worked out for the best that season anyway so there's not too much point in doing the what ifs.

corrigan was nowhere near the same player after the second injury. i think he's probably done a few what ifs in his head, did his injury not happen making a surge into the box trying to get on the end of a cross in a shitey last day of the season game.

Without a doubt one of Motherwell's best players since I've been attending games. He was absolutely tremendous during Terry Butcher's spell, the first season of administration he was a great player in a fairly average at best season. Always conducted himself brilliantly on and off the field, could count in your hands the amount of times he was booked, never heard of any off field antics. And contrary to what's above I'm fairly sure he signed the contract before he got injured? If my memory serves me correctly, he had signed the deal before he got injured- which was in the last game of the season against Dundee United. Who knows if he'd been better had Malpas not rushed him back, but I think at that point Malpas was prepared to use anything that might slightly improve the team, it was a shame to see him a shadow of his former self and when he left Paul Quinn was definitely the better fit for right back, but I do believe he could still have done a job at times, and a true legends departure was, quite rightly might I add, overshadowed by all that was going on at the time.

I always thought he was a reasonable player, but I reckon he became more of a 'legend' when he was out injured and rose tinted specs made everyone think he was better than we thought. Especially when the Malpish season was going so badly and everyone needed something to look forward to. Things will be better when Corrigan is back :)

Having said that, he stuck with us through the bad times and 'Well stuck with him through his bad times. All in all, a reasonable player.

McGhee was right to get rid of him. Paul Quinn was at the time a better right back. And Corrigan was not fit for any other position ahead of anyone else. It's a shame because he stayed a season too long. He didn't have it in him for that extra campaign.

Still a great player for us, and going what three full seasons or something not missing a game under Butcher?

Pretty much agree with this. I'm afraid by the time McGhee arrived at Fir Park Corrigan was finished as a top league player.

After leaving us he did nothing for a variety of clubs (Kilmarnock, Dundee, Partick). I'm not even sure if he is still at Partick, he certainly hasn't played for them for a long time.

Is it true he decked Derek Adams in a dressing room bust up?

Pretty much agree with this. I'm afraid by the time McGhee arrived at Fir Park Corrigan was finished as a top league player.

After leaving us he did nothing for a variety of clubs (Kilmarnock, Dundee, Partick). I'm not even sure if he is still at Partick, he certainly hasn't played for them for a long time.

Is it true he decked Derek Adams in a dressing room bust up?

He's still there . He was injured for a while . At the walk10for10 he had a stokkie on his arm.

Alot of people on this site have really short term memories. Average??? overrated??? your having a laugh man.

As a footballer Corrigan was a complete class act,when he moved into the centre of defence his tackling, vision and distribution was tremendous. How he didnt become an established player in the Scotland fold was astonishing. One of my favourite Well players of all time and a complete gentelmean too boot. Plus he loves the club.

How he didnt become an established player in the Scotland fold was astonishing.

Lack of pace, I would imagine. I trell you what though, there weren't half some numpties to pull on the dark blue when the Kaiser was at the top of the game and I honestly thought he was more than deserving

I'd be one of those who think people overrate Corrigan but I think that's only cos after his injury he never hit the same heights again.

Really thinking back, he was a class act. I remember he defended a three-on-one at Fir Park and put in a great tackle to win the ball and play it out of defence. As MJ says, he didn't get called Kaiser for nothing, he was a classy defender.

The thing I always remember was a high ball dropping right at our by-line with an attacker behind him...most defenders would just have shielded the ball and let it bounce out of play.

Kaiser facing the by-line and about 6 feet away from it, with the striker tight behind him...waits for it to hit the ground and just as it does he Cruyff turn's it through the legs of the guy behind him....and plays a forward pass.

I actually believe he would have come back just as strong after his injury, if he'd been allowed to wait until after his injury! In the last quarter of the Malpas season (when most folk say he'd lost it), he was playing without any rehab or reserve games to build up the injured leg again... AND broken ribs.

Guy was, and still to this day is...gutted he had to leave.

Guest 'Flow

Kaiser still ranks as probably my favourite player as a 'Well fan - even more than the likes of McFadden.

A class act; I can't believe people are saying he was over-rated. I though the complete opposite, I reckon he never got the praise or the recognition he deserved (particularly at International level).

A club legend without any shadow of a doubt. One of the very few of the 00's!

Kaiser still ranks as probably my favourite player as a 'Well fan - even more than the likes of McFadden.

A class act; I can't believe people are saying he was over-rated. I though the complete opposite, I reckon he never got the praise or the recognition he deserved (particularly at International level).

A club legend without any shadow of a doubt. One of the very few of the 00's!

Agree

Shame how it came to an end at the 'Arc

Der Bundersliga.........Boosch Booossch !

One of my favourite Kaiser memories was actually a more recent one (in terms of his Well career). When everyone was raving about how good Shunsuke Nakamura was, Celtic came to Fir Park. The Kaiser spent the next 90 minutes with Nakamura in his back pocket and frequently ripped the pish out of him with nutmegs and the like.

Such a shame to see him go but absolutely no hard feelings from this end as he had to move to keep playing. Never got the recognition his performances deserved IMO.