Jim Gannon V Craig Brown

well4eva

Again a flaw in my plan .... how about a Scouting consultancy, that way he'd be his own boss?

I reckon if he were to meet Sir Alex, Perluigi Collina and Pele, he'd offer suggestions where they all have went wrong and could make improvements. Cue Harry Endfield

You don't wanna do that .......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't think Gannon was all that bad when he was here. Aye, he seemed like a bit of an arsehole when it came to man-management but I thought he was still the man for the job.

But Brown blows all that away. Someone who knows pretty much everything he needs to and who has been through it all. Add that to the fact the players seem to love him (and Knox) and it all makes Gannon look like a knobend.

Jim Gannon in my opinion is a very good coach, I use the term coach because I think he was unable to "manage" our team. His eye for a player can't be doubted, ok Moutouakil was absolutely rotten, but other than that his signings were good. I know rumours are rumours, but by the end of his tenure you had began to hear about him ostracising just about every player. His treatment of Stephen Craigan was dispicable. In my opinion of all the times I saw him play under Gannon, he only was terrible against St. Mirren away in the cup. Hooking him at half time in games like St. Johnstone and Accies were terrible, especially when our defending suffered as a result. The way he threw away the Celtic game with his poor decisions did it for me. Meechan was out of his depth and Pollock looked like a wee boy scared. And the way Craig Brown deals with the press, and how humble he is with his achievements blows Gannon's arrogance and condescendence out the window.

Steelboy can't tell the difference on last night's evidence :ph34r:

Neither can I based on his ramblings on BBC. Brown's comments on the beeb are very reminiscent of the beginning of Gannon's unfankling post the CIS cup tie.

Broon's heading for soot jugglin classes.

"We were very poor tonight. I take responsibility for that," said the Fir Park boss after the goalless draw.

"We haven't played 3-5-2 before but it was an attempt to use the Motherwell resources to the best.

"I thought that we would save the legs but it misfired a bit. We come away with a point we scarcely deserved."

Motherwell blew the chance to draw level with fourth-placed Hibernian on 47 points, but another clean sheet for keeper John Ruddy means that only Rangers and St Johnstone have scored against the Steelmen in 11 league matches.

"St Mirren had the better of the chances but they didn't have a striker to finish," said a downbeat Brown after the match in Paisley.

"To the Motherwell fans on the road home I would say to them 'my apologies for changing the formation, asking guys to do things that are foreign to them'. "For example, asking Chris Humphrey to be a striker - he has never played there before."

"In the first half we didn't play at all. I told them that at half-time. I made two changes - I could have made seven."

Motherwell and Kilmarnock have played 29 games in the SPL, more than their rivals, and Brown feels that the run of matches is taking its toll on the energy levels of his players.

"We have one more game, against Hearts at the weekend, and then we have two weeks off," he said.

"Hopefully that break will bring us back refreshed but at the moment I am embarrassed because the good support from Motherwell didn't see Motherwell play well at all."

:doh:No Comparison can be drawn based on that

Edit: maybe at a push comparison that he used the Motherwell resources

:doh: Don't take everything so seriously Brazilian. A wee tongue in cheek post never hurt anybody.

However, apologising to the travelling fans, making early changes (made two but could have made seven), the formation no' workin / tactics misfiring, players in different positions. . . . . . . I think you might find more of a comparison can be made than you suggest.

Your blind loyaly is heart warming though - keep it up

Where do you get off having a dig/put down other fans when they disagree?

blind loyalty :lol: Miles oot, as others will testify

tongue in cheek, aye right I'm sure you were ( :P:D:lol:B-):rolleyes::doh::doh: any would suffice )

Browns comments could be from any manager who tried something different and the team didn't win

But to say you cant see the difference between Gannon and Brown :lol:

EDIT: and I've just listened back to Gannons interview after the cup loss 0-3 remember the shambles? and not one mention of his tactics or formations being wrong but that he played the appropriate players in the correct positions would sort the previous problems but there wasn't enough energy or quality, and later a couple mentions that the players just weren't good enough

Where do you get off having a dig/put down other fans when they disagree?

blind loyalty :lol: Miles oot, as others will testify

tongue in cheek, aye right I'm sure you were ( :D:D:lol::P:rolleyes::doh::doh: any would suffice )

Browns comments could be from any manager who tried something different and the team didn't win

But to say you cant see the difference between Gannon and Brown B-)

I think you'll find it was you who came in with the :lol: - but that's neither here nor there.

I agree the comments could come from any manager and are very honest comments at that from Brown. I remember thinking exactly the same thing though with Gannon's comments on the radio after the cup tie.

I can see very clearly the difference between Gannon and Brown by the way

I'm just concerned for everyone's mental health if Brown loses a few. (I say Brown loses a few as it's managers that win and lose games at our club - not players). It'll be meltdown man!

i think the difference between the two can summed be summed up by brown saying "i take responsibility", i can't recall gannon ever putting the blame for anything on himself.

it was a bit gannonesque last night. 5 at the back against a team that couldn't score in a brothel, humphrey getting a shot up front. it's never good when you go away from home and realise you're playing for a point, it always seems to happen when it's fucking freezing as well.

anyway i have full faith broon will have it sorted for saturday we'll be back to doing what we do well. :doh:

I actually wonder what Jim Gannon thinks to himself when he reads his Sunday paper and has a shooftie at the top league North of the Border and the team that was lke juggling soot.... He really had a cracking chance to make a name for himself here for a couple year bu, for whatever the reason, he's fekked it. Not to say his stock won't rise again but it just feels like he's shot himself in the foot, to me.

I actually wonder what Jim Gannon thinks to himself when he reads his Sunday paper and has a shooftie at the top league North of the Border and the team that was lke juggling soot.... He really had a cracking chance to make a name for himself here for a couple year bu, for whatever the reason, he's fekked it. Not to say his stock won't rise again but it just feels like he's shot himself in the foot, to me.

Once again Haggis you hit the nail on the head.

I think it was the whole Scottish Football thing that turned Gannon off. My guess is that he will be thinking that Well are still a poor team in a poor league. Don't think he will be starting to think that he made a mistake by leaving. (Before anybody say's 'but he was sacked', he was working his ticket from late November onwards).

My simple take on this is:

Gannon had an approach to take our squad into the 21st Century and use a young squad to play attractive passing game. He brought in good young players who he felt could do this and axed players in the current squad who he felt could not work in his system. This started off well, but after a while teams figured us out and realised that putting us under pressure they could waltz though a very thin defence. This was not the least of Gannons problems. His man management skills were very poor and the players were beginning to get disallusioned with his attitude and that the style of play he wanted us to use was not working. He was then sacked.

Craig Browns job was much more simple. He has come in and changed it back to a basic 442 tactic and has brought back Craigan and Lasley to add some expereince to the team. He already had the talent at his disposal so all he needed to do was make sure the players understood the tatics and earned his respect. Thats probably why we are 12 games unbeaten.

I just feel we never had a good enough squad to play Gannons game tactics. If it had continued I feel we would have been in a relegation battle.

Jim Gannon proved he has a good eye for a player and a strong belief in coaching young players in a fair and attractive style of football. Unfortunately he was unable to commit himself fully to fullfilling this dream for whatever personal reasons, and as stated earlier, would appear to have been working to-wards an early exit which resulted in poor man management and a string of bad results.

Craig Brown , on the other hand, came in with a smile on his face and did what all great managers do - blend players into a working unit and tell them to go out and enjoy the moment. Long may we enjoy moments like the first 30min on Saturday. I can`t wait to get to Tannadice when I hope the players will come out the traps eager to make up for their week off,

From what i've read previously i asumed when i put together this thread that people would instantly jump on the band wagon and go Gannon's shite Broons a god!

But i've been very suprised about the rational thinking behind what has been said(no offence meant with the rational thinking) I beleive it was Nethertonwellfan who said we wouldnt be where we are without either of them and while obviously other people have gone and said Broons amazing gannon was shite but the fact that even though many people hav claimed that the thought that many fans have put in and opinions that have been said are of a very high standard. Many people say we are fans the managers footie people know more the fact is some people spent most of there weekends at the fitba and now know so much that they have the fitba intelligence of some fitba managers.

Long live fans forums ;)