Graham Spiers - Complete Tosser!

hammy

This is some joker Graham Spiers, his view on the proposed 18 team SPL, and how it affects the well.

' Listen, I know exactly who an 18-club top league would suit, and why it is so popular in some quarters. It would precisely suit the flabby midriff of Scottish football — St Mirren, Motherwell, Hamilton Accies, St Johnstone, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers and the rest — the yo-yo boys of our game who either spend their time worrying about SPL survival, or bleating that they can’t quite make it. Oh, it would be great for them all right.

Craig Brown, the Motherwell manager, thinks it would be marvellous to have an 18-club division. Why? Because Motherwell could be guaranteed stashes of points against the punch-bags that are brought in, finish eighth in the league (or thereabouts) and feel complacently good about themselves and their SPL safety. This is what an expanded SPL is about. It is a charter for safety, for resting on modest laurels. '

Link to report is http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle7052395.ece

Thoughts on this complete load of garbage ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see whats particularly wrong with it? Infact i think hes right.

In a 12 team SPL (for the last few years anyway) we have been for the most part treading water either just underneath the european places or just above the relegation spots. I dont see what difference an 18 team league would make.

ye a agree lol dont like the fact that weve been mentioned with the likes of hamilton accies a dont think were in that bracket of team to be honest we have been consistently in and about the top 6 in my time

edit : i think i slightly contradicted myself there lol

I don't understand his reference to 'punch bags' or '7-1 scorelines'. Uppter 1st division teams tend to hold there own against any of the SPL teams in cup competitions so there no quite the gap in standard he's trying to make out. Twat.

Who was the last team to come up from the 1st Div and go straight back down ? I can't remember :wacko: In recent times, Caley, St Mirren, Falkirk and Accies have all managed to survive their 1st year in SPL, coz the SPL is pisssh :doh:

Also Mr Speirs, what makes us a "Yo-Yo" team ? Only the Mauld Firm, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, ( I think), have accumulated more seasons in the top flight than us.

You may have your reasons for being against an extension to the current set-up but being personal against Clubs, who despite adversity, seem to do quite well is very poor journalism and puts you in the Chick Young club.

Who was the last team to come up from the 1st Div and go straight back down ? I can't remember :wacko: In recent times, Caley, St Mirren, Falkirk and Accies have all managed to survive their 1st year in SPL, coz the SPL is pisssh :doh:

Also Mr Speirs, what makes us a "Yo-Yo" team ? Only the Mauld Firm, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, ( I think), have accumulated more seasons in the top flight than us.

You may have your reasons for being against an extension to the current set-up but being personal against Clubs, who despite adversity, seem to do quite well is very poor journalism and puts you in the Chick Young club.

Technically Gretna...but aside from them I think it was St Mirren when they were in the SPL the time before this.

These guys have got to be controversal. It keeps them in a job. He probably does not even believe in what he is writing.

We really have an ten team league given that the Old Firm take up the Top 2 places every year. Two seasons ago we finished top of the eight team SPL with very limited resources. That's a fantastic achievement and certainly much better than any achievement of some pretensious journo who contributes nothing to the common good.

If he wants to have a go at someone it should be Rangers. It amazes me that they can continually serve up awful football with the big budgets they have. That is a team who are happy to use the 10 SPL teams as punch bags and just scrape past the finishing line every year giving little in the way of entertainment in the process.

The fact in the last 8 or so seasons we've finished in just about every position from 3rd to 11th.

What's wrong with that? Is that not what makes a league fresher and more exciting. What does he want? That every team finish in the same position every year. The guys arguement is shit. The Times, your having a laugh!

The fact in the last 8 or so seasons we've finished in just about every position from 3rd to 11th.

Much like Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs.

I don't get his point? If he is suggesting a gap in quality then he's talking shite. If he's talking about a gap in club stability then he's talking shite (maybe with the exception of Hibs and Dundee United).

This statement implies that this tosser considers Kilmarnock & Falkirk to be better than Motherwell seeing as he doesn't mention them in the clubs that he considers to be pish. And of all the teams he mentions why does he pick Motherwell who are comfortably 5th as the team that would finish 8th & be happy. Can't remember the last time we finished as low as 8th. Nothing wrong with his general statement as much of it makes sense but he clearly has no knowledge of Motherwell's form over the last few seasons as we would not be happy to finish 8th.

I have had the misfortune to have been in his company acouple of times...............................

he is a complete dickhead !!

He knows fuckall about football, upper class twit !

Is a friend of Tam Cowan......proabably having a go at him !

And he wears jumbo cords !!!!!! :doh:

Nowt wrong wi' jumbo cords worn in the correct manner. Spiers admittedly doesn't wear them in the correct manner so yes, he's a dickhead. :doh:

And calling us a yo-yo club is plain silly considering we haven't been relegated in over 25 years. That's an achievement in itself for a club our size.

Nothing. Just saying that him calling us a "yo-yo team" is totally justified.

Apart from the fact that's not the definition of a yo-yo club in terms of Football. There isn't such a thing as a yo-yo club in the SPL by the accepted definition, as the First Division is too tight. Although I think you'll find there will probably have a fair few come the time if we get an 18 team league.

He omitted to mention Walter Smith called for it too. Mowbray is too busy crying into his crunchie nut and checking the classified ads.

He won't slag off the old firm, where we he go for his bacon roll and lunch 5 days a week?

:doh: The first line of the article is "Walter, stop talking nonsense"