European Football

GazzyB

I know there's a long long way to go in the season, but I've seen the topic of European football in 2010/11 crop up in a couple of threads, thought I'd start a thread on it.

I know a lot of people like to take it a game at a time, but I'm getting right excited at the prospect at another jaunt across Europe. As I say, there is a long long way to go, but just now we must be looking good. If I'm not mistaken it's 1st and 2nd into the CL (I heard the other day that that might be changing to 1 in the CL, is this right?), 3rd and 4th into the Europa League and either the cup winner/finalist/5th place into the Europa as well, depending on the positioning of the finalists. As Dundee Utd, Celtic, Hibs & Rangers (I think, although I could be wrong about them 4) are all in the Scottish Cup at the moment, it looks very likely that a top 5 finish would see us qualify for European football again.

Rangers and Celtic are looking likely to take the Champions League places. We're 4 points behind Dundee Utd in 4th, 3 behind Hibs in 5th and 7 above Hearts in 6th. What with us playing Hearts at home in 5 days time and the form we're in, I think a win and we could seriously have one hand on the prize. What with Hearts to play us away from home, the league leaders and with an Edinburgh derby pre-split, we must be in with a right good chance of securing a top 5 spot very soon.

Thoughts?

And can a mod fix the typo in the title please.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the season after next its only 1st that gets in the cl at the early q rounds and 2nd,3rd and cup winner/finalist in the europa.as for us this season i think if we do well in the next 2 games we'd be almost certain to finish at least 5th barring a disaster.assuming we finish 5th we obviously need 2 of the top 4 to be in the cup final.tbh as long as we get past the early rounds i'd rather we finish 5th and get possibly 4-6 games.if we finished 3rd we might only have 2 games and its a lot better watching competitive games to pre season friendlies.the money the club would bring in from 3 home euro games would cancel out any loss from the position in the league aswell.

I fully expect us to be playing European football next season, and that worries me. I hate allowing myself to think like that, but I can't help it.

Ya fud you've just jinxed it!! :)

I still don't think we'll be in europe unless the place goes to 5th in the league. Our run has to come to a halt at somepoint, and I see that happening against st mirren unforunately. Ihope we can, but I can't see us sustaining our challenge against dundee utd and hibs

There were folks on here this time last season saying they weren't bothered about qualifying for Europe.

Love the European games and would be buzzing if we had some to look forward to next season.....however we aren't there yet.

It would be interesting to see Craig Brown taking a team into Europe. You never know with all his experience of top level football we might get a few rounds in depending on the draw.

Its very much up for discussion as far as I'm concerned. A Top Six place is pretty much guaranteed and with a seven point lead over the Jambos we must surely be aiming to catch either Hibs, Dundee United or possibly both.

Its very possible that 5th will be enough for a Europa League place, but that would mean starting the season in early July again. This time we should be better placed to get off to a good start, and who knows how we could perform with a settled line-up.

There is plenty to play for in our remaining eleven games, who'd have thought that after the Inverness cup tie?!!

I know there's a long long way to go in the season, but I've seen the topic of European football in 2010/11 crop up in a couple of threads, thought I'd start a thread on it.

I know a lot of people like to take it a game at a time, but I'm getting right excited at the prospect at another jaunt across Europe. As I say, there is a long long way to go, but just now we must be looking good. If I'm not mistaken it's 1st and 2nd into the CL (I heard the other day that that might be changing to 1 in the CL, is this right?), 3rd and 4th into the Europa League and either the cup winner/finalist/5th place into the Europa as well, depending on the positioning of the finalists. As Dundee Utd, Celtic, Hibs & Rangers (I think, although I could be wrong about them 4) are all in the Scottish Cup at the moment, it looks very likely that a top 5 finish would see us qualify for European football again.

Rangers and Celtic are looking likely to take the Champions League places. We're 4 points behind Dundee Utd in 4th, 3 behind Hibs in 5th and 7 above Hearts in 6th. What with us playing Hearts at home in 5 days time and the form we're in, I think a win and we could seriously have one hand on the prize. What with Hearts to play us away from home, the league leaders and with an Edinburgh derby pre-split, we must be in with a right good chance of securing a top 5 spot very soon.

Thoughts?

And can a mod fix the typo in the title please.

will you go ?

That news is awesome i'll be watching the scottish cup results with bated breath now!!!!!! :unsure:

Just watch for Ross Co to beat Hibs or Killie to beat Celtic........................Would never happen unless of course we as the Well have a good reason for wanting these results. I am sure we have been here before and seen teams outside the top 4 get to the final.

Semi final line up of (hopefully):

Celtic

Hibs

Rangers/DDee Utd

Dundee

Dundee on their day could take out either Hibs or DDee Utd. 1st time I would be rooting for a non old firm semi final.

Still a long way to go - but I would be confident of at least finishing 5th if we win the next two games.

Its very possible that 5th will be enough for a Europa League place, but that would mean starting the season in early July again. This time we should be better placed to get off to a good start, and who knows how we could perform with a settled line-up.

Does that mean off to Airdrie again for the home games? Major improvement needed on our pitch for UEFA to allow Euro games on it.

Does that mean off to Airdrie again for the home games? Major improvement needed on our pitch for UEFA to allow Euro games on it.

It'll be fine by next season. Not as if we'll be starting mid july like we did this year. We'll go into either the 3rd qualifying round or 1st round proper, so it'll be an august start.