Fraser Or Ruddy

decorator

Whit!!! the guy was a feckin bomscare in any game he played before Ruddy arrived. Hence why Gannon saw this as a major priority and got Ruddy in asap.

His kicking today wasn't all pish but a good few times when nearly every player on the park had moved over towards the POD stand looking for the kick out he fecked the ball to the other side of the park where there was only a lonely Falkirk player who unexpectantly received the ball.

He will need to improve a hell of a lot before he gains any confidence in my opinion, but to be fair he did make a really good save today.

Nearly everyone of Frasers kicks today found John Sutton.

Ruddy has cost us 3 goals in 2 games IMO and if he had an injury why play him?

Like a few others I have backed fraser from day 1. Made no mistakes that I have seen and is more than adequate for this level.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whit!!! the guy was a feckin bomscare in any game he played before Ruddy arrived. Hence why Gannon saw this as a major priority and got Ruddy in asap.

Aye? 2 goals let in in 2 games, hardly 'bombscare' material.

Hardly got him in asap, he was offered to us via Hutchinson's agent. Fraser is a quality keeper and no worse than Runny, geez peace.

Merit to both arguments, Fraser would benefit definitely, however its not like last season, we aren't limited to 7th position no matter how we play. Ruddy has a certain presence between the sticks partly due to his physical size and I feel gives the players around him assurance he'll be there come what may.

He has been outstanding this season and been touted for player of the season by many on here for his record and displays. For what he's brought to the team and as a bit of loyalty we should allow him to play a full season (I remember reading the comments he made in his interview a few months back that he hadn't had a steady run anywhere - loan here, short spell there) is justified. At least allow to have it on his CV as it appears he may be touting it in the forthcoming months.

Plus considering our final SPL league place determines our "prize money" in multiples of £75k per place a 4th place finish over a 5th or 6th could cost us as much as £150k in revenue. Nobody could argue that some of his displays this season have gained us points we would have otherwise lost. With 7 games left, by including him I think we could at least gain one league position due to his presence and intervention. The extra £75k would help cover or at least offset what we've contributed to his salary this season.

However I don't like this "5th place, Scottish cup finalists go our way" chat. We have a group of players who have it within them to attain 3rd place if we regain the form of 3 weeks ago. Can't help feeling the week off, lets go to the races, top six assured has had an effect on the drive and performance level of many.

No offence to Fraser he did well today but I get a little butterfly when he was called on, however if it was Ruddy I'd be blazee about him dealing with it and already looking to see who was free to start the next attack.

He will need to improve a hell of a lot before he gains any confidence in my opinion, but to be fair he did make a really good save today.

Ditto. If he's our number one next season we've got big problems.

Aye? 2 goals let in in 2 games, hardly 'bombscare' material.

Hardly got him in asap, he was offered to us via Hutchinson's agent. Fraser is a quality keeper and no worse than Runny, geez peace.

If Fraser is no worse than Ruddy then why does Craig Brown continually pick a keeper who is only on loan to us as opposed to a keeper who is actually ours? Out of interest how many full games have you actually seen Fraser play to come to this conclusion?

Well he has clearly seen him at a similar percentage of games as he has seen Ruddy play, what a stupid point to make.

Ruddy has made some spectacular saves this season, he's also made a habbit of being lobbed easily for such a big guy. He also has gotten away with murder at times by dilly dallying with backpasses. He's also shown that his judgement can be suspect when it comes to rushing out. He did it twice against St. Mirren and once against Rangers. He also did it last week and this week, leading to goals. He definately has flaws.

Fraser has not had the chance to prove himself and hasn't done anything wrong. Just because Ruddy has played rather well doesn't make Fraser pish.

Fraser has also dealt with injury this season.

I'd have thought you would have had to have seen him in a similar number of games as Ruddy to make the judgement that he's just as good.

Fraser has made zero mistakes as a Motherwell player and let in 3 goals, none of which were his fault. I'm not saying he wont make mistakes, but I'd rather we gave him the chance to do so, than playing a guy who will be Everton's 3rd choice next year.

Yes, we've had limited opportunity to assess him. From what I've seen though he's a decent shot stopper but poor in the air.

Before he joined us, he was dropped by Inverness for some poor performnces, most notably at Ibrox. Late last season he was recalled due to injury and at Fir Park made a hash of a cross which led to our goal. In the Llannelli game at Airdrie he cost us in the air and looked very shaky. In Wales, ok as a shot stopper but poor in the air. JG soon assessed him, quite bluntly I'm led to believe, as not being of Motherwell standard. He was called in against Accies and did a reasonable job. He came on yesterday, had a couple of good saves, made a hash of a clearance and didn't have much else to do.

Thats my evidence base and it doesn't inspire me.

On this topic I tend to agree that Ruddy should keep playing if fit as for me just shades it over Fraser in terms of ability. He has a more commanding presence due to his height and is always fairly vocal with the defenders.

What I would ask is how much of Ruddys confidence and presence has come from being on a good run. For instance for the goal yesterday he was a bit hasty coming out. It will be interesting to see how he performs if we continue the dodgy form of the last two games.

I am not overly concerned at Fraser being main keeper next season he performed fairly well today. Whilst his kicking was not the best I have seen, there were plenty of players in the team today whose pasing was poor and a lot of the time over a far shorter distance than Fraser was kicking the ball.

Yes, we've had limited opportunity to assess him. From what I've seen though he's a decent shot stopper but poor in the air.

Before he joined us, he was dropped by Inverness for some poor performnces, most notably at Ibrox. Late last season he was recalled due to injury and at Fir Park made a hash of a cross which led to our goal. In the Llannelli game at Airdrie he cost us in the air and looked very shaky. In Wales, ok as a shot stopper but poor in the air. JG soon assessed him, quite bluntly I'm led to believe, as not being of Motherwell standard. He was called in against Accies and did a reasonable job. He came on yesterday, had a couple of good saves, made a hash of a clearance and didn't have much else to do.

Totally agree with all of this.

I don't see why anyone uses a Motherwell players performances for other teams to justify the opinion that he's been shite for us.

Especially when they change the facts. Brought back due to injury - eh no he wasn't. He was brought back because Butcher thought if Fraser helped ICT stay in the SPL, he would change his mind and re-sign with ICT. Also his mare at Ibrox, the game that was six going on 15 - mainly so low because of Fraser. Fraser was dropped due to his commitment to Motherwell, not because of Ibrox.

Fraser is a good SPL keeper. Ruddy will be playing lower end Championship/upper end League 1 next season. Unless Fraser has done something wrong I see no reason why he should lose his place which he now technically owns due to injury.

Especially when they change the facts. Brought back due to injury - eh no he wasn't. He was brought back because Butcher thought if Fraser helped ICT stay in the SPL, he would change his mind and re-sign with ICT. Also his mare at Ibrox, the game that was six going on 15 - mainly so low because of Fraser. Fraser was dropped due to his commitment to Motherwell, not because of Ibrox.

Fraser is a good SPL keeper. Ruddy will be playing lower end Championship/upper end League 1 next season. Unless Fraser has done something wrong I see no reason why he should lose his place which he now technically owns due to injury.

That isn't the way it works. You play your best players. If someone fills in due to injury they invariably get replaced whe the injured player returns. That will happen in this case as well.

Likewise

I don't doubt for a second that Fraser could be an adequate SPL keeper, he is yet unproven in my eyes. However, I think that Ruddy is far more than adequate for SPL level, and him standing out has proved vital to us in many games this season, and I think not playing him between now and the end of the season would be plain stupid, as Europe is far from confirmed. If Ruddy is fit he'll play, simple as.

Well he has clearly seen him at a similar percentage of games as he has seen Ruddy play, what a stupid point to make.

Ruddy has made some spectacular saves this season, he's also made a habbit of being lobbed easily for such a big guy. He also has gotten away with murder at times by dilly dallying with backpasses. He's also shown that his judgement can be suspect when it comes to rushing out. He did it twice against St. Mirren and once against Rangers. He also did it last week and this week, leading to goals. He definately has flaws.

Fraser has not had the chance to prove himself and hasn't done anything wrong. Just because Ruddy has played rather well doesn't make Fraser pish.

Fraser has also dealt with injury this season.

Surely he'd have to see him actually have a similar number of appearances rather than just see him at a similar percentage of games? Not sure if you were just making a crap point or trying to have a play on words but either way it just comes across as a pathetic attempt to stick up for your mate.

It's very honourable of you to try to defend mon_da_well at every turn. I can't believe how many opinions you two share, you must be like 2 wee peas in a pod!

We share a lot of opinions. Imagine that. Friends being like minded.

I didn't try to defend him, I defended the point made about Fraser, a point that I have made

countless times on here. I came on here thinking to myself,

"Fraser had a good game yesterday however, i'm going to change my tune because maybe some people will say he's good now so I need to argue more!"

Then upon seeing Mon_Da_Well's post, I immediately reverted to my original opinion.

Yeah, that must've been what happened.

You better shut up. You can't say that about Fraser. How dare you support a Motherwell player.

Fuck sake '84 -_-

Good logic, but we are paying i assume BIG wages for Ruddy. I'd personally give Fraser the Celtic game and maybe sub Ruddy every other game if he is fit. As long as we get 4th.

Fraser played well against Falkirk although he didnt have much to do.