Post Split Fixtures

Iain7_mfc

The biggest irony is the fact that everyone goes on about getting in the top 6 to bring in more revenue. Yet quite clearly on this occasion we have penalised and then some. To take away a home game v old firm is bad enough, but to play the remaining home games at quite frankly bizarre times, means that we would have actually been rewarded has we finished in the bottom 6. £ home games against teams who are fighting for their lives with larger crowds as a result.

On this basis alone no-one should ever talk about increasing revenue from incresed attendances. Sure we will get greater money from finishing at least 6th as we can go no lower, but pretty much it sucks.

Do agree with one minor point from a post above and that is had we had an easier run in we would no doubt feck it up. 3 points v DDee Utd and not losing away at Tynie will se us finish no lower than 5th IMHO.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats just Paranoia speaking Rickoza, its happened

and as Scarecrow indicated its usually down to us and Aberdeen or the likes jumping in and out the top six, from colleagues I know Rangers have been to Pittordrie three times a season

rangers have never not played 19 home 19 away. FACT.

they're 99% guaranteed the league before may this year and they still get preferential treatement. just switching the last fixture from ibrox to fir park makes things much fairer but the spl wouldn't countenance it. :lol::wallbash::wallbash:

thats just Paranoia speaking Rickoza, its happened

No, it is fact. Neither Rangers not Celtic have played anything other than 19-19 each and every season.

aye apologies :lol:

I've misinterpreted the rantings of the h**s i'm with, they also rage about the split having had to go to Pittodrie 3 times in a season and also Easter road from their memories

but the general point of a 38 game league due to the split will never be a fair and proper competition

the only way to change it is for the clubs themselves to act!

we've definately been dealt a very harsh set this time, a harsh financial impact at that, but set that against survival when we were dealt a lucky hand on a few occasions.

I'd much prefer a simple level playing field year in year out.

No worries. It is the case, though, clubs can't moan about having to play 20 away and 18 home when they let the bigot brothers away with it each and every season.

Sent an email to them-

Dear Sir/Madam I am a Motherwell fan and after learning that due to the post-split fixtures outcome Motherwell will play 18 home games and 20 away.I am very annoyed because once again you have shown that you dont care for any other team in the league except from Celtic and Rangers.You have made the fixtures up to suit them and just fitted the other 10 teams in where necessary.Playing only two home games is not okay especially when we will play Celtic away from home for the THIRD time this season.This means that not only will less Motherwell fans see their team play in one of the best games of the split but Motherwell Football Club will miss out on the revenue that would have brought a good amount of money for the club during this economic crisis.Most,if not all,Motherwell fans are unhappy about the situation and I dont think this will be the last time you will hear about it.I would be very grateful if you could reply with only even a few words to explain the problem.

Yours Faithfully

will be interesting to see if anybody get a reply or will they just ignore the few dozen complaints by these diddy fans?i'd bet if 1 of the OF was in that position they'd have 1000s of complaints and would be forced to do something about it.how can the other teams ever hope to compete with the OF when we don't have a level playing field on any major decisions like this? :lol:

To whom it may concern

I have no doubt I won't be the only Motherwell fan contacting you after the release of the post-split fixtures to complain at such an illogical set of fixtures handed to my team. It wouldn't be the first time either.

You have given us an uneven split of 18 home and 20 away games again obviously.

You have denied us a final game against one of the Old Firm which is considered normal and one of the alleged benefits of finishing in the top 6.

You have denied us a Saturday home game which will deprive us further of much needed income in terms of attendance figures. TV money is no compensation for an empty stadium against another provincial club.

You have given our rivals for the European places an advantage with this unequal set of matches which makes a mockery of the term 'competition.'

Change the split to a proper league format please. Even the Swiss, who were the model we copied for this daft format I believe, have binned this idea.

Yours

fatcalf

There's my tuppence worth going in.

I do believe we need the club(s) to get in on it though, they are the SPL allegedly so no use just us complaining.

Here's what I will be sending around all and sundry on behalf of the Trust and it's members...

To whom it may concern,

Once again the SPL's 12 team format has caused an imbalance in home and away fixtures for 2 of the clubs in the division.

Motherwell have been the club to draw the "Short Straw" in that we lose a home game this season. In a Luck of the Draw situation, someone in the top 6 had to lose a Home game. We would like to seek clarification from the SPL that all top 6 member clubs have been treated equally in this fixture selection and have not given an advantage in particular to Celtic or Rangers.

Given that we have lost a home game, our members are angry that no concession was made to ensure one or both of our home games are scheduled for 3pm on a Saturday. We would like to seek clarification from both the SPL and Motherwell F.C. as to who's decision this was to schedule both our home games for ridiculous times outwith the normal SPL schedule of matches.

Our main concern is that our Season Ticket members have, through no fault of their own, lost a home game from their allocation of matches thus devaluing their purchase. We would like to seek clarification from the SPL and Motherwell F.C. if any compensation for the season ticket holders will be forthcoming for this? We would suggest that if nothing is done, you will notice a further drop in season ticket sales for next season when our club can ill afford it.

Finally, we are baffled by the decision to schedule the Hibs home game to clash with the upcoming General Election. Whilst most Motherwell supporters will be able to take their vote and get to the game, our opponents fans will face a struggle to register their vote between getting away from work and arriving at Fir Park. This will therefore further reduce any potential revenue Motherwell would receive from away ticket sales as many will simply stay away.

This bizarre and baffling set of fixtures is just the latest in a long line of poor treatment of football supporters across Scotland and unless the SPL and it's member clubs take some urgent action on their priorities, the game will die.

There's my tuppence worth going in.

I do believe we need the club(s) to get in on it though, they are the SPL allegedly so no use just us complaining.

Spot on! If the Club dont lodge a formal complaint then why should we bother as obviously no one will give two hoots!

Would be disappointed if the Club dont complain on both fronts; the financial impact on MFC and the unfair treatment of the fans due to the scheduling.

It's bad enough that season ticket holders are losing out due to one less home game. You'd think that it would at least be compensated by scheduling one or both home games on a Saturday at 3pm.

I don't think I've ever been to a football match at 16:15 on a Sunday in my life.

I don't think I've ever been to a football match at 16:15 on a Sunday in my life.

in no way justification

But what time was the kick off when we went to Ibrox in 1997 and Owen Coyle wrecked their title winning party, 2nd last game of the season

I'm sure it was a Sunday of a Bank holiday weekend was it not? and I remember walking back into town for a sesh

Copy of my e-mail to the SPL , everyone should send one.

As a Motherwell fan and season ticket holder ( 2 adults and 2 kids £635 per season ) can I ask how you can justify us only viewing 18 home games this season. The current ticket prices are prohibitive for a family of four travelling to away fixtures hence we buy our season ticket expecting to see our fair share. I cannot help but feel that once again you have pandered to the old firm with Celtic only visiting Fir Park once this season and you compound the farce by asking Hibs to visit us three times. Furthermore the two post split fixtures we have are a Sunday at 4.15 and a Thursday night ( Election night!!!! ) , thats the way to encourage the fans back. Would it be fair to say that long before the split these fixtures are worked out and Motherwell gaining a top six finish has once again upset the apple cart.A reply with your thoughts would be appreciated although I fail to see how you can justify your actions. In todays tough economic climate I would have thought that a family such as my own should be being persuaded to attend fixtures and not left with second thoughts about renewing for next year due to the farcical conditions this league appears to allow.

Kind regards

So it was, as I say went back into the Shoe for a session So I'm a bit blurry on the details, quite a good atmosphere despite us ruining their party

05/05/1997 15:00 50059 inside the ground

Edit: now was the 5th May a Sunday or was a Monday

As a Motherwell season ticket holder I have felt compelled to email you my thoughts on our set of fixtures.

My understanding is that clubs are 'seeded' to finish in the same section of the league that they did during the previous season, if this happens then all teams have 19H and 19A matches throughout the season.

This season Motherwell have bettered and Aberdeen have done worse than their 'seeding' would have indicated, however Motherwell have ended up with 18 home matches and Aberdeen have 20 home matches, which has rewarded failure on their part by an added home fixture and any subsequent financial income that come with that. Motherwell have lost a home match and have also lost a post split match against Celtic and Rangers and the finance income that goes along with both of these issues.

Our two home matches post split have been have been scheduled for 16:15 next Sunday and 19:45 on General Election night, again this will have an financial impact on my club. It strikes me as very odd indeed that the SPL and television companies can schedule these games for these dates and times, but 'certain other games' have to be played at particular times as ordered by Strathclyde Police.

Season ticket holders like myself are the lifeblood of clubs everywhere, when the SPL start 'jigging' fixtures around to suit their own agenda, to the disadvantage of people like myself, then the same people may start to look at their annual investment in a very different light.

It is time to get rid of this farcical split.

I completely agree with everyone here, and good work with the emails folks. Don't expect an answer though!

Personally I would love to know Motherwell's reaction. I imagine there is a degree of unhappiness at what we've been given, but if we can take this perceived sense of injustice and use it as motivation to get 4th place, then so be it.

Finally, fuck the SPL.

First of all im glad that only 2 games on our sandpit. With us chasing europe and the league decided we were always going to be fair game for Setanta. Sunday at 4-15 is pish. Thursday night is ok. We'd've fecked it up if we had a decent run in of fixtures we're at our best when we're up against it...BRING IT ON. :lol: .

Good to see so many sending in their thoughts to the SPL. Whilst I expect nothing to chnage and probably little response at least it lets them know how strong we feel about this outcome. It is not moaning for moanings sake. We have effectively been punished for finishing in the top 6 whilst Aberdeen have been rewarded for finishing in the bottom 6. It makes a mockery of the whole ethos of the split and supposed increased revenue that comes with a top 6 finish.

I suspect that the state of our pitch was a contributory factor, that and we are the smallest of the top 6 clubs, so will have less fans to complain and make noise.........It will be interesting to see what the clubs response to this will be, after all they are as much victims of this scenario as the fans if not more so.

How have the other clubs outside the OF faired in this? I mean with regard to total number of home/away games and visits from Rangers or Celtic. I could go through the fixture lists but canny be bothered.

Edit: Aye, just read 19 - 19.