Fans Let The Team Down

steelboy

I will agree with the sentiments of the 1st post. This club and this team does deserve not a better support, but larger support.

For all those who are on this board moaning about the standard of football, consider very carefully where we could have been this year and look to teams like Dunfermline and Dundee and where they have spent the last few seasons. I find it unbelievable - but not at all surprising - that there are some who moan about the qulaity of our football - what do you expect from a club who is struggling to get home gates above 4000.

Motherwell have achieved top 6 - not that it matters - but we could be where Aberdeen are right now!!! We have outperformed this season and hopefully may yet get a place in the Europa cup. I am far from being a happy clappy - but come on GET REAL........

As for crowds - around the late 80's when we got out of the 1st division when our gates were anything from 1500-3000 at best, we took a few seasons to lift that to 3-4000, then by the early 90's we were getting 6-8000 - GO figure...........

The support is there and hopefully in time the economy will pick up and more people can afford to go and watch a game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who are on this board moaning about the standard of football, consider very carefully where we could have been this year and look to teams like Dunfermline and Dundee and where they have spent the last few seasons. I find it unbelievable - but not at all surprising - that there are some who moan about the qulaity of our football - what do you expect from a club who is struggling to get home gates above 4000.

Its not the standard of the football that is annoying, its that the price of football does not reflect the standard of football we are going to watch.

There's many reasons why our support is poor, but one of the most modern ones is that going to the football just doesn't have the same appeal to people as it used to and there are now many other ways for folk to entertain themselves on a Saturday afternoon when crowds will be at their best, whilst midweek fixtures will always see a lower crowd anyway. That's just life I'm afraid and it's not just Motherwell FC who are suffering as a result of this.

Personally speaking, I go to all the home games that I can and whatever away games I can afford, but the one ground I will not ever set foot inside is Celtic Park, as I refuse to pay the ridiculously high price to sit behind a pillar and risk being huckled or chucked out for standing up to let someone else out. Then you've got hundreds of smug faced, arrogant bastard Celtic fans all around you with their massive chips on their shoulders, so Parkhead is a no go area for me.

I was at the game last night, and have hardly missed one in the last few years, but and I can't say I agree with the opening post for MANY of the reasons given. Everyone has different priorities and financial restrictions and I am well aware my attendance of all home and away games will need to be adjusted in the future. For what reason I don't know but it will surely come. For me the team let the fans who did go down by folding like a house of cards as soon as they scored. To come out of this season with (so far) no wins over the OF is a joke considering they have their worst teams in recent memory and we SHOULD have beat Rangers twice and again blew a great chance last night. I'd imagine that the fact we more often than not lose in Glasgow (our last visit was a 6-1 drubbing) may have an impact on people attending as well. Just my opinion mind.

it was a bit steaming when i started this thread but it was more a reaction to the threads having a go at the players rather than any suprise/disapointment at the support we took last night. i was a bit shocked when i saw some of the threads as i felt walking out the game that the team had done well and there wasn't as far as i could tell any discontent at the game (except from at JOB for running to robbie keane at the final whistle).

there are however serious questions to be asked about what sort of standards we can demand of the club when we have what looks like a declining regular support. it seems as support as a single entity right now we're demanding more than we're willing to put in.

Last night is the first time this season I have made the conscious decision not to go to a domestic game. The previous games I have missed were due to work or health (only four all season). However for all the tea in china I will not pay £25 to watch a game I can watch for free in my own living room. The fact its Celtic doesn't bother me, the fact it was Tuesday night doesn't bother me. Do the team deserve a better support than that? Well actually they are professionals and whether there are 5000 or 5 of us they should be doing the same job. Support is a bonus and any right minded individual can understand why that did not happen last evening.

Weather conditions, playing on a beach, overpriced, playing the same opposition over and over again, players just going through the motions, authorities frisking you before you enter the stadium or basically treating you like a criminal, game live on TV, stupid kick off times, are just some of the reasons why fans are staying away.

This is not just Motherwell's problem.

Last night is the first time this season I have made the conscious decision not to go to a domestic game. The previous games I have missed were due to work or health (only four all season). However for all the tea in china I will not pay £25 to watch a game I can watch for free in my own living room.

Paying Murdoch £30-odd quid a month for the privilege of watching his programmes is hardly 'free', mind you.

I was there last night and thought the team let the fans who were there down. Celtic were there for the taking but to many players didnt perform. As for fans not turning up. Its alot of money midweek to go and watch a game thats on tv. 100% understand why many folk stayed away.

I thought the definition of a football fan is someone who follows a team and actually goes to games. There's people on this thread who've stated they dont and wont ever watch Motherwell because of various reasons. Good job summer's comin get the garden hoses out folks and join a gardening forum this one's for MOTHERWELL FANS!!! I excuse people who are skint and maybe find it difficult to get to games. But the rest...I hear Dobbies is open late on a saturday off ye pop!!! :huh:

You dont have to go to a game to be called a supporter.

For many and its already been said, going to the fitba is an expensive business these days, especially if you have kids who want to go as well. Going to Aberdeen or Dundee United, with transport costs, lunch, programme etc, and its the best part of £100 quid just to follow your team. Not many people can afford to do that week in week out, especially with so many other things to budget for.

If the gate prices followed inflation, we would be paying much, much less than what we do at the moment and untimately, more fans would probably go to games.

People go to whatever games they want. If they choose not to go to certain games for whatever reason, then thats their choice, and they shouldnt be berated for it.

I thought the definition of a football fan is someone who follows a team and actually goes to games. There's people on this thread who've stated they dont and wont ever watch Motherwell because of various reasons. Good job summer's comin get the garden hoses out folks and join a gardening forum this one's for MOTHERWELL FANS!!! I excuse people who are skint and maybe find it difficult to get to games. But the rest...I hear Dobbies is open late on a saturday off ye pop!!! :unsure:

maybe that is your definition but i agree with what tam cowan said at the weekend that going to the football is a habit now. i can't remember the last game i really looked forward to attending

I was out on Friday night and was chatting about the amount of money we spend on our pastimes. So I worked out what I have spent following Motherwell this season (just for the sake of simplicity I have taken petrol costs for games I have driven to and ones I have been driven to I have ignored)

Season ticket - £250

3 x European games - £45

St Johnstone (a) - £20 entry about £10 petrol

Aberdeen (a) - didn't go

Dundee Utd (a) - £19 and about £12 petrol

Celtic (a) - didn't go

St Mirren (a) - £20 for ticket, £3 for train

St Mirren (a) - £15 ticket, £5 bus

Hamilton (a) - £22 ticket

Hibs (a) - £21 ticket and £8 train

Rangers (a) - jammied a comp and zone card covered travel

Hearts (a) - £10 ticket (I think) and £12 train

Killie (a) - didn't go

ICT (a) - didn't go

Falkirk (a) - £21 ticket and £8 petrol

Aberdeen (a) - jammied another comp and was driven

Hamilton (a) - £22 ticket

St Johnstone (a) - £20 ticket and £10 petrol

St Mirren (a) - £20 ticket

Dundee United (a) - £10 ticket (Long story) and £12 petrol

Celtic (a) - didn't go

So thats £585 just for the games and getting there and have benefitted from a couple of comps. Add in what I eat and drink before and after and the three away games not on the telly to come so when you look at that its probably £800.

Then you add in the fact that I follow Scotland a well (only at home this season) and any replica tops I buy this hobby costs me £1000 p/a. I should actually be sectioned.

We never ever take a good crowd to the OF games these days due to all of the reasons already stated. I was in the manky end with a free ticket and thats the only way that I'll be at Parkhead or Ibrox in the forseeable future, I wouldnt give the bastards the money, even though Id had no dinner I still refused the delights of their pie stall.

Thats my real reason for not going regularly to Glasgow games, but when I add up the cash i've spent on following the 'well this season it must run into a couple of grand, season ticket, flights to Romania, trip to Wales, spending money, domestic away trips, strips for the kids. So I feel absolutely no guilt at not making the 10mile journey from Bellshill to Glasgow on a regular basis.

our support is a joke. we want european football but we've got non league fans.

3,000 in nancy. 2,000 in llanelli. 150 max 14 mile down the road.

I assume you were one of the few that went to Albania! Cos we can always ask for the piccies to be uploaded to check :unsure:;)

I honestly think we are all arguing the same point. I’m sure the lads on here moaning about the lack of support are single, no mortgage, no kids the rest including myself have all these commitments.

Personally I have 3 kids, mortgage and wife who has no interest in football.

Before all this in my younger days I went home and away every week for years, different priorities now same as most. Didn’t buy a season book this year for first time in 15 years and just picked and chose home games, never went to any away games, went to France and Wales and hopefully get an away euro trip this year.

Would do this every year to be honest, pick and choose games and take the big away euro trip. After following the well everywhere for nearly 20 years, I’m 35 now, I know I don’t need to prove how much of a fan I am to anyone, not going to a Celtic midweek game is not the measure of if you are a fan or not.