M.f.c. Defence

LadywellToi

looking at the highlights there the defending was poor but we had zero protection from the midfield. if you watch the first goal it was 4 hibs attackers against our back 4 without another well player within 15 yards. as ya beezer said hateley had an unbelievably bad game which left us with coke as our only midfielder and gave hibs free reign to pile men forward.

i'd seriously think about playing fitzy at left mid on saturday and hateley back at right back.

looking at the highlights there the defending was poor but we had zero protection from the midfield. if you watch the first goal it was 4 hibs attackers against our back 4 without another well player within 15 yards. as ya beezer said hateley had an unbelievably bad game which left us with coke as our only midfielder and gave hibs free reign to pile men forward.

i'd seriously think about playing fitzy at left mid on saturday and hateley back at right back.

Badly missed Jennings and Lasley last night in order to offer protection. Nevertheless, Ruddy and the backline were a mile out.

If Fitzy is fit, then I'd also play him on Sunday. Need to try and keep it tight, albeit I say this everytime we go to Ibrox and invariably lose an early goal. On this occassion though, we could really benefit from turning it into a snoozefest.

fitzy's two best games for us were the win over celtic in spring 08 and the game in nancy. this is his type of game (ie one where he doesn't need to do too much with ball).

he put in a good shift up at pittodrie at left mid and i think he could shore us up a bit on sunday. we've got enough attacking options from coke, o'brien, sutton and the juke, we need workers as well.

I was thinking Reynolds had a good game last night, but the goal highlights put that to bed. Hughes was mental taking Stokes and Riordan off. As soon as stokes was off, Reynolds had the freedom to do his thing as a ball playing centre half and Riordan off allowed the Hump to come on at fullback and forget defending. Its a shame Reynolds will be leaving, as I thought him and Hutchinson would've had a field day last night, Hutchinson battering through everything that came out of the air, Reynolds tidying up.

Saunders will be a great player I think, just needs more time. His aerial ability is ridiculous.

Coke doesn't appear to have the same defensive capabilities as Las or Jennings, but is far better deployed as a more attacking midfielder as displayed in his goal, bursting through with power and pace.

To be fair the whole defence had a real shocker.

Hammy should be able to read the 1-2 for the first.

Ruddy and Saunders failed to stop a scuffer for the Second.

We all knoe whos to blame for the 3rd (Coke). (Why dont players play SAFE and kick the ball out for a throw?)

Craigan didnt mark and follow his man for the 4th and tackle.

From memory the 5th was definately Sanunders fault for not closing down stokes. (Reynolds should have poked the ball away anyway)

Also i'll rant about that lazy Forbes, the boy wont run if he can help it Poor Poor Penalty. I'd have let Hately take it.

Only bad teams lose 10 goals in 2 games. Last night we conceded 6 at home which is criminal.

When you analyse where the goals came from - 2 resulted from the right-back position and 2 from the left-back position - then serious questions must be posed to the two guys in these positions.

Saunders is young and inexperienced and will learn and anyway is entitled to expect his 3 fellow defenders who are much more experienced to help him. IMO Hammell is a liability as a defender. He's great going forward but continues to repeat the same defensive positional mistakes over and over again. First and foremost full backs need to be competent at defending and anything after that is a bonus.

Can only say last night was one of the most exciting games I can remember watching ever at Fir Park! I know we shouldn't have conceded 6 goals but who cares now!!! The strength shown to come back was amazing to witness.

Well done all involved, from Craig and Archie, to the players, and most of all the fans for singing and screaming their hearts out.

Bet I'm not the only person today with nae voice left!

Bet I'm not the only person today with nae voice left!

People keep asking me if I have been out drinking :notworthy:

Anyone thought of fatigue? Did everyone forget that we played nearly 50 competetive games this season? Surely with a young team we have, we knew we would probably suffer towards the end of the season and I think it just becomming apparent that this has been a looong, looong season.

Obviously a very good Hibs team (at times the best football in Scotland) didnt help our defense. Craigan is great, but slow. Saunders young and with nealy no xp what so ever. Hammell took a day off yesterday and Reynolds was left alone at times. Blaming Ruddy for any goal apart from the 2nd is stupid imho! We were simply outplayed at times, these things happen and I would also think that from 4 goals on, we didnt think about defending too much anymore anyway.

I wont find many friends, but I think we need to find a replacement for Craigan in these fast paced games. Saunders is no right defender and we know that Hammell can do much, much better.

Time to worry, of course - do we need to think about changes? Yes! Time to panic... No, not yet!

fitzy's two best games for us were the win over celtic in spring 08 and the game in nancy. this is his type of game (ie one where he doesn't need to do too much with ball).

He was also great against Rangers in the 0-0 draw at home last season. He's always played well in that defensive midfield role. More for cutting up play than anything else.

People keep asking me if I have been out drinking :blush:

Anyone thought of fatigue? Did everyone forget that we played nearly 50 competetive games this season? Surely with a young team we have, we knew we would probably suffer towards the end of the season and I think it just becomming apparent that this has been a looong, looong season.

Obviously a very good Hibs team (at times the best football in Scotland) didnt help our defense. Craigan is great, but slow. Saunders young and with nealy no xp what so ever. Hammell took a day off yesterday and Reynolds was left alone at times. Blaming Ruddy for any goal apart from the 2nd is stupid imho! We were simply outplayed at times, these things happen and I would also think that from 4 goals on, we didnt think about defending too much anymore anyway.

I wont find many friends, but I think we need to find a replacement for Craigan in these fast paced games. Saunders is no right defender and we know that Hammell can do much, much better.

Time to worry, of course - do we need to think about changes? Yes! Time to panic... No, not yet!

Hutchinson? Page?