New Shirt Sponsor

'WellGall

Pretty surprised by this. I was in the shop last Friday afternoon and it seemed everytime the phone went they were having the same conversation with whoever was on the line. Pretty much "When the sponsor is in place etc". I take it the number of calls and no doubt new and sought after stock sitting in a shop effectively gathering dust began to bite financially.

Wonder how many tops will be returned to have a sponsor put on them right enough? Not many I'd imagine.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The likes of Barcelona? :)

Cuando necesitado

As well as the free shirt sponsorship they were also giving UNICEF a €1.5 million donation every year. I would imagine this will now be stopped and UNICEF will be quickly replaced by a commercial sponsor to help repay a small part of their debt.

Small section from the UNICEF press realease...

In addition to the UNICEF-branded jersey, Futbol Club Barcelona (FCB) has also agreed to donate at least €1.5 million per year to UNICEF over the next five years to support UNICEF programmes for children all over the world. The first year’s donation will support programmes in Swaziland aimed at preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, providing treatment of paediatric AIDS, preventing HIV infection among adolescents and protection, and providing care and support for children orphaned and made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS.

“For UNICEF this is a priceless donation,” said Veneman.

Pretty surprised by this. I was in the shop last Friday afternoon and it seemed everytime the phone went they were having the same conversation with whoever was on the line. Pretty much "When the sponsor is in place etc". I take it the number of calls and no doubt new and sought after stock sitting in a shop effectively gathering dust began to bite financially.

Wonder how many tops will be returned to have a sponsor put on them right enough? Not many I'd imagine.

Just ordered the away top. Not sure re lack of sponsor. My first thoughts are that it would be great to have a MFC top without one. Then again if it is to be an innovative deal like Sports Relief, then it may well be worth having on the top.

It seems as if it is a done deal........based on gossip on here. Why then are the club not making an official announcement, unless there is a hitch.

It does prove one thing though. There is NO such thing as a secret down MFC way. There is always a leak or two.....wonder when the media will come sniffing?????

With that level of debt, they may have no choice but to sell the shirt to the highest bidder.

There debt to income was a lot higher in the late 90's/early 00's. During their bad times when they won fuck all even their own bank was refusing to give them a loan. The National Catalan Bank are back on their side. Hance why all money made from transfers will be added to the 50m Euro transfer kitty.

There are clubs in Spain up more of a shit creek than Barcelona that still refuse to sign sponsorship deals. Clubs have went bankrupt (Real Oviedo) when a shirt sponsor along with City approval (which most clubs have - Real Murcia have been offered a £25m loan from the Murcian local government) would have saved them.

Granted none as large as FC Barcelona.

There debt to income was a lot higher in the late 90's/early 00's. During their bad times when they won fuck all even their own bank was refusing to give them a loan. The National Catalan Bank are back on their side. Hance why all money made from transfers will be added to the 50m Euro transfer kitty.

There are clubs in Spain up more of a shit creek than Barcelona that still refuse to sign sponsorship deals. Clubs have went bankrupt (Real Oviedo) when a shirt sponsor along with City approval (which most clubs have - Real Murcia have been offered a £25m loan from the Murcian local government) would have saved them.

Granted none as large as FC Barcelona.

Eh? Real Oviedo are still going and have had various shirt sponsors :)

Eh? Real Oviedo are still going and have had various shirt sponsors :)

Real Oviedo went bankrupt in 2003 but were saved basically at the last minute from ceasing to exist. And their current sponsor is eh... their local government - have been since late 2002, early 2003.

Sorry, read my edit. The Local Government were/are their sponsor. If they had a more commercial sponsor it would have given the Council more chance to given them a "loan". The local government loan plus a commerical sponsor would have seen them able to pay their players (of course this is all theory, a month later they could have went still went bankrupt).

I thought you would have been able to tell the difference between a commerical sponsor and a joint venture sponsor? If you going like that Barcelona have had a main sponsor since 1987 or something like that when they signed a joint venture with the Catalan Bank.

I thought you would have been able to tell the difference between a commerical sponsor and a joint venture sponsor? If you going like that Barcelona have had a main sponsor since 1987 or something like that when they signed a joint venture with the Catalan Bank.

When I say 'sponsor' I mean someone, a company, government etc whatever, pay the club money in exchange for the name of this someone, company, etc being on the shirt.

Went up just there to see if there was a chance we could pick up our ordered tops before heading off to Norway.

Couldn't due to 'logistical issues'.

Can't imagine what these would be but there you go.

I know you know this . . . . .

However I'd imagine as the release date is agreed with the club then yer no gonna get it befor 9.00 am tomorra. legal, logistical - whatever. Again the shysters at Provan :lol: .

Try gettin a new release CD on a Sunday

Unfortunate aye - straightforward also aye