Ayr Friendly

brisbaneMFC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good from a confidence point of view, because although these games don't really matter its good to get wins on the board. We won't be over-confident though as all the wins were narrow, and most of the squad got some good game-time too.

Bring on Thursday!

Thats the kits that'll be worn on Thursday, plain back with claret numbers. Apparently the plain back is due Uefa regualtions, but was this the case last year? I thought we still had hooped shirts last year?

Players are wearing their European tops today. No hoop (plain back) due to UEFA regulations in case any of you were wondering!

Just back from the game, 300 0r so 'well fans at the game, and probably another 100 or so ho stayed in the pubs :huh: . Absolutely terrible performance, really really poor. Best player in Motherwell colours was Steven Saunders who played at right back, that apart it took until McHugh came on witha bout 10mins to go to actually make us look threatening. The kid has got to start on Thursday.

I have a real fear about Thursday now to be honest, the Icelanders will be far fitter than us and will be far fitter than the Ayr boys were today.

Hammel got taken off 10mins into the 2nd half and can onky presume he picked up some sort of knock. Humphrey was pretty frustrating, great pace and workrate but doesnt pick the correct option very often and his crossing could be improved. Forbes again played on the left of a 4-man midfield and it was as plain as day that he cant play there - far too slow to play wide. Sutton and Murphy were industrious but played as two single players rather than a partnership and neither player had any real chances in front of goal.

If we play like that on Thursday, we'll struggle badly.

Shuker and Gazapo were nowhere to be seen.

A win's a win, but not quite the hoped for boost going into the game on Thursday.

Friendlies are a means to an end, wins are a nice bonus ofcourse but its all really about building up fitness and sharpness for the competitive matches ahead so I'm not going to be too critical.......but I have to admit I had hoped for a bit more than what I saw today and remain a bit nervous about the game on Thursday night.

Sensible team selection I thought using what will likely be the squad for Thursday and leaving the trialists aside for the moment. But I don't think we managed a shot on goal the whole of the first half and had to make two or three timely challenges in the box to prevent what would have been good goalscoring chances. Ayr's goal was well taken and I couldn't argue their lead was undeserved at the break.

Second half we eventually came into it an were actually pretty dominant as the game wore on without creating that many goalscoring opportunities. We must have had close to fifteen corners but again never really made the most of them.

Positives - the good workout and result apart.

Nice finish from Forbes with the free-kick. I expect the debates will continue to rage about his usefulness over the season. Not a great display but that's two in two (or three if he came on at Forfar not sure) where he's been largely anonymous yet popped up with a goal of some class. Great composure and spark about McHugh for his winner too.

First time I've really had an opportunity to see Jonathan Page for any length of time and I liked what I saw even though I think left-back isn't his preferred position.

Flicking on to the official I see Brown has taken some culpability for the display with his instructions which may explain the display and may mean my concerns are a bit overstated.

I suppose we'll only really find out what shape we're in come Thursday.

Have to agree the match itself was not terribly inspiring, but it was a cracking wee day out.

Some over zealous stewarding at times but they were told exactly what was thought of their Health and Safety concerns :lol: and are probably still trying to solve the case of the missing ball, I was actually asked if I had the ball in my bag and whether they could check my bag, couple of fannies.

Oh and who thought it would be a good idea to have Ian (Mr pedantic) Brines as the Ref, he just seems incapable of letting a game flow.

Thats the kits that'll be worn on Thursday, plain back with claret numbers. Apparently the plain back is due Uefa regualtions, but was this the case last year? I thought we still had hooped shirts last year?

That explains it the lack of the hoop but we definatley had one in our Euro games last season. Must be a new directive. Ridiculous.

Ayr were robbed simple as that. No way we deserved to win. A draw would even have been sneaky. Worryingly, Ayr played the same simple pass through the centre of our defence about four times. It was dealt with but a better team/better players would have been more clinical.

Humphrey may prove to be Gannon's least succesful signing for us. I'm just not convinced by him as a winger and unless he converts to be a solid and reliable right back I don't think he will be a week in week out first choice pick.

That is twice I have seen Randoph play and I still haven't a clue if he is any good :lol: Had very little to do and I can't recall him making a save.

A striker is a major priority. JOB needs to be replaced. We could do worse than Shuker. Is Fitzy injured or something?

who is tom bradley?? on team sheet as goal keeperas was jonathan page. :lol:

New U19 keeper I think.

Managed to find a pic from last season and the shirts were hooped. Must be a new rule or we ignored it last season :lol:

15_McHugh_grabs_his_first_senior_goal.jpg

Knew it! :D

Absolutely terrible performance, really really poor. Best player in Motherwell colours was Steven Saunders who played at right back, that apart it took until McHugh came on witha bout 10mins to go to actually make us look threatening. The kid has got to start on Thursday.

I have a real fear about Thursday now to be honest, the Icelanders will be far fitter than us and will be far fitter than the Ayr boys were today.

If we play like that on Thursday, we'll struggle badly.

Would agree with that in its entirety. Have not yet seen the official site, but that was a worrying performance with the Europa tie approaching. No creativity until the last 10 minutes. McHugh would be a better bet than Murphy on that evidence. Forbes scored but par for the course did little else. In saying that Ayr scored with their only shot on target. I felt the Randolph could have done better.

Page looked half decent when he came on, especially going forward.

Sussed out the baldy foreign type was the Breidlablik manager when he was in the Bowling club next door - nearest place for a pint if you were wondering. On the basis of that performance he will hardly be quaking in his boots.

A VAST improvement required ahead of Thursday or embarrassment awaits.