Vs Brechin, Forfar And, Ayr United

Finlay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in Montrose in time for a Bervie Chipper Max ?

Don't believe tonight's result was ever going to be of paramount importance, more to do with game time and imbedding the new faces.

Shame we have lost out on Ruddy and Coke, but life and Motherwell FC goes on :D

No Bervie chipper in Montrose. It's 'Chips N Things'.

New keeper looked promising. Also looked distinctly alarmed at certain chaps shouting to see his Percy.

Decent run out for most of what looks like the first eleven tonight ( trialist x 2)

Surprised to hear Gazupo sounded busy, looke quite a bit out of it for me , but very early days to be judging

Wee suker )sp?) was involved heavily and looks reasonably tidy on the ball, but is on the short side of small but again far too early to tell if hes a find or not

Big Randolph looked best out the newbies, claimed a few high crosses under pressure which is a definite positive, not to clear on how much he could've done for their goal through the crowd of bodies

Saunders was excellent , defense as a unit looked better than early last year

Lasley stood out in midfield, Jennings looked well up for it early doors, some training will help :unsure:

Forbes goal was an absolute peach his only significant contribution but oh so important in the game we love.

Murph took a whack early on and big Sutts was solid for his stint

but the match was only an aside to the happenings at either side of the pitch by some fine steeds and a decorator

Nice trip up north for the game, and a very decent wee ground too. Had an old ramshackle main stand, a new modern-ish stand behind our goal, a covered terrace at the far end and a shallow wee terrace with hedge behind along the other touchline!

Fitba wise it was typical friendly stuff early on, and we should've gone behind as they missed a sitter. Second half was much better though, with three good goals and a much sharper performance.

Thought Shuker looked the better of the two trialists, but it wouldn't be fair to judge Gazapo too harshly on one run out. Reckon we'll see the likes of Fitzy, McHugh, Hutchinson and other trialists Rhys Weston on Thursday at Forfar. Still possibly looking for a lift to that one, if anyone would be kind enough!

Well done to Grimmy et al for early laughs too, mental!! :unsure:

He's actually on trial just now but, if he continues as he apparently did last night, he'll earn a contract. Could do with a bit of steel like that!

Hello,

Enjoyed the trip up and the ground was very tidy, a hedge, horses at the back of one of the stands and a wee ramp at the end of the pitch, which helped for target practice towards the fans :unsure:

I thought Shukes was outstanding in the 2nd half, a tricky wee winger, with lovely touches and when we put him behind the big two up front, he dictated things and we had a good spell scoring the 3 goals.

I would sign him in an instant as he was the creative flair that we need in the team.

As for Carlos the Jackel, I would give him another run out, he looked big and ackward to play against, with a few decent moves.

The black strips seem a temporary move, with Alex Ross getting in on sponsoring them with his ABR (Roofing) logo, however it did take a while to indentify the mystery sponsor.

Good run out for the boys and I think if we can get The Jackal and Shukes we will be doing alright.

There are all kinds of Well fans with all shades of opinions. Some like World Cup football like you and some don't, like me. Live and let live I say. I don't think it at all strange that some would rather stay in tonight and watch Uruguay V Holland but all I ask is that you understand that some fans would rather watch the friendly at Brechin. Nothing at all odd in that.

Aye, fair enough. I won't pretend to understand the compulsion/devotion/obsession that makes folk go watch a kickabout in Brechin over a World Cup semi-final, but it's their time to do with as they please.

Don't understand why football fans don't like the World Cup either really. Do some people just consider themselves a Motherwell fan and that's it, and so they don't bother with any other football? :unsure:

Cracking game last night anyway (Uruguay v Holland I mean), and the Brechin City v Motherwell result was decent too. Shame Murphy got injured though.

Was just a Puma training outfit with ABR Roofing (I think) on the front and MFC instead of the badge. Was quite smart looking, to be fair - a lot better looking than the two new strips in my opinion!

As for the other debate, I'm with Optimus Prime - I am far more interested in Motherwell playing Brechin in a friendly than I am in a Holland-Uruguay World Cup Semi Final because Motherwell are my team. The World Cup doesn't excite me much when Scotland aren't there, other than a passing interest in watching England blow it. After that- yes, I can admire some of the football on display, but I have no intention of being glued to a largely unentertaining month-long media circus that has nothing to do with any teams I support.

Nice trip up north for the game, and a very decent wee ground too. Had an old ramshackle main stand, a new modern-ish stand behind our goal, a covered terrace at the far end and a shallow wee terrace with hedge behind along the other touchline!

Fitba wise it was typical friendly stuff early on, and we should've gone behind as they missed a sitter. Second half was much better though, with three good goals and a much sharper performance.

Thought Shuker looked the better of the two trialists, but it wouldn't be fair to judge Gazapo too harshly on one run out. Reckon we'll see the likes of Fitzy, McHugh, Hutchinson and other trialists Rhys Weston on Thursday at Forfar. Still possibly looking for a lift to that one, if anyone would be kind enough!

Well done to Grimmy et al for early laughs too, mental!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Why would i watch a game on telly over a game i can go watch in person involving my own team? :lol:

That was my first trip to Glebe Park last night so it was nice to chalk another stadium off the list. I thought we played well in the 2nd half and certainly stepped it up a gear from the first. Shuker played well i thought, but he looks too much like John Spencer from afar :lol:

Ross Forbes may have scored, and a good goal it was, but i hope his performances start to pick up. Wasnt really at his best last night, but can understand its the first game back.

Aye, fair enough. I won't pretend to understand the compulsion/devotion/obsession that makes folk go watch a kickabout in Brechin over a World Cup semi-final, but it's their time to do with as they please.

Don't understand why football fans don't like the World Cup either really. Do some people just consider themselves a Motherwell fan and that's it, and so they don't bother with any other football? :lol:

Cracking game last night anyway (Uruguay v Holland I mean), and the Brechin City v Motherwell result was decent too. Shame Murphy got injured though.

Why do you bother being a Motherwell fan - you are sounding like a Man Yoo armchair fan! Why go to ANY Motherwell game when you can sit in your house or pub watching world class players in the Premiership on a Saturday? Why go to Midweek cup games when you can watch champions league?

I couldn't give a fuck if the 22 best players in the world were playing on the telly - going to a game in person is what it is all about. We were 2 and a half feet away from some of the play yesterday - that is watching football.

Don't get all big shot on Motherwell fans calling them sad for going to a MOTHERWELL GAME. We have seen 61 World Cup games in a month and 0 Motherwell games - maybe it was time for a change for some, eh?

And as for the game, some of the players looked tidy for an early season game. Forbes back to his best with a screamer. Jenno and Lasley were accomplished in the middle. I too thought the wee winger trialist was heaven and really involved - prob worth another look just to make sure but I'm afraid the big Spanish coo up front wasn't ideal. Give him another game on Thursday to be fair but I hope we have other 'Striker Irons' in the fire.

Press & Journal weren't overly impressed by our trialists, then...

MOTHERWELL GET ON SONG FOR EUROPE WITH GOALS BY SUTTON, FORBES AND LASLEY AT GLEBE PARK

Brechin given taste of Steel in friendly defeat

Published: 07/07/2010

Motherwell cranked up their preparations for European competition by defeating Brechin at Glebe Park last night.

Craig Brown's Steelmen face Icelandic side Breid Ablik in the second qualifying round for the Europa League next week and looked ready for the test as goals from John Sutton, Ross Forbes and Keith Lasley gave new Brechin boss Jim Weir a defeat in his first match.

With an eye also on the longer term, Motherwell fielded Spanish striker Carlos Gazapo as a trialist along with former Tranmere winger Chris Shuker, but neither impressed. They also handed a debut to goalkeeper Darren Randolph, who signed from Charlton.

Things did not get off to the best of starts when Brown had to substitute Jamie Murphy after just 20 minutes when he pulled up injured challenging for a ball.

With Europe just a week away the Steelmen took no risks, so Murphy was replaced by Sutton.

Randolph was called into action for the first time after 29 minutes, having to pluck the ball away from the head of Rory McAllister as Kevin Byers crossed into the box.

Encouragingly for Motherwell, the Irishman, who has a major task on his hands to seamlessly replace John Ruddy, showed a solid pair of hands.

Substitite Sutton came close to opening the scoring on 27 minutes when he found space on the angle to shoot but fired the ball into the side netting with his left foot.

Sutton atoned for his earlier miss on 47 minutes, scoring with a low shot across goalkeeper Craig Nelson from the right-hand side of the penalty area.

Motherwell doubled their advantage in spectacular style on 56 minutes when Forbes curled a shot into Nelson's top corner.

Keith Lasley added another on 68 minutes with a superb drilled shot from the edge of the box which gave Nelson no chance.

Brechin got some consolation as they pulled one back late in the game through substitute Jamie Redman.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...=#ixzz0szldrACh

Decent run out for most of what looks like the first eleven tonight ( trialist x 2)

Surprised to hear Gazupo sounded busy, looke quite a bit out of it for me , but very early days to be judging

Wee suker )sp?) was involved heavily and looks reasonably tidy on the ball, but is on the short side of small but again far too early to tell if hes a find or not

Big Randolph looked best out the newbies, claimed a few high crosses under pressure which is a definite positive, not to clear on how much he could've done for their goal through the crowd of bodies

Saunders was excellent , defense as a unit looked better than early last year

Lasley stood out in midfield, Jennings looked well up for it early doors, some training will help B-)

Forbes goal was an absolute peach his only significant contribution but oh so important in the game we love.

Murph took a whack early on and big Sutts was solid for his stint

but the match was only an aside to the happenings at either side of the pitch by some fine steeds and a decorator

I personally thought Gazapo was poor but obviously we need to give him another chance against Forfar and/or Ayr United to see what he can do. Although these are friendlies if he can't perform against teams of that standard what chance does he have in the SPL against the OF etc.? At this stage though I will be surprised if we signed him.

Shuker could go either way. Looked to be a bit short of match fitness and wasn't involved in the first 45 much but had a quality second half. Should have been on the score sheet as well. Should get at least an hour against Forfar imo.

Quality wee ground and I was well 'warned'about the hedge :D

Was that you that got chucked out decorator for jumping the barrier to get photies? :huh:

Was just a Puma training outfit with ABR Roofing (I think) on the front and MFC instead of the badge. Was quite smart looking, to be fair - a lot better looking than the two new strips in my opinion!

As for the other debate, I'm with Optimus Prime - I am far more interested in Motherwell playing Brechin in a friendly than I am in a Holland-Uruguay World Cup Semi Final because Motherwell are my team. The World Cup doesn't excite me much when Scotland aren't there, other than a passing interest in watching England blow it. After that- yes, I can admire some of the football on display, but I have no intention of being glued to a largely unentertaining month-long media circus that has nothing to do with any teams I support.

Not a fan of the kit we were wearing but agree about Motherwell over the WC.