Thursday Excitement - Teams/Hopes/Fears

carlukemurray

Forbes won us the game with dangerous delivery. The Islanders were comfortable on the ball and were unlucky not to punish us early in the second half. That said, we should have been out of sight by half time. We look fairly toothless upfront despite the ammunition being there. Can't see Breidablik beating us now, however a vast improvement is needed.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbes (6) I see the debate going on as regards Forbes. Can't run, doesn't look fit, even looks a little lazy sometimes but all our best stuff came off his foot whether it be crosses, corners, defence splitting passes and of course the goal.

Think you just described Davie Cooper AND Stevie Kirk!

Anyone know why the Motherwell players didn't have their names on the back of their shirts? Is it because it's a temp sponsor so they didn't want to spend money on putting names on a temp shirt?

Just because its Euro shirts I think. Only needs numbers. Was the same last season I'm sure.

I expect Hateley to be Dropped for the away leg. In the short time Saunders was on he looked more assured in defence and provided a greater threat in attack, thought he had bagged us a second goal.

Jennings was off the pace aswell, lost his man in the middle of the park far too many times. Always tried to be the spare man when it wasn't possible. Made a good recovery tackle near the end though. Lasley looked far superior next to him.

Humphrey is almost there. If his crosses had been put in at the penalty spot and not the 6 yard box it would have been more than 1-0. He should look to cut inside more often though when he has pace to burn.

Forbes was 2 players today. 1 could land the ball on a tuppence and the other couldn't pass to his own team mate, thankfully it was the former more often than not. However, The boy is just plain slow. He's definitley not lazy, was always getting back and cover as well as wanting the ball. Put in a few outstanding crosses, one inparticular should have been smashed in by Murphy.

Murphy wasn't sharp at all. Should have scored. Sutton was the same, won a good few headers though.

Gary Smith looks like a taller, bulkier Murphy. Had great movement when he came on and was unlucky not to get on teh end of a few balls over the top.

I expect Hateley to be Dropped for the away leg. In the short time Saunders was on he looked more assured in defence and provided a greater threat in attack, thought he had bagged us a second goal.

Agreed.

Jennings was off the pace aswell, lost his man in the middle of the park far too many times. Always tried to be the spare man when it wasn't possible. Made a good recovery tackle near the end though. Lasley looked far superior next to him.

Jennings was playing as a sitting midfield, central defender, right back and left back last night. It was so much easier for Lasley to make his name last night as Jennings job was to cover any defender that moved out of position, which weirldy both Craigan and Reynolds did often.

Murphy wasn't sharp at all. Should have scored. Sutton was the same, won a good few headers though.

I though Murphy did well in the first half. Held his line well, although maybe a yard of the pace which he wouldn't be if we were quarter/half way through the season.

Sutton in the first half was a beast. Connected almost everytime with Randolph's passes to him.

Gary Smith looks like a taller, bulkier Murphy. Had great movement when he came on and was unlucky not to get on teh end of a few balls over the top.

The tyoe of balls by Reynolds, if Craigan had done would have seen a 3-5 page thread denouncing Craigan as the worst player to ever play at Fir Park. The young lad had no chance once Reynolds got the ball, but he did make some good runs, and more will come from him.

At the end of the day, a wins a win, and we cant really ask for more than a win and keeping a clean sheet in our first game. Were we impressive? No. I was quite surprised when I got in the car after the game and heard the radio say we should have won it out the park.

Don't get me wrong, Im delighted to have won but I didn't see anything to suggest we are going to be having a great season…… just yet. Last night for me showed we are short of a striker and more importantly a player who can run at teams and open things up a bit, a JOB. Just a shame Slane sold out, as he would have been an ideal replacement.

The pitch looked fantastic, and whilst it did early doors last season, big slide tackles would always result in cavernous divots being excavated from the pitch. That wasn't the case lastnight which was very good to see.

Finally, what went on with the seat numbers in row F in the east stand? Either there has been a mess up with new number stickers or they have added in 4 extra seats. I sit in the row behind, and watching everyone struggle to find their seats, which had just been moved 4 spaces away was funny to start with, but as the game went on and more and more punters came in it really started to frustrate.

Regardless of the result next Thursday Bliki, I hope we can count on you becoming our honorary Icelandic Motherwell fan! ;)

Even though young Murphy looked a bit off the pace, I think it's clear to see that he's a special kind of player.

I'm glad he's signed a contract extension, as he'll only get better with time.

Re: Hateley/Saunders

Hateley hardly played any football in the warm up matches so must have been even more of the pace than the rest. I think I'm right in saying he only made 1 sub appearance in the 3 warm up matches and has been carrying an injury.

Saunders is good at attacking the ball but he still has a lot to learn about positioning, picking up his man, situational awareness, keeping in line etc. In fact against any opponent that moves around a bit, he worries me slightly. Last night he was caught out a couple of times but got away with it.

I'd stick with Hateley although I thought he was one of our poorer performers last night. It just seems to me Hateley at right back and a clean sheet go hand in hand.

Regardless of the result next Thursday Bliki, I hope we can count on you becoming our honorary Icelandic Motherwell fan! ;)

Even though young Murphy looked a bit off the pace, I think it's clear to see that he's a special kind of player.

I'm glad he's signed a contract extension, as he'll only get better with time.

I will look out for Motherwell results this season for sure and if you get past us hope you'll enjoy a good European run and get at least to the group stages.

Two auld c***s behind me last night sat all fucking game giving a running commentary...!!!

I never realised we had so many Icelandics playing for us as well...

"Well played Tamson"...

"Good tackle Stevieson"...

"Pass it Forbeson"...

"Well in, Cragieson"......

etc etc etc etc etc

ALL FUCKING GAME.....!!!!!

I was sitting in the PoD members section...it was like, if Saga done football tours......!!!!!

Pleased with the result last night. I would have taken 0-0 before kick off so 1-0 gives us a really good chance of going through.

One thing that I have found interesting with this tie is that for once the manager, players and supporters have gauged the opposition well. We were not unjustifiably confident, the team were professional and gave Breadablik the respect they deserved and ultimately put in a workmanlike competent European performance.

The players that stood out for me for good or bad were Murphy, Humphries and Forbes. Murphy because I think we have a really talented young player who is going to be a big player for us over the next few seasons, Humphries because unfortunately despite his pace his final ball is often woeful so the jury is still out and Forbes who is going to have a real love/hate relationship with the fans. No pace, no dig, at times a lack of desire (except when he was wrestling the ball off Hateley for free kicks) and yet a left foot that can turn a game on it's head.

One last observation was again the lack of pace in the team. Man for man Breadablik were faster (Humphries apart). I think we have to put that one down to genetics. If we do get through it may be worth trying to attract one or two of their best players to the club.

I thought we could and should have been well out of sight by half time, hope that doesn't come back to cost us, but overall Briedablik disappointed me, I expected them to come and try to frustrate and play a bit, but the fact the possession is almost 60-40 (I'm surprised it's that little tbh) showed that we had the game under control, just a bounce here or there and we'd have pumped them a la Flamurtari.

They look a very dodgy side when you fire balls in around the back post, keeper looks none too sure and a bit on the small side, something to maybe look to take advantage of in the away leg?

Overall, I can see us progresing because I see us scoring over there, but it won't be as comfortable as it should be.

Also, how many Briedablik fans? I counted 26, all doing there own N. Korea-style chanting.

So some folk thought Forbes was terrible? <_>

We wouldn't have won the game without him. Aye he doesn't have a change of pace and can't track back but he was by far our most dangerous player going forward.

Thought it was a decent performance last night given how far we are in the middle of July. Confident that getting another few training sessions under our belt will make a telling difference next week.

So some folk thought Forbes was terrible? :doh:

We wouldn't have won the game without him. Aye he doesn't have a change of pace and can't track back but he was by far our most dangerous player going forward.

Thought it was a decent performance last night given how far we are in the middle of July. Confident that getting another few training sessions under our belt will make a telling difference next week.

:nod:

we will win 1-2 over there

So some folk thought Forbes was terrible? :doh:

I'm wondering what game many saw?

On here I have read Humphrey was looking good, Jenno was shite and Forbes was/is murder.

Firstly our good players:

I thought Jenno ran the show in the middle and bossed the game for us!! My mate who was a neutral at the game thought the same!!

Forbes never wasted a single pass all night and got us the winner!!

And also how good was it to see guys like Reynolds and Hammell make us look like the composed professional team - both boys were VERY comfy last night. If it wasn't for Hammell's stinker every 4 games he seems to have he would have reached FAR higher heights in the game than Motherwell and Southend.

Secondly - Jury STILL out on Humphrey. Against part timers that Keith LASLEY dribbled the ball round he still couldn't beat a man coming inside. Sprint - By line - ball out of play - every time. Come on - it isn't hard to aim for the keeper with an outswinger that will pop it into the danger zone.

A goal, a win and a clean sheet. That's what Nancy got against us - if we do what they did in their away leg, score first - it will be all over and we can maybe even rattle a few in.

Humphrey is murder. Looks to have lost pace and I don't understand why he doesn't knock it past the boy and RUN. You're going to get past him, so go for it!

Disappointed with last night. A lot of poor performances on the park especially Hateley who has left off where he finished last season. Lasley kept the ball well but never had any urgency going forward and always went backwards with the ball. Jennings was a bit off the pace and i've still not seen much of an improvement in Murphy in the last 2 years. Apart from Forbes' delivery he offers nothing and Humphrey is still shite.

Defensively we did okay apart from the start of the second half and a couple of scares in the first half.

Not too confident about next week but hopefully i can be proved wrong. Mon the Well!

Disappointed with last night. A lot of poor performances on the park especially Hateley who has left off where he finished last season.

Wasn't to disappointed with the team a few more games should make a difference, but I have to agree with your assessment of Hateley he was the worst player on the park last night .As for Humphrey I just don't know what to make of this guy. :lol: